Not Krispe Cream But..

bkkjames

• 7 months later...

Here's the forthcoming KK donut shop on the lower level of Siam Paragon, just nearby the Swenson ice cream shop...

post-53787-060446900 1284810309_thumb.jp

PS - I was at the Emporium the other day, and noticed the Daddy Dough shop on the 5th floor, and took one of the brochures... looked like 22 baht for all their different donut flavors,, and quite a selection of some interesting flavor choices. But everything was sitting out in glass cases in front of their counter, and didn't look particularly fresh...just a lot of seemingly slow-moving inventory... I considered and passed....

I have never liked raised glazed donuts.

I like cake donuts.

But unlike some people on here I can't tell you what to like. Dunkin are my favorite. And nothing you can say is gonna change that.

KK - yuck - never ever

I got to say Mr Donut has come out with a line of fruit filled donuts - at a pretty good price point.

How lucky is it I live mid way between Emporium & Seacon?.

Here's the forthcoming KK donut shop on the lower level of Siam Paragon, just nearby the Swenson ice cream shop...

post-53787-060446900 1284810309_thumb.jp

PS - I was at the Emporium the other day, and noticed the Daddy Dough shop on the 5th floor, and took one of the brochures... looked like 22 baht for all their different donut flavors,, and quite a selection of some interesting flavor choices. But everything was sitting out in glass cases in front of their counter, and didn't look particularly fresh...just a lot of seemingly slow-moving inventory... I considered and passed....

John, despite your first impression their donuts are good -especially in comparison to the Dunkin etc. Plus, when you are feeling particularly lazy, they will deliver (70baht).  :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hmm, well, all this attention to the new Krispy Kreme outlet and some recent traveling has put me in a doughnuts sampling mood, and until lately I probably hadn't eaten a doughnut in 10+ years or more.... so they're hardly a part of my regular diet...

But as I recounted in another thread, I had a small concession in high school re-selling day-old Winchell's doughnuts on my high school campus, and so long ago was quite fond of several varieties, particular the apple (cinnamon) fritter, cinnamon roll, regular and chocolate old fashioneds, and even the chocolate or maple frosted bars.... So that's where my historical sweet spot lies for doughnuts... That said...

--Krispy Kreme: I was never wowed by them back when they were in the U.S., and I'm even less wowed by them here, particularly when, as I passed by Paragon this afternoon on a Wednesday about 4 pm, there continues to be a probably 100+ person line of mostly Thais going out the door of Paragon waiting to buy a dozen-count box or two or four..... These days, when I'm around the Siam Square area, it's not uncommon to see Thai women carrying two dozen-size boxes around in plastic bags.... If the line ever disappears here, perhaps I'll try a couple of the Thai variety... But until then... no thanks, particularly at 30+ baht a pop.

--Daddy Dough: Last night, the wife wanted to have some Swensen's ice cream at Emporium, so while she was having her treat, I hopped on over to the nearby Daddy Dough, based on BKKJames recommendation above, and tried a trio of their offerings, each at 22 baht apiece. Short review, their doughnuts were a mess, literally. This was about 8 pm at night, and it was hardly hot inside or out. But I chose 3 different styles of their doughnuts, one apiece, and when I went to eat them within 5 minutes of my purchase, the icing/topping on each was literally dripping off the doughnuts in almost semi-liquid state. Each one was a sloppy mess, and I can't recall ever eating or finding a doughnut like that before... although...sitting there on the store rack, they looked perfectly fine. The only good thing I can say about them was the underlying doughnut itself was OK....light, not greasy, firm but airy texture... Won't be going back there for seconds.

--Dunkin Doughnuts: Don't think I've ever eaten them in the states, but the wife and I were traveling upcountry recently and we stopped at a Tesco to grab a snack. She wanted coffee, and the most likely place seemed to be the Dunkin counter there, so I grabbed a couple of their doughnuts as a snack in the car while driving... They had quite a selection of mocha/coffee flavor filled ones, I think at 20 or 22 baht apiece, along with some more basic and traditional ones. The couple I tried were pretty decent, good flavor, good texture and consistency, toppings moist and firm, but not crusty or drippy, and sweet but not too excessively so. And the shop seemed to have a pretty wide selection of different styles to choose from. My favorite shop here thus far, although I didn't see them offering any of the U.S. varieties I listed above as my favorites.

--Mister Donut: I haven't tried them as yet, and I'm thinking I won't. They have shops in a couple of the places where I do regular shopping, and every time I'm walking past lately, I stop to look and peruse what's on offer. Basically, everything I see looks pretty cheap and unappetizing, with a lot of plain raised doughnuts covered in gobs of fruit topping and white cream, trying to make them look special when they're not. Maybe they work for the Thai sweet tooth or just because they're cheap(er)... But they don't resemble anything I'd consider a good doughnut.

I know there are some other varieties out there to try... And I'll make a concerted effort to scope them out and comment back here...

Meanwhile, has anyone seen a good old-fashioned apple cinnamon fritter or circular cinnamon roll around these parts??? Now that would be something I could get my teeth into....

Interestingly, in checking, Winchell's shops are still around, and the company bills itself as the largest doughnut franchise operation on the U.S.west coast. It certainly was their doughnuts I grew up with....

Here's a photo sampling of what their doughnuts look like:

post-53787-068029000 1288178681_thumb.jp

Ahhh, glazed old fashion in the bottom corner of the box. Chocolate bar just above it. Rasberry jelly filled to the upper right of the chocolate bar. Maple icing just above the glazed old fashioned. And others..... MMMMMmmmmm.... now those are REAL doughnuts....

And here's a small image of their apple fritters. If there's anything closer to this than a taste of heaven, I don't know what it would be... :):

post-53787-039402100 1288178737_thumb.jp

According to the company's web site, they have more than 170 locations in 12 states, plus international locations in Guam Saipan and Saudi Arabia (how the H did that one come about????).

And as for their apple fritter, a bit of doughnut history:

Fritter History: Winchell's invented the apple fritter in Westminster, Calif. in 1964. There, a prototype of the fritter was made byemployees, who quickly rushed their creation to Winchell's headquarters. After a few modifications, the fritter received Winchell's seal of approval and was sold in stores. Shortly after, it became an American classic and continues to be oneof the chain's best selling products.

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump now that Krispy Kreme have reached out to pretty much every Mall in Town.

After hearing all the fuss I just had to try one, (as any Baker of 20 years experience would)...uuuuurrrrggghhhh. No different/just as bad as the other big chain doughnut vendors we have across town.

However, I have managed to find a good un. Try the doughnuts from one of the 'Yamazaki' Bakeries that are located in various malls around town...now that's what I'm takin' about...they do cinnamon too!!

Their baguettes ain't bad either.

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump now that Krispy Kreme have reached out to pretty much every Mall in Town.

I wouldn't call 3 malls in central Bangkok as every mall in town!

I do think they are better than the other chain stores, at least the standard plain one is.

I wouldn't call 3 malls in central Bangkok as every mall in town!

Didn't know they had three outlets now, I know they are in Paragon, I think I saw them in Ladprao, where is the third?

I quite like them, after all the fuss I thought I would try one, didn't fancy the long queues in Paragon so eventually got one in the UK, Watford to be exact, served by a charming lady from Khon Kaen, not bad not not worth the 65 Baht UK price tag.