New, Latest Phone

Lost in LOS

I live here full time. I always had Motorola razor phones, latest versions, I love the phone but I reluctantly am thinking of changing to a new phone. The internet and the camera just don't cut it.

Here are the things that are important to me

1. reasonably good camera, at least 3MB, more preferred [razor 2mb]

2. I text a lot and want one that allows this [razor just okay]

3. Must also be able to use Thai language although English is the priority

4. good web access for checking stocks etc. [razor sucks]

5. reasonably easy to use [razor great]

6. size - be able to carry in front pocket [razor is great for this]

what are your recommendations for something available in Thailand. Personal use, not business use, price not a priority

Thanks in advance

Edited by Lost in LOS

iPhone all the way

just reading where the new one wont be unlocked?

http://absolutelybangkok.com/the-truth-abo...ne-in-thailand/

Ancient article, please dismiss this outright.

Facts are: True is selling the 3GS unlocked for 24,500 baht excluding 7% VAT for 16GB. Use with any provider, AIS, DTAC, whatever, no problems with upgrades.

So yeah if you have the money, the iPhone cannot be beat. Especially for web access. Texting is very nice too. Thai/English switch is seamless thanks to soft keyboard. I have German and English keyboards, works perfectly.

iPhone is still about 3 years ahead of everyone else.

iPhone all the way

just reading where the new one wont be unlocked?

http://absolutelybangkok.com/the-truth-abo...ne-in-thailand/

Ancient article, please dismiss this outright.

Facts are: True is selling the 3GS unlocked for 24,500 baht excluding 7% VAT for 16GB. Use with any provider, AIS, DTAC, whatever, no problems with upgrades.

So yeah if you have the money, the iPhone cannot be beat. Especially for web access. Texting is very nice too. Thai/English switch is seamless thanks to soft keyboard. I have German and English keyboards, works perfectly.

iPhone is still about 3 years ahead of everyone else.

which is the best model to get in thailand, the 3GS ? do I get the increased memory to 32megs? I dont know a thing about them but will be keeping it for a long time if I like it. Do they have 3G in pattaya? do i need to sign up for a special plan in thaland or do i just plug in my sim card 12 call and go? What about special apps, do I need extras. Can I get them here? Sorry about all the questions but I dont have a clue and although google tells me about the phone it doesnt say too much about thailand.

The iPhone 3GS all the way - or a HTC Hero with Android OS might be nice as well.

I don't understand the fuzz about BlackBerrys as their screen's real estate is quite limiting. Or maybe you wanna have a look at the newly upgraded Storm 2?

At MBK you can even get Google's Nexus One already, but sets you back 38,900 baht ...

If you're buying a new iPhone True has some nice packages on offer: 599 baht/month for unlimited Wi-Fi/EDGE and 3G (where available) including 300 voice minutes and 300 SMS.

If you wonder how 3G works in Thailand, because we actually do not have yet 3G, google "3G's here why the rush" ...

I'm not allowed to post links here, but this article will give you the necessary background.

Good luck with your decision and let us know how you decide!

3GS 32 G. looks like the way to go. i think I will go to the store in pattaya and check it out. what price should I be looking to pay so I know if they are giving me the "farang" price or not. I can speak enough thai to get the right price but I need to know what the right price is.

Should I be looking at any accessories or does everything I need come with it?

thanks for all the help guys

True shop will sell it for 30,xxx Baht including VAT.

It comes with a earphone, and the charger / connection pack

I recommend you to ask a protection film on the screen, and a plastic cover for the body....

I bought mine from True shop, and it has a 1 year guarantee. You can then install more application from Apple store on line , using your ITune on your computer. Some apps are free, some are not, but you will find thousands of them....

Have fun !!!

thanks guys, looks like I will be going to a true shop in pattaya and buying the 3GS 32G, hopefully for 30K+- baht. Will let you know how I like it, I will miss my razor V9 but it is old technology......

I have a 12 call Sim card, can I use it and keep the same number? I have that number for 4 years and would hate to lose it

Current promotion

iPhone 3GS capacity 32GB with package 26,400 baht or handset only 28,500 baht + vat

current package 599 baht per month

Voice (Any networks) 300 min

SMS 300 sms

MMS 50 mms

3G*/EDGE/GPRS unlimited

Wi-Fi (Speed 1 Mbps.) unlimited

Edited by Lost in LOS

Yes you can use with 1-2-call, I am using it. Just get one of the data packages.

For unlimited data, the true post paid plan is the best deal in Thailand though, I am thinking about switching. If you want to use Push notifications, for example, you need unlimited data. Or if you want the phone to check email every 5 minutes.

Both functions drain the battery much faster too though, so it's battery life vs features, plus some savings you get. Example I have a 100 baht 20 hour plan. As long as I keep push off, and auto email checking off, 20 hours is plenty for a month of medium usage. Because half the time you are on a WiFi network anyway, not using the minutes.

Edited by nikster

thanks for all the info, i will be getting one in the next couple of days. I am still a bit confused about the package [senior moments?] and the true people arent real clear. I have a 12 card that is pay as you go, will it still be pay as you go with the package after the package minutes run out? If I need to top up the phone how do I do this?

Phone 3GS capacity 32GB with package 26,400 baht or handset only 28,500 baht + vat

current package 599 baht per month

Voice (Any networks) 300 min when I want more time do I just top up like normal or do i have to visit a true office

SMS 300 sms same question

MMS 50 mms currently dont use this function

3G*/EDGE/GPRS unlimited

Wi-Fi (Speed 1 Mbps.) unlimited

I want the thai language and the thai dictionary functions, I am assuming they come with it standard?

Any more apps I should get or is it pretty well set up already

Is there a security function that I can safely trade stocks, check bank accounts etc like on my computer?

I dont want to overthink this but I have experience [TIT] and know if I get the stuff I need upfront then all is well and getting it after buying it is not always so easy

thanks

iPhone drove me nuts with being so locked down, and only being able to do one thing at a time. Blackberry Storm is a great concept but was rushed to market unfinished which also drove me nuts. I think a Google Nexus or a Droid are your best bets right now, until Blackberry learns to start making phones with the same attention to quality that Apple does, or Apple learns to let us do what we want with our phones.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also in the market for a new phone. At the moment it's an HTC touch and I had it with touch screens. Back to buttons please.

There is one HTC phone with keyboard, there are the blackberries (expensive, though) and there are the good old "real" phones such as Nokia E71...

I need to:

check my e-mail

sync contacts with Outlook (windows phones can sync only the root folder, not the sub-folders...if there is any phone out there that can sync the sub-folders, I'm game!!)

I would like to:

internet

GPS

I'm also in the market for a new phone. At the moment it's an HTC touch and I had it with touch screens. Back to buttons please.

iPhone. The difference to other touch screens is, the one on the iPhone works, in fact it works fantastically well, so well that you never miss a keyboard. Ever.

The competition is slowly, slowly getting there, but now that the technologies are getting ready, Apple's erected a mountain of patents so it's not going to be easy for others to copy.