51 Yr Old Us Citizen, Thai Wife <-- Best Visa?

Sorry, going blind reading so many threads with so many changes and variables... so I'll just ask for help:

What's the best visa option for a 51 year old USA citizen with Thai wife. About 20,000B per month income from states and at least 360,000 in my Bangkok Bank acct. after entry. My wife has a green card, if it makes a difference. We'd like to settle in Bangkok but could go for Nong Khai.

You do not meet the requirements for Retirement Visa/Extension.

For a 12 month extension based on Marriage you need 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank for a period of 2 months before applying. OR 40,000 Baht a month income.

Failing that a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa would give up to 15 months but would need a border run every 90 days.

Best option would be to stick a bit more in the bank.

There is also a 60 day extension from Immigration to visit your Wife.

That might give a bit more time.

From the Immigration Extension rules. For the 12 month extension.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

There is no such thing as a marriage visa.

A non immigrant O visa for entry and then you can extend your stay for one year at a time after that with proof of 400k in bank account for two months first year and three months later. Will requires wife and a handful of paperwork (mostly copies) and marriage paperwork will have to be registered here (if marriage was not done here). You can not combine income and bank accounts so it is either 40k per month income or 400k in account.

If you do not believe you can meet the extension of stay requirements a multi entry non immigrant O visa is the best option. That provides unlimited stays of 90 days each for a period of one year from issue date. For new stay you have to exit Thailand, enter other country and return for new 90 day stay.

A non immigrant O visa for entry and then you can extend your stay for one year at a time after that with proof of 400k in bank account for two months first year and three months later. Will requires wife and a handful of paperwork (mostly copies) and marriage paperwork will have to be registered here (if marriage was not done here). You can not combine income and bank accounts so it is either 40k per month income or 400k in account.

If you do not believe you can meet the extension of stay requirements a multi entry non immigrant O visa is the best option. That provides unlimited stays of 90 days each for a period of one year from issue date. For new stay you have to exit Thailand, enter other country and return for new 90 day stay.

Hi i'm in the same situation but come from england. i already have a 60 day extention on marriage grounds. I have read you can go to kl for a non O visa, but am not sure if this is a multi non o? Do you know where i can get a muti entry non o from, dont want to have to return to england, to cold!!!

Hi i'm in the same situation but come from england. i already have a 60 day extention on marriage grounds. I have read you can go to kl for a non O visa, but am not sure if this is a multi non o? Do you know where i can get a muti entry non o from, dont want to have to return to england, to cold!!!

KL will issue a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa.

Take Marriage Certificate and a bank book with around 100,000 Baht in it.

A letter from your Wife asking them to issue the Visa may help.

At the top of this forum, there is a pinned topic with latest reports from the region. Here are a couple of them that may provide more detailed information.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Multiple-Non...45#entry2970145

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Success-Non-...73#entry2525073

For KL I would be sure to have copy of wife ID card as well as marriage certificate and bankbook of 100k. They may also ask for copy of her home register so would also have that and a short note asking for visa to be issued to halp prove you are really together.

Well... I will likely put the 400,000B in our bank account and put more eggs in that basket than I really want to. I get to stay for 1 year without leaving with an extension of stay non-O, correct?

For the 40K a month income, can I show gross rental income and not show mortgage AND taxes+insurance on my rental house in the USA?

It looks like Kuala Lampur is the place to go for a multi entry non immigrant O visa if I decide to buy a condo, and have less than 400,000B in the bank. Is there no Jack Golf Cambodia run for those?

Edited by ding

Well... I will likely put the 400,000B in our bank account and put more eggs in that basket than I really want to. I get to stay for 1 year without leaving with an extension of stay non-O, correct?

For the 40K a month income, can I show gross rental income and not show mortgage AND taxes+insurance on my rental house in the USA?

It looks like Kuala Lampur is the place to go for a multi entry non immigrant O visa if I decide to buy a condo, and have less than 400,000B in the bank. Is there no Jack Golf Cambodia run for those?

Yes, you will be extended for 1 year from your original entry date. The demonstration of monthly income is a letter from your embassy witnessing your affadavit stating whatever you put on the paper. Can be any kind of income as long as you swear to the amount.

I dont understand the second question.

Yes. With a 12 month extension of stay you do not have to leave the country.

If you wish to you have to get a Re Entry Permit from Immigration.

You do have to report your address every 90 days to Immigration.

If going the income route you need a letter from your Embassy Certifying the income.

The USA Embassy do not require any poof but Immigration know this and occasionally ask.

For KL just get a flight and do it yourself. It is pretty straightforward.

