Adopting Your Wifes Child

I don't know about the Thai procedures, but for the UK end see Thinking about adopting a child from another country?

If your purpose is to allow the child to live in the UK with you and the child's mother, then there is no need for you to adopt the child.

See Settlement; Children

I'm moving this topic to Visas and migration to other countries, where you will probably receive more advice.

I don't know about the Thai procedures, but for the UK end see

If your purpose is to allow the child to live in the UK with you and the child's mother, then there is no need for you to adopt the ch

We all live in the uk already , I just want to legally adopt my wifes child ....

It also depends if the father of the child is still alive.

This can complicate things, if so the adoption will be classified as a "soft" adoption.

Also the natural father needs to agree with the adoption.

Anyway, the mother still being alive also makes the adoption a soft adoption.

I guess going through the adoption in Thailand might be simpler, but not faster.

After that you will probably have to go to the court in the UK to make the adoption valid in the UK.

You can do the adoption in Thailand by yourself, you do not need a lawyer.

Having a lawyer does not speed up things, just makes everything more expensive.

Success

You need to see a lawyer about that. The adoption will probably be an international adoption, which must be done in Thailand while it must also be done according to UK-law, if you wish British citizenship for the child. That means a lenghty procedure to follow, including a home study.

The father of the child must also be contacted and give his permission. A good start is the family section. There is a pinned topic there about family law, with a link to the adoption procedure.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Family-Law-t313877.html

You need to see a lawyer about that. The adoption will probably be an international adoption, which must be done in Thailand while it must also be done according to UK-law, if you wish British citizenship for the child. That means a lenghty procedure to follow, including a home study.

The father of the child must also be contacted and give his permission. A good start is the family section. There is a pinned topic there about family law, with a link to the adoption procedure.

Thanks to your replies , the father is not on the birth cert even though he is alive , he has had no contact since before birth and my wife felt he did not deserve to be on there for his desertion , they were only married in the village 10 months before he cleared off , now I somehow feel a moral obligation for him to know ... but then again I think it will be easier without his interferance , Thoughts ? and again thanks ....