Applying For Girfriend To Visit Oz - Current At 2010

Hi,

My girlfriend and I met on the internet late November 2009. Things have progressed rapdily and I went to visit her for a week end of January 2010 and we have decided to apply for her to visit Oz for a minimum of 3 months later in the year. I realise things mayhave changed since many of the posts here so wanted to ask about requiremnts for providing financial support and proof of her ability to stay in Oz for 3-6 months. We will porbably go for 3 months initially. We have all of the communication proofd (phone calls and MSN logs and emails etc) stating intent and our relationship. She works permanent part time in BKK and it appears a rleatively good job but Thai wages are not so good as we all know.

I am empliyed full time here in Oz and have a good income.

My question revolves around two areas:

1. Deposting money into her account each month and how much I should provide. We have been told that doing this for 3 months before she applies for a Visa would be enough? Woudl be be a fair anount for this as I have no idea.

2. She has been separated for 4 years but not yet divorced as her ex wont pay anything towards her 2 kids if she "signs the papers". We have discussed bringing her kids to Australia and the possibility of marriage etc. but obviously a visit to our fair shores is a necessary start.

Any advice on the above and possible impact to a Visitors/tourist Visa application would be grealy appreciated.

cheers, Andrew

Andrew, I hate to burst your bubble. This looks like a scam. Why the need to deposit money into her account for 3 months to apply Visa??? This is strange. And what's this about ex not paying money if she sign the papers. Whether se sign or not, most time the wife don't get anything. There seem some reluctancy in her getting her divorce legal. Wonder?

Contrary to what some say....she doesnt need funds in the bank to visit Oz...she needs an Additional funds provider here in Oz....this is someone who is willing to support her while she is here. Proof required is about 6 months worth of payslips and/or a tax return notice. There is a specific question in relation to this on the application form.

A letter from her boss stating that she will have a job to return to would be a great help with the application.

The non divorce will not affect a tourist visa.

If you decide to marry in the future.....you will be supporting her and the kids...the ex's money becomes a non event....however if he is the biological parent then you will need his permission to let the kids come and live here.

With all due respect, your relationship started on holiday in Nov 09, that is 2 or 3 months ago. This will look very bad for a tourist visa application, suggest you wait at least another 6 months to prove the relationship. Also, you will VERY likely not get any longer than the 3 month stay on first application. Will have NO FURTHER STAY condition, so will require leaving the country before another visa can be applied for.

I think you are rushing into this.... give the relationship more time, you go visit her a few more times at least.

Avander you posted this on the 4th Feb 2010, you say you actually met her for 1 week at end of Jan 2010.

I would say you are rushing into this and what paperwork did she sign re the kids? :) and how much money were you asked to put into her bank account each month?

Before you do anything read the book Private Dancer.

Edited by OZEMADE

Why do people here treat a work of fiction as some sort of bible on Thai women.

Andrew.....what the others have said is correct.....you need to know her a bit longer prior to applying for any visa to Oz......Online time prior to meeting is not recognised by our humble Embassy as far as I know.....so your actual know time starts at the end of January.....you need at least 4 months, preferably 6 months of knowing her prior to applying. without that time you will not get a visa.

I'm no visa agent, but I can give you the voice of experience in a similar situation 1 year ago. You do NOT need money in her account. It's a case of EITHER her or YOU being the bread winner - not both.

My girl and I maintained a relationship online for about 4months with sms messages on phone bills and MSN logs too (LOTS of them).

- I came to visit her for 2 weeks (ended up being 3 due to airport closure) in november 2009.

- I also have a good income

- I had no long term savings

- My girl had almost no income at the time (although she'd had a job for years before)

- She is still seperated and not divorced - long story, but the *&$% won't sign the paper

- Total length of relationship was about 5 months when we applied

We were given a 3month no further stay visa.

The key points they seemed interested in was:

- Legitimacy of the relationship - they requested more photos when we'd initially provided 8. Fortunately we'd taken a lot together during my visit and provided another 8

- My ability to support her (including a good place to stay)

- A reason for her to return to thailand

We found the first tourist visa was the most difficult as they questioned her quite a bit. They actually seem as interested in protecting the girls in this situation as they do the border because the questions were all about me. It appears if you are going to sponsor her, you will be the main applicant more than her. Having said that, don't call the embassy! I got in quite a bit of trouble for calling with questions about her visa as a visitor visa is the girls choice and you are not to be involved actively (yes, i was very polite). I assume this is related to the protection thing too.

- Sounds like her kids are a darn good reason to return.

