What Is Wrong With My Internet?

melbat

I have TOT 3 meg in Phuket. When I do a speed test i get good speeds nearly always about 3 meg download. The problem is my pages wont load or cannot get into some sites at all. If I do manage to get into some pages I cannot load pages from the site i'm in. Is this a problem with my modem/line or is it a problem with TOT internet? I just canceled Maxnet and gone to TOT because of same problem. This problem seems to be in afternoon and evenings.. mornings are ok.

Standard problems here in Thailand, fast speeds available within the Kingdom but once you access a website outside of Thailand everything slows down to snails pace!

Afternoons kids get home from school and hit the internet therefore increased demand, evenings people get home from work and hit the internet again increased usage all of which slows everything down.

Standard problems here in Thailand, fast speeds available within the Kingdom but once you access a website outside of Thailand everything slows down to snails pace!

Afternoons kids get home from school and hit the internet therefore increased demand, evenings people get home from work and hit the internet again increased usage all of which slows everything down.

The problem is the same everywhere in LoS. The usual Land of Jokes tricks. TOT sold me an ADSL promising higher speed. Bullocks! If there is no connection for hours, the speed is ZERO. As soon as I switch my PC on, the permanent cookie is there, saying cheerfully: Status-connected. Speed-100Mb/sec. Bullocks again! My Messenger can not sign in, Internet Explorer can not display anything! Ring up TOT 1100. Blah-Blah...

For English press 9. Press 9 and you are thrown back to Blah-Blah. Try this at after 5pm

times...

No alternatives (in my location), no competing ISPs, no cable. But plenty of TIT smiles.

Helpless rage is all I can afford. Last night got through to Internet site, try to download. The actual speed of download clocks at 0.5Kb/sec!!!. Gave up on it...

HELP! CAN ANYBODY HELP ME? PLEASE. :D:)

I dunno about that. Kids also use internet in school and adults use internet at work so I don't see any increase in demands in afternoon or evenings.

But for sure there are less people using the internet after 10 pm.

There is a huge difference in my residential location from late afternoon to about midnight (when the kids come home) and on weekends. The internet is not used that much at school or business compared with the games/chats at night.

Try ad blocking or up date the ad block you have. The pages hang while waiting for the ad sites to respond which is worse went the net gets busy because the sites can't handle the desire of every web site on the internet wanting 25 hits per page. This is slowing the internet. Its one of the worst type of spam issues on the internet today but web site make money from it so they won't fix it. That is why you can download but not surf.

There is a huge difference in my residential location from late afternoon to about midnight (when the kids come home) and on weekends. The internet is not used that much at school or business compared with the games/chats at night.

Mine is the complete opposite.

Week days especially during the work hours (9 AM - 5 PM) is the worst for me.

The problem is the same everywhere in LoS. The usual Land of Jokes tricks. TOT sold me an ADSL promising higher speed. Bullocks! If there is no connection for hours, the speed is ZERO. As soon as I switch my PC on, the permanent cookie is there, saying cheerfully: Status-connected. Speed-100Mb/sec. Bullocks again! My Messenger can not sign in, Internet Explorer can not display anything! Ring up TOT 1100. Blah-Blah...

For English press 9. Press 9 and you are thrown back to Blah-Blah. Try this at after 5pm

times...

No alternatives (in my location), no competing ISPs, no cable. But plenty of TIT smiles.

Helpless rage is all I can afford. Last night got through to Internet site, try to download. The actual speed of download clocks at 0.5Kb/sec!!!. Gave up on it...

First of all, I fully understand the frustration of having this problem...

But don't say it is the same everywhere in Thailand.

I have never had any problems like that where I live now, Samutprakan, Bangpoo area, True Internet 12Mbs.

Inside Thailand it is usually quite close to the bandwidth I have paid for, International is is lower but that is also what they say... They promise 512kbs international and I often get a lot more than that.

I have maybe 3-4 times per year a complete loss of bandwidth and I have to call True (interesting discussions sometimes). Connections goes down and immediately up again maybe once per week or so... I log it, otherwise I wouldn't see it at all.

Are you sure you computers are ok? You can try booting your computer from a Live CD and test again...

The 100Mbps you have indicted on you computer is the speed of the network between you computer and the router. As far as I know none of the ADSL is 100Mbps speed yet. (I may be wrong here).

I had problem with connections in Huahin 2002. I was hired as IT manager on a resort. When I started working there, the line was down 3-4 days per week and the business suffered from delayed emails. I set up logging and called every time it was down, sent emails with the logs and asked for refund for the downtime. One month later the situation was a lot better and about 3 months later the connection was normal with maybe one hour down per week...

So don't give up, log everything, test everything to rule out problems with your own computers/router etc before you call. Try to get to the same technician every time you call. I even got the mobile number to one of the technicians. It helped a lot...

Martin

times...

I have never had any problems like that where I live now, Samutprakan, Bangpoo area, True Internet 12Mbs.

Inside Thailand it is usually quite close to the bandwidth I have paid for, International is is lower but that is also what they say... They promise 512kbs international and I often get a lot more than that.

I have maybe 3-4 times per year a complete loss of bandwidth and I have to call True (interesting discussions sometimes). Connections goes down and immediately up again maybe once per week or so... I log it, otherwise I wouldn't see it at all.

Are you sure you computers are ok? You can try booting your computer from a Live CD and test again...

The 100Mbps you have indicted on you computer is the speed of the network between you computer and the router. As far as I know none of the ADSL is 100Mbps speed yet. (I may be wrong here).

I had problem with connections in Huahin 2002. I was hired as IT manager on a resort. When I started working there, the line was down 3-4 days per week and the business suffered from delayed emails. I set up logging and called every time it was down, sent emails with the logs and asked for refund for the downtime. One month later the situation was a lot better and about 3 months later the connection was normal with maybe one hour down per week...

So don't give up, log everything, test everything to rule out problems with your own computers/router etc before you call. Try to get to the same technician every time you call. I even got the mobile number to one of the technicians. It helped a lot...

Martin

Thanks, Martin. Very kind of you to respond. My VAIO had all programs booted from CDs. I also have a Norton 360 to keep it clean, and it reports no problems. I understand about the cookie, but it really rubs things in when there is no connection. Took my ADSL router to TOT, they checked it and said it's OK.

I am not ambitious, I would be happy with 1Mbs, as long as its there. Maybe my problem is that I am about 200km from BKK? And the Earth is not round but flat? Usually after 5pm I lose the Internet for hours. Drives me nuts. Good idea to ask the busters for a refund on a pro-rata basis for downtime, but I am not a computer wiz, don't know how to set up monitoring. It even may be inbuilt somewhere, but I am a real computer bum, typing with one finger only. As I said, thanks for compassion. :D

times...

Martin

Thanks, Martin. Very kind of you to respond. My VAIO had all programs booted from CDs. I also have a Norton 360 to keep it clean, and it reports no problems. I understand about the cookie, but it really rubs things in when there is no connection. Took my ADSL router to TOT, they checked it and said it's OK.

I am not ambitious, I would be happy with 1Mbs, as long as its there. Maybe my problem is that I am about 200km from BKK? And the Earth is not round but flat? Usually after 5pm I lose the Internet for hours. Drives me nuts. Good idea to ask the busters for a refund on a pro-rata basis for downtime, but I am not a computer wiz, don't know how to set up monitoring. It even may be inbuilt somewhere, but I am a real computer bum, typing with one finger only. As I said, thanks for compassion. :D

P.S. Since it deteriorated severely in the last week, could it be related to the TOT/AIS dispute?