I do not think you should have any problem in declaring gross income from rental property (i.e. you would not be lying on your sworn statelemtn to the US Embassy).

Since it is in fact your real "income"; the fact that you may have a mortgate or credit card bills or any other debts to which you are making payments should not matter... this would still be a true representation of your income.

As far as I know there is no requirement to deduct all monthly expenses from your income it is after all. monthly income... not monthly "spending cash" after deducting all expenses...

I do not think you should have any problem in declaring gross income from rental property (i.e. you would not be lying on your sworn statelemtn to the US Embassy).

Since it is in fact your real "income"; the fact that you may have a mortgate or credit card bills or any other debts to which you are making payments should not matter... this would still be a true representation of your income.

As far as I know there is no requirement to deduct all monthly expenses from your income it is after all. monthly income... not monthly "spending cash" after deducting all expenses...

No, but it shall be net income, after tax.

Do I need to show my previous year(s) tax statement to my US embassy - or just the lease agreement? If so, in transition period it would show unassociated income - from job, etc.

Or do I project a reduced income stream taking tax rate into consideration?

I just don't want to jump until I know how much visa runs will cost yearly. It will be a bit tight for 4 years until my early retirement comes in at 55 years old.

America is going nowhere good and I want to get my family out sooner than planned. Thanks for the great help mates!

Edited by ding

The Brits have to show proof of income to get their income letter from their embassy. And from discussions on this forum, I remember that gross rental receipts were perfectly acceptable.

Having said that, this doesn't mean the Brits have the inside skinny on Thai Immigration requirements (heck, Thai Immigration probably doesn't even know what the real requirements are). In the rare situation where you would be asked to produce your rental details to an Immigration officer, just make sure the document shows only "gross" receipts. Trying to explain away all the expense deductions just might trigger the concept of "disposable" income -- a concept not in your favor.

And I would agree with CWMcMurray that you don't need to cross your fingers when using your gross income in your sworn statement.

Do I need to show my previous year(s) tax statement to my US embassy - or just the lease agreement?

You don't have to show anything to the US Embassy/Consulate. They don't require proof (unlike the Brits, and others); they're only affirming your oath that: "he receives in amount of US$......every month from the US Govt and/or other sources." Notice, you're not even swearing it is "income." It could be a cash flow from Aunt Martha.

In rare instances (as reported here, anyway), Thai Immigration might ask for proof. But, again, this is apparently rare. Just be prepared with "gross" statements, per the above post.

Thanks yet again!

I called the Oregon ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL, Honorary - and they did confirm that I could get a non immigrant O with a lease agreement for over 40K Baht. They also said I could get the free tourist visa from them for 60 days by March 3, 2010 if I use it by June 3, 2010, by the way.

But I can't get through to the Thai Embassy in Washington DC by phone. And their website seems to be down.

Royal Thai Embassy

1024 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Suite 401, Washington DC 20007

Telephone: (202) 944-3600

Fax: (202) 944-3611

E-mail: [email protected]

URL: http://www.thaiembdc.org/

hours:

M-F 9-12:30 and 2-5pm EST

closed holidays

Edited by ding

I called the Oregon ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL, Honorary - and they did confirm that I could get a non immigrant O with a lease agreement for over 40K Baht.

Huh!? For Non Imm O visas, at Thai consulates within the US, you don't need proof of income. In your situation, you'll just need proof of marriage to a Thai wife.

There must have been some misunderstanding. Portland, and all other Thai consulates abroad, don't dabble in requirements for extensions of stay based on marriage. Or any other kind of extension of stay. The closest they get is the issuance of 'long stay' O-A visas, based on retirement eligibility. And that requires 65K, not 40K.

Where did you find that the 400,000 baht requirement increases to 3 months prior to renewal after the first year? In the Order of the Royal Thai Police Headquarters No.777/2551I, paragraph 2.18, I see that there is a 2 month requirement only: "not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year."

The police order speaks indeed of only two months, but in practice many immigration offices require the money to be there for 3 moths after the first extension. Some will let you sign a statement declaring that you know it has to be 3 months.

That always appeared to be an error in printing as was different for no valid reason to the retirement option. About a year ago Immigration seems to have changed policy to make both the same 2 months first time (to allow getting on a 90 day entry) and 3 months thereafter.

Do I need to show my previous year(s) tax statement to my US embassy - or just the lease agreement? If so, in transition period it would show unassociated income - from job, etc.

I just don't want to jump until I know how much visa runs will cost yearly. It will be a bit tight for 4 years until my early retirement comes in at 55 years old.

America is going nowhere good and I want to get my family out sooner than planned. Thanks for the great help mates!

