Qantas Staff Parents Discount

antony77

my son, who has worked with QANTAS for 4 years, has just informed me that we can now get big discount (90%) on airfares to visit him in New Zealand. In veiw of my age (80) and leg problems I can only fly business or first. Anyone have any experience of these discounted fares?

I work for the airlines and as with most airlines staff ticketing, and staff ticketing for families is only done through the staff travel ticket office which is called the interline sales office (pass bureau). Your son should know this. As far as a confirmed ticket in business or first class at 90pct off it is unlikely with someone of only 4 years working for the airline. Normally it's economy class with upgrade at airport. Anyway your son should have all the details.

Airline staff discounts are usually on stand by basis so you will often not get on a planned flight. It can be very frustrating.

I used to work for an european airline for 18 years so I have tried not to get on my planned flight many times.

Edited by martin81

I work for the airlines and as with most airlines staff ticketing, and staff ticketing for families is only done through the staff travel ticket office which is called the interline sales office (pass bureau). Your son should know this. As far as a confirmed ticket in business or first class at 90pct off it is unlikely with someone of only 4 years working for the airline. Normally it's economy class with upgrade at airport. Anyway your son should have all the details.

Thanks for taking your time to reply. My son seems always rather vague about these kind of tickets so I hope you don't mind me asking you another question I am 6ft 3" with a real problem with my knees which have to be kept straight because of arthritis. Last time I flew economy to Australia I had to be lifted out of my seat by the staff and put into a wheel chair because my knees were so swollen that I could not walk. I had asked the airline to put me into the emergancy exit rows, but because of my age they refused. So the fact is that if I can not get business class I can not fly. And unfortunately I can't afford the business class fare. I don't mind hanging around in Bangkok for a couple of days even though we would have to stay in a hotel since we live a long way away. This is not a holiday trip I want desperately to see my brother in NZ who is dying of liver cancer.

I'm not sure exactly what your question is this time but if your traveling on a staff ticket you can't ask for any special services. Unfortunately on a staff ticket most of the time you are standby for economy, business and first...but for business and first it depends on the position and seniority of the employee. Example I get 2 confirmed economy tickets a year with space available to business or first and unlimited space available tickets. My parents get 6 standyby space available tickets a year upgradeable to business. Mostly they have been lucky...but it's alwaays nerve wrecking till the last possible moment you know you are getting the flight and then you have to run. Other times they have had to go home and try again the next day or the day after. When you do get upgraded to business or first you feel lucky..but generally you get an economy class seat in the middle row in the back of the airplane, which does not make for a comfortable flight as most of us know.

Again find out your son's employee number and then contact staff travel in Sydney for Qantas as if they have his employee number they can tell you what his entitlement is.

Good luck!