- If your income is good, try to make it so the your most recent bank statement ends with $3000+ in there as that's their magic number for ticking the "enough funds for length of stay" box.

- You will need 6months of statements and payslips as proof of income.

- Be honest and do NOT reherse lies for the embassy. Case workers can spot that a mile away.

- Write a good letter. On all visa apps so far, I've written thoughtful and honest letters that directly address the things they need.

Following the first visa, my girl went back to thailand to follow the rules and came back on another 6months and we are both in thailand now after 1.5 years total relationship and she was granted a Partner Visa (defacto) last week!

Don't believe the hype - follow the rules, do the paper work, be nice and it was a LOT easier than the angry types on here tell you it is. Good income helps a lot too.

Edited by Gats

The Dept of Immi & Citizenship (via Thai staff at the Embassy) will look at 2 main things.

Firstly, her ties to Thailand. They want her to go home after the visa expires. A house, children, family and job all help. Obviously if you are seeking a 3 month visa, the job is less relevant as not too many employers will give her that amount of time off.

Secondly, she must be able to support herself and not end up working illegally (usually in brothels). You should provide a letter outlining that you will be supporting her, paying for return airfares, travel insurance including medical, providing her with accomodation, food, incidental expenses etc. You should provide evidence of your ability to do this such as a recent income tax assessment or group certificate, recent payslip, recent bank statements.

Your letter should also outline the nature of your relationship and provide evidence of it. You don't have to be bonking her, she can just be a friend. In your case evidence of communications, photos with her and family and friends all help. You do not have to support her financially whilst she is in Thailand so putting money in her bank account is NOT required.

I would not apply for a visa longer than 3 months on your first attempt. They will determine the visa request on the information you provide in the application so they will happily knock back a 6 month request when they may have granted a 3 month or less visa. They won't turn a 6 month request into a 3 month visa. You will probably get a 12 month multiple entry visa on your 3rd or 4th successful attempt.

Probably best to wait until your next trip to Thailand before applying as you will be helping with the form completion and you should go to the Visa center with her. For some reason it seems to help.

If she does get the visa, brief her on what she can and can't bring into the country. The visa does not guarantee her entry, especially if her bags are full of fresh Isaan insects for eating. Tell her she can buy them here.

I will put one down side in addition to this. What is your long term plans?

I only ask you to think about that because the road is very long and hard to go to permanency and her having 2 children in thailand makes the process a LOT harder. To meet the requirements for a year for defacto (only option if she can't get a divorce) you will have to either move to thailand or she will have to abandon her children for a year. Even then, to migrate her, the children will require permission to move and you will require police checks. I found beurocracy to be very demoralising when you're not together. I was fortunate because my girl was able to stay with me in Aus for the long haul first. I have a friend who married a woman with a thai child and they just couldn't finalise until they finally got permission from her thai son's father - that took months and they were married with a daughter of their own.

If you love her, I would start trying to find a way to move here for 6 months after the first visit. The internet conversations ARE proof of relationship for a visitor visa, but they do not come into play for a permanent one. Living together with the exception of all others is the only way to go that far.

It will test the relationship and do try to avoid being a bank account for somebody you're not living with. If she wants to be with you, that will be more important to her than sending money. I planned the later steps from the start including coming here for 4months to apply for permanency. The embassy will look for that sort of determination to be together before they take you seriously.

All good advice apart from

"If she does get the visa, brief her on what she can and can't bring into the country. The visa does not guarantee her entry, especially if her bags are full of fresh Isaan insects for eating. Tell her she can buy them here."

Having a bag of insects, fruit etc will have no bearing on her

being allowed entry to Australia.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

"If she does get the visa, brief her on what she can and can't bring into the country. The visa does not guarantee her entry, especially if her bags are full of fresh Isaan insects for eating. Tell her she can buy them here."

Regards

Will

It is very good advice given the attitude of AQIS about strange food and bugs. They are not immigration, but the ones that check your bags for the stuff you are bringing in

The fines and grief at the airport may impact on teruk's impressions of Aus. That could put a dampener on her visit and her willingness to come again.

(Quote fixed in quote)

Regards

Will

It is very good advice given the attitude of AQIS about strange food and bugs. They are not immigration, but the ones that check your bags for the stuff you are bringing in

The fines and grief at the airport may impact on teruk's impressions of Aus. That could put a dampener on her visit and her willingness to come again.

(Quote fixed in quote)

Yes I agree, but it still doesn't have any impact on her being allowed

entry to Australia as the poster was implying.

Regards

Will

Be aware that children and sick and/or elderly relatives DO NOT constitute a reason to return!!

Many girls are happy enough to leave the kids in the country while they go to work in the tourist areas.