Welcome to Thailand. You do have much better circumstances than other nationalities as an American. The Thai government seems to have a good relationship regarding visas for you. Some get their extensions without showing any financial security…..

But in your case, you’ve got some cash and a monthly income; I wouldn’t worry about your visa. Make your Non-O in the States, if possible. Thailand is really a nice place to live. Take care.

Welcome to Thailand. You do have much better circumstances than other nationalities as an American. The Thai government seems to have a good relationship regarding visas for you. Some get their extensions without showing any financial security…..

But in your case, you've got some cash and a monthly income; I wouldn't worry about your visa. Make your Non-O in the States, if possible. Thailand is really a nice place to live. Take care.

Sounds like you have the Thai side of things figured out, but better check on your wife's green card, she may lose it if she is outside the states for more than 6 Months, unless you arrange for a re-entry permit ahead of time. Actually it is 180 days we have been checked several times, when we have been close.

The woman in Portland Oregon's honorary consulate assumed I knew I had to apply in LA, Chicago, DC, or NY. I didn't, thanks JimGant. She was polite, professional, and very helpful, btw.

Here's info for guys who try a search like I did and need more specifics. I'm trying to contribute here what I can;

USCIS LINK

What do I need to reenter the United States? (for Green Card holder)

To reenter the United States, a permanent resident normally needs to present their green card for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for trips that last longer than 1 year but less than 2 years. For more information, see the”Travel Documents” link to the left under “Green Card Processes & Procedures.”

What if my trip will last longer than 2 years?

If you remain outside of the United States for more than 2 years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa, you may be considered to have abandoned your permanent resident status. However, in determining whether your status has been abandoned, any length of absence from the United States may be considered, even if less than 1 year.

A re-entry permit allows a permanent resident or conditional resident to apply for admission to the U.S. upon returning from abroad during the permit’s validity, without having to obtain a returning resident visa from a U.S. Embassy or consulate.

Permanent or conditional residents should apply for a re-entry permit if they will be outside the United States for one year or more.

A Re-entry Permit, USCIS form N-470, is needed for a Green Card holder to re-enter USA if gone more than a year. Just a Green Card should be good for re-entry if returning within a year, but USCIS can deny re-entry. Not clear and conflicting info on USCIS instructions for me as of now. But to get a Form N-470 passed she must be inside the USA for 1 year uninterrupted as a Green Card holder prior to getting N-470 long term absence re-entry permission. If she was a religious missionary the rules and requirements don't apply for some reason.

The woman in Portland Oregon's honorary consulate assumed I knew I had to apply in LA, Chicago, DC, or NY.

ding, I'm afraid we're getting wrapped around the axle here.....

Maybe you asked Portland for info on "extensions," and they nicely shared what they knew about the requirements. BUT, "extensions" are only obtained in Thailand from Immigration. Portland -- and the other consulates in the States -- only issue visas. Which is, of course, your first step enroute to Thailand, after which you can then work on getting your one-year extension (which is where the 40k income or 400k socked away comes in).

I suggest you get a Non Imm O multi entry visa. It costs a little more, but should you have problems getting your extension after your arrival in Thailand, you'll at least have about 15 months in Thailand (using 90-day border runs) to work out the kinks.

No need to use the MFA consulates (DC, LA, NY, or Chicago), as the honorary consulates can issue you your Non Imm O multi entry visa. You've already found Portland to be helpful, so why not stick with them? And, again, having a Thai wife should make the process a piece of cake. Just be sure you have Portland go over exactly what they require. This can all be done by mail.

Good luck.

ding, I'm afraid we're getting wrapped around the axle here.....
Lol, yep - just look for the guy on the track with the banner trailing from his brake caliper, That'd be me.

I'm not clear often, but think I got it.

I can apply in Portland Oregon or LA for a 'non O Visa'.

And my Thai wife needs to be here a year with a green card, or we need to return within a year.

I would later apply in Thailand for 'non O extension' with the 40K a month income or 400K in the bank for 2 months -married to a Thai.

LA embassy is impossible, but all other general embassies say we have to go through them - except the honorary one in Portland. The official ones close when they should be open, staff is late and fill-in staff give bad info, or LA just NEVER answers the phone... etc.

(Or we could just go to Cambodia instead and get a cheap and easy business visa selling trinkets on ebay, done, period, end of story.... it seems they want me there!)

Edited by ding

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

I am curious about something.

If you have been staying in Thailand for one or more years on a marriage extension based on 40K/mo. income and tomorrow they up that to 80K/mo. income, are you "grandfathered in" at 40K?

I am asking because I heard that they are going to raise the monthly income bar yet again (not sure about this).