Mbk To Pratunam By Canal Video

Stekmer

The canal boat ride from MBK to Pratunam along Khlong Saen Saep is quite good fun and I think a must do for any first time visitor. . . . This video is longer than I usually upload on YouTube but I wanted to incorporate the directions into the video. From Pratunam Pier you can head toward Panthip Plaza, past lots of large shopping complexes with AC food courts. . . . If you catch a boat heading the other way (coming from the right) it will take you to the Golden Mountain, another easy and fun trip.

Edited by Stekmer

Great video!

That's a great introduction to the MBK, (or otherwise known as Saphan Hua Chang), pier. This is also the closest pier to the BTS, but you take the BTS to Rachatewi Station, and come to the pier by the opposite way that you came. (You traveled north from MBK, from BTS Ratchatewi you travel south - it's a little closer than MBK)

I'm surprised that the fare is 8 Baht for one stop to the east (Pratunam), because if you take the west-bound boat the three stops to the Golden Mount (Phan Fa Lilat) it is also only 8 Baht. Oh well, 8 Baht isn't much!

The canal boats are for hardened expats only. It would leave an appalling impression on any first time visitor. With those old boats pumping out lethal black diesel fumes and splashing toxic water over people's faces it's also the most unhealthy way to travel in Bangkok.

:):D:D You'd be surprised how many tourists DO use this boat, some people like to live a little! As I said in another post related to the khlong taxis, I think it is the best way to travel from downtown to the old city in the west end. Much cheaper and faster than a taxi, but yes, a little more exciting as well!

Great video!

That's a great introduction to the MBK, (or otherwise known as Saphan Hua Chang), pier. This is also the closest pier to the BTS, but you take the BTS to Rachatewi Station, and come to the pier by the opposite way that you came. (You traveled north from MBK, from BTS Ratchatewi you travel south - it's a little closer than MBK)

I'm surprised that the fare is 8 Baht for one stop to the east (Pratunam), because if you take the west-bound boat the three stops to the Golden Mount (Phan Fa Lilat) it is also only 8 Baht. Oh well, 8 Baht isn't much!

The canal boats are for hardened expats only. It would leave an appalling impression on any first time visitor. With those old boats pumping out lethal black diesel fumes and splashing toxic water over people's faces it's also the most unhealthy way to travel in Bangkok.

:):D:D You'd be surprised how many tourists DO use this boat, some people like to live a little! As I said in another post related to the khlong taxis, I think it is the best way to travel from downtown to the old city in the west end. Much cheaper and faster than a taxi, but yes, a little more exciting as well!

And a lot cheaper--and safer, despite the toxic water--than a motorcycle taxi!!

• 2 weeks later...