Getting To Koh Lanta In May

JAS21

So we have booked from May 4th to May 12th at a Koh Lanta Hotel on Kantiang Bay. We propose to drive down from BK and either stay the night with friend in North Phuket or a nearbyl hotel.

My wife has been given information that the Hau Hin Ferry will still be running at that time, but I would like confirmation of this. Does anyone know for a fact if the ferry (it's a car ferry) will actually still be running then and/or the phone number of the ferry company. I appreciate that it won't run if the weather is bad and in that case I will have to make alternate arrangements.............thanks.

I take the car ferry all year round, don't worry about it not running, for sure it will still be running.

Also, you need not call them, you just pull up to the booth and pay, que up.

North of Phuket is still 3 hours away, Ao Nang is only 50 minutes and will have cheaper accomodations for you.

Enjoy, Kantiang Bay is excellent.

I find that initial post very puzzling. Why would you drive from Bangkok to Lanta via Phuket. Phuket is another 2+ hours drive past the Lanta turnoff, near Krabi. Just worried that you don't know that.

Thanks, but we drove down to Phuket a couple of months ago so have quite an idea. My wife fancied and so did I, an island holiday and I found a real deal at Pimalai...the beach looks great.

My understanding is that the Hau Hin ferry is about one hour from Krabi, so not much more from north Phuket, actually our friends live the other side of the bridge. Anyway, I ment to say that we will be visiting friends (near) Phuket, stay a night or two, silly not to when we have driven all the way from BK. We are retired so time is meaningless.

I take the car ferry all year round, don't worry about it not running, for sure it will still be running.

Also, you need not call them, you just pull up to the booth and pay, que up.

North of Phuket is still 3 hours away, Ao Nang is only 50 minutes and will have cheaper accomodations for you.

Enjoy, Kantiang Bay is excellent.

This is the Hau Hin Car Ferry? it's quite cheap I understand, about 140 baht for a car and one person and about 20baht for each passenger? I was quoted quite a high fee for the hotel to arrange from somewhere in Krabi. I was also told that it runs until at least the end of May...just didn't want to get a nasty surprise...thanks...can you please just clarify.

I find that initial post very puzzling. Why would you drive from Bangkok to Lanta via Phuket. Phuket is another 2+ hours drive past the Lanta turnoff, near Krabi. Just worried that you don't know that.

Thanks, but we drove down to Phuket a couple of months ago so have quite an idea. My wife fancied and so did I, an island holiday and I found a real deal at Pimalai...the beach looks great.

My understanding is that the Hau Hin ferry is about one hour from Krabi, so not much more from north Phuket, actually our friends live the other side of the bridge. Anyway, I ment to say that we will be visiting friends (near) Phuket, stay a night or two, silly not to when we have driven all the way from BK. We are retired so time is meaningless.

Ah..I have just found the Hau Hin Ferry on the map..........now I understand....one hour the far side of Krabi towards Trang

Actually you need to take 2 separate ferries to get to the main lanta island. you pay for both of them at the first ferry point, quite cheap, but I can't exactly remember what we paid last time. Not much more than 100 baht for the car and 2 pax. You just wait and queue up for the next ferry, it's only short crossings, about 10 minutes each, with about a 10 minute drive between ferry points. Small ferries so if a lot a cars & trucks waiting, and only one ferry on duty then you could wait as much as one hour. we were unlucky and waited a while.

We were there in May a couple of years ago and I'm sure the ferry runs all year round. Many place close down 1st May for the low season. Was very quite, not many tourists about. Not much choice of resturants and bars, other than at the hotels still open. We found very relaxing, nice beaches.

• 2 weeks later...

I was there in November and drove down for the day from Krabi, the passenger ferry is really cheap, sorry I can't remember how much either. The ferry is just like the Woolwich ferry in London although a little older, you shouldn't have any problems getting across. Koh Lanta is a very nice place, somewhere I will visit again and spend more time. Much of what Livinginkata said above covers everything.

John......

• 2 months later...

make sure you go to white roc resort klong nin on a sunday the best roast dinner in thailand

make sure you go to white roc resort klong nin on a sunday the best roast dinner in thailand

was there last year had a nice selection of wine, I do not know where they get their wine now, it is not the same

was there last year had a nice selection of wine, I do not know where they get their wine now, it is not the same

Thanks, we will have a ride there and see. Actually we are staying at Pimalai...we got a very good deal from hoteltravel.com and it seems that it is available until the end of October,so we might even book again this year.

Hau Hin Ferry east to find, yes it's a bit like the Woolwich Ferry but without chains. Cost 133Baht for the car and the two of us.