Thai Wife, American Child?

I have a question....

My wife is Thai, we were married in America, been married now for 4.5 years. Our first child is on the way... should be here in a matter of hours:)

The question is this....

The child being born here in America, will ofcourse be considered an American.

My wife has a green card, and we plan on returning to Thailand.... returning to live there in a year or so.

I have heard that her green card could be revoked if she stays outside of America for an extended period of time.... if this is true, the fact that she is the mother of an American child, will this allow us to travel to and fro from Thailand to America with frew hassles...

Hope someone has some info on this...

Thank you

I am also concerned about by my wife... Will she be able to travel to America without any hassles because A) she is my wife :o she is the mother of an American

You see I think her green card will be revoked because she may be out of America for longer than a year at times.

I am also concerned about by my wife...  Will she be able to travel to America without any hassles because A) she is my wife :o she is the mother of an American

You see I think her green card will be revoked because she may be out of America for longer than a year at times.

The maintenance rules for a green card are, according to my British friend who has one, to be physically present in the US on at least one day in every year. I don't know how automatic the revocation is if you miss it, but I am guessing it is all computerized now. If you travel and keep documentation of the trips every year there shouldn't be any problem...

Great question , I have heard that she must return ever 6 months . Not 100% on this I WILL be checking into this deeply , as it concerns us as well . Our baby will be due on the 22nd of May . However she will be born in Thailand , but my wife also has a green card from the U.S. Imm. told me that there will be no problem as long as she ( my wife ) is a perm. res. which she is , for her and the baby returning to the states as she wishes ( in that time frame ) PLEASE keep us informed as to how its going with your situation as I will in return .

Edited by Jeff1

I have a question....

My wife is Thai, we were married in America, been married now for 4.5 years. Our first child is on the way...  should be here in a matter of hours:)

The question is this....

The child being born here in America, will ofcourse be considered an American.

My wife has a green card, and we plan on returning to Thailand....  returning to live there in a year or so.

I have heard that her green card could be revoked if she stays outside of America for an extended period of time....  if this is true, the fact that she is the mother of an American child, will this allow us to travel to and fro from Thailand to America with frew hassles...

Hope someone has some info on this...

Thank you

Have you considered having your Naturalized and getting her a US passport? Generally, if she has had the green card for 5 years she is eligible:

General Naturalization Requirements

She can keep her Thai passport and use that for entry into Thailand. This is also why it was recommended you get the child a Thai passport as well.

As far as I know, she will need to return the US at least once a year to maintain the green card. Exceptions are made for military and employees of US corporations working overseas. Getting the reentry permit after being gone for more then a year can be a hassle and most people I know whose wives have green cards just go back once a year for a couple of weeks.

TH

If she's been in America a long time, been a solid citizen, paid taxes, etc..., you should never have a problem getting a tourist visa in the future, even if she loses her Green Card. She's already been through the ringer that is the system for Green Cards before. Can't imagine the BKK Embassy folks turning her down in the future on a tourist visa.

Edited by Dr. Burrito