They also say that if the sick or elderly relatives require the applicant to look after them that much, then she shouldnt be going in the first place...

The best things that give reason to return are jobs and property, however if the girl has an additional funds provider, that does cover the reason to return.

MY ADVICE IS NOT WHAT YOU WILL WANT TO ACCEPT BUT YOU WILL IN TIME KNOW IT IS CORRECT.

YOU HAVE FALLEN IN LUST QUICKLY AS MOST OF US NEW GUYS DO FIRST TIME AROUND.SO EASY TO DO AND IF YOU WANT TO MINIMISE ANY DAMAGE THEN TAKE YOUR TIME BEFORE APPLYING FOR ANY VISAS.READ UP ABOUT THAI CULTURE, POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE.GO BACK AND VISIT HER AGAIN AND IF POSSIBLE SEE HER WARTS AND ALL.THE HONEYMOON LOVESTRUCK MODE YOU ARE CURRENTLY IN HAS LITTLE CHANCE OF SUCCESS.WOULD YOU DO THIS SO QUICK WITH AN AUSSIE LADY?OF COURSE YOU WOULD NOT AND SHE WOULD BE OF YOUR OWN CULTURE. FINDING A COMPATIBLE THAI LADY PARTNER TAKES TIME AND EXPERIENCE OF WHICH TO THIS POINT YOU HAVE NOT SPENT OR GAINED.SLOWLY MY FELLOW AUSSIE AND WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE CLOUDS YOU WILL SEE WHAT MOST OF US ARE SUGGESTING IS BOTH CONSTRUCTIVE AND HELPFUL.

• 1 year later...

For anyone who is Interested.......

My girlfriend, now fiance, was given the 3 month tourist VISA and left Oz in August last year. She hated the Sydney Winter at first but one month in started to like the place and by the 3rd month didn't want to go home again!

Since then the relationship has progressed and we applied for a Fiance visa in November 2010. I went back for 3 weeks and we had a party in December/January simulating a wedding but not doign the official bits.

It has taken 5 months for the fiance Visa so far and we are now at the end of the process. We used an Immigration agent for the Visa initially but are now dealing direct with the Embassy as a result of lack of service by the agent. Needless to say they won't get paid the balance owed as a result. We have our Aussie wedding planned for April 23rd and have been told by the case worker at the Embassy there wont be any problems.

All the documentaiton is in and OK and we have been told the applicaiton will be approved.

My fiance has been in regular phone contact with the case worker and developed a relationship with her. Thsi seems o have made a positive difference to the process. She goes to the embassy next week for an interview and they should grant the Visa very soon after that. I didn't know the embassy staff work weekends but the case worker phoned and organised the interview with my fiance on Saturday! Maybe they are just working overtime to clear a backlog? While the process has taken 5 months for us we have been told that very recently it has become more difficult. I have no idea why but apparently we are one of the last being processed under "old rules".

There have been a lot of learnings along the way and one of them is to avoid immigration agents unless you can find one recommended by more than one person. Make sure it is a substantial and professional business. Even these don't guarantee reslts as it is the people and their service ethic that seem to make the difference.

I have been supporting my fiance and her kids for a while now and many question why this has been necessary? It is now apparent to me that apart form proving I can support them when they get here because the case workers (we have had two) are Thai and of course, they have cultural bias such as looking favourably to providing some financial support. And no, I haven't had to "buy the farm", build a family home or support her mum or other members of the family. I have met the 'support' expectation so it has proven beneficial to the Visa process.

Also, you should expect the unexpected and delays because while we were well prepared and thought we had covered all the bases there were a couple of minor mistakes on forms which had to be corrected and additional requirements the agent did not make us aware of and we didn't realise form our own research! This all added to the process time.

if you can, get your girlfriend/fiance to develop a relationship with the case worker directly at the embassy. They can do this by phone and you need to be persistent as they are pretty busy. This provided us some advantages along the way.

Everyone can have a bad day (or week) and it seems to me the case workers are pretty damned busy also so expect some mood swings along the way and stay polite. Unless you really get mucked around and your fiance cant resolve it by contacting the case worker you shouldn't need to escalate things.

I have no concernes with the final interview next week andwe are just waiting for the OK which should happen soon after.

It aint quite over yet but "the fat lady is on the stage".

Hope the above provides you some useful info. :)

regards,

Andrew

For anyone who is Interested.......

My girlfriend, now fiance, was given the 3 month tourist VISA and left Oz in August last year. She hated the Sydney Winter at first but one month in started to like the place and by the 3rd month didn't want to go home again!

