No More Free Thai Tourist Visas From March 5, 2010

No more free Thai tourist visas from March 5, 2010

BANGKOK: -- (THAIVISA.COM) The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok, who oversees the Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates worldwide, today confirms to Thaivisa.com that visa fees will be levied for all visa classes from March 5, 2010. Tourist visas are valid for a 60 days stay and may be extended at local Thai Immigration offices.

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category (free of charge) must possess return or onward ticket plus adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family). The permitted length of stay given is 30 days when entering via an International airport, or 15 days if entering through land border crossing or sea border.

Tourist Visa Exemption countries are: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bahrain, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Singapore, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America and Vietnam.

Thailand holds bilateral agreements on visa exemption for holders of passports from Brazil, South Korea and Peru, and these passport holders are given a 90 days stay.

Citizens of Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Maldives, Mauritius, Oman, Poland, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Taiwan and Ukraine who need to apply for a 15 day Visa on Arrival at designated checkpoints and Airports will again be charged from March 5, 2010.

Tourist visas has been issued free of charge since June 25, 2009 in an effort to revive the Thai travel and tourism industry.

As mentioned above, all Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates will start charging again for Tourist visas from March 5, 2010.

-- thaivisa.com 2010-02-04

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said before it was said Thai Visa .com last year the free visa's where only going to be avialable till this March.Pity I'm coming back the end of march early April Damm always a bridesmaid never a bride.

me too sucks..any idea on how much they are charging?

Do you really think it will make a big difference. Most tourists and travelers will get a free visa on arrival anyway. Even if they are from a country which requires them to have a visa I doubt very much that whether or not the visa will be free or not will make much difference in regards to their travel plans.

I was walking my dog the other day in the tourist area of Chiang Mai.. I felt like I was in... Thailand

As all I saw were only Thai people all around us.. I did not see many "white folks"... It actually felt strange not seeing any "falong" tourists floating about..

I rarely go to town as I live way out in the Thai boonies.. I am the only "falong" in my village..

Where is everyone?? The streets at night are totally empty unless some sort of Thai goings on..

Maybe I will try those monthly VFW meetings..

onoz not a visa fee!!! better change your travel plans ASAP!

Given the escalating, and very public martial posturing going on at the moment, I dont think visa fees are going to account for a lot of revenue, and certainly wont be a factor in tourists deciding to tour elswhere, like, somewhere not threatened with blood on the streets.

Do you really think it will make a big difference. Most tourists and travelers will get a free visa on arrival anyway. Even if they are from a country which requires them to have a visa I doubt very much that whether or not the visa will be free or not will make much difference in regards to their travel plans.

I agree with you entirely.

:)

It was indeed a wonderful gesture, even though I still paid $135 AUD for the triple-entry tourist visa.

Who can live for 14 days in Thailand on $45 AUD in style anyway?

Good move, but all good things must come to an end.

I'm not used to this much logic when in Thailand, so thanks for doing the right things at the right times. After all, it's the thought that counts.

This will not make any noticeable difference at all.

Agreed. A triple entry tourist visa used to cost me $120 Canadian. Then, last fall I got one for free and knew it was too good to last. I would come anyway, regardless of cost. It's STILL a good deal.

onoz not a visa fee!!! better change your travel plans ASAP!

Given the escalating, and very public martial posturing going on at the moment, I dont think visa fees are going to account for a lot of revenue, and certainly wont be a factor in tourists deciding to tour elswhere, like, somewhere not threatened with blood on the streets.

next time i'll make a footnote when im playing around :)