Since then the relationship has progressed and we applied for a Fiance visa in November 2010. I went back for 3 weeks and we had a party in December/January simulating a wedding but not doign the official bits.

It has taken 5 months for the fiance Visa so far and we are now at the end of the process. We used an Immigration agent for the Visa initially but are now dealing direct with the Embassy as a result of lack of service by the agent. Needless to say they won't get paid the balance owed as a result. We have our Aussie wedding planned for April 23rd and have been told by the case worker at the Embassy there wont be any problems.

All the documentaiton is in and OK and we have been told the applicaiton will be approved.

My fiance has been in regular phone contact with the case worker and developed a relationship with her. Thsi seems o have made a positive difference to the process. She goes to the embassy next week for an interview and they should grant the Visa very soon after that. I didn't know the embassy staff work weekends but the case worker phoned and organised the interview with my fiance on Saturday! Maybe they are just working overtime to clear a backlog? While the process has taken 5 months for us we have been told that very recently it has become more difficult. I have no idea why but apparently we are one of the last being processed under "old rules".

There have been a lot of learnings along the way and one of them is to avoid immigration agents unless you can find one recommended by more than one person. Make sure it is a substantial and professional business. Even these don't guarantee reslts as it is the people and their service ethic that seem to make the difference.

I have been supporting my fiance and her kids for a while now and many question why this has been necessary? It is now apparent to me that apart form proving I can support them when they get here because the case workers (we have had two) are Thai and of course, they have cultural bias such as looking favourably to providing some financial support. And no, I haven't had to "buy the farm", build a family home or support her mum or other members of the family. I have met the 'support' expectation so it has proven beneficial to the Visa process.

Also, you should expect the unexpected and delays because while we were well prepared and thought we had covered all the bases there were a couple of minor mistakes on forms which had to be corrected and additional requirements the agent did not make us aware of and we didn't realise form our own research! This all added to the process time.

if you can, get your girlfriend/fiance to develop a relationship with the case worker directly at the embassy. They can do this by phone and you need to be persistent as they are pretty busy. This provided us some advantages along the way.

Everyone can have a bad day (or week) and it seems to me the case workers are pretty damned busy also so expect some mood swings along the way and stay polite. Unless you really get mucked around and your fiance cant resolve it by contacting the case worker you shouldn't need to escalate things.

I have no concernes with the final interview next week andwe are just waiting for the OK which should happen soon after.

It aint quite over yet but "the fat lady is on the stage".

Hope the above provides you some useful info. :)

regards,

Andrew

Thanks for posting with regards to your experience.

The process hasn't become more difficult, it has just become longer. Standard processing times for applications received prior to the 7th of February 2011 is still 3 months. All applications received after that date, standard processing time is now 10 months.

Bridge

• 3 months later...

I would not apply for a visa longer than 3 months on your first attempt. They will determine the visa request on the information you provide in the application so they will happily knock back a 6 month request when they may have granted a 3 month or less visa. They won't turn a 6 month request into a 3 month visa. You will probably get a 12 month multiple entry visa on your 3rd or 4th successful attempt.

Hi,

can anyone else confirm the above. I've been trawling through this site looking for answers so can someone please shed more light.

This will be my girlfriends first visit to OZ. She got a letter from her employer and I'm doing everything from my end supporting funds letters etc We plan for her to come for 10 days in August then again around Christmas. She won't be employed after November so a letter from an employer won't be possible at that point. We prefer a multi entry.

So my question is a 6 month tourist visa difficult to get on a first attempt? And if they don't grant a 6 month visa, are immigration likely to 'downgrade' to a 3 month visa? Or is is 6 months or nothing.

Thanks.

Which visa is issued is at the discretion of the Embassy.....

You may ask for a 12 month ME and get a 6 or 3 month single entry,

You might ask for 6 month and a 12 or 3 month

You can ask for a 3 month and end up with a 12 or 6 month

Or you may actually get what you ask for.

In other words......Ask for the visa you want.....accept the visa you get.

Edited by gburns57au

Which visa is issued is at the discretion of the Embassy.....

You may ask for a 12 month ME and get a 6 or 3 month single entry,

You might ask for 6 month and a 12 or 3 month

You can ask for a 3 month and end up with a 12 or 6 month

Or you may actually get what you ask for.

In other words......Ask for the visa you want.....accept the visa you get.

I agree with this post by gburns57au. You wont get what you don't ask for. At the end of the day it comes down to the substance of the application. I have said it many times before, a good/solid application is not just a completed Form 48R but the supporting documentation that accompanies it.

At the end of the day it comes down to how strong the