Gettin' 'em Crispy

JusMe

I recently bought a deep frier, and want to improve some of the things I cook, such as tempura and french fries.

Tried making fries with cut up potatoes from the fridge - dark and oily and soft. So I learned that potatoes should not be refrigerated.

Went to Tesco and came home with fresh potatoes, which I kept in the cupboard.

Cut up and turned the frier to the highest setting - about 190°C or a bit more - and although they were better, very dark, which I don't mind, but still quite soft.

Tried the same by parboiling the cut up fries (left in the fridge in paper towelling for a day as I had a sudden dinner invite).

These came out a good caramel colour and a little firmer, but still not crispy. That's what I want!

Suggestions?

Potatoes here are the wrong type...too much sugar I think. you could try boiling them and then frying them twice once in hot fat and then once in very very hot fat and do not put too many in the pan.

Probably safer to buy the frozen ones from the supermarket.

I have similar problems getting the local spuds to roast crispy. Always par boil them too, fluff the outsides. Had some success upping the oven temperature for the last 15 minutes. The only suggestion I have (other than grow your own spuds!) is to fry at a lower temp to cook them through without browning them then take 'em out of the oil, turn it up to high until it's really hot then finish them off. BTW, taking them out of the fridge is not a good idea because they immediately cool the oil too much.

Having said that they get good chips in Soi 8 but I have a feeling Dave grows his own spuds. I'm in the US at the moment but I'll ask him the secret of his success next time I'm in there.

Glad to see we're discussing some REALLY important things on TV. Nothing more important than good chips, and that's for certain! Let us know how you get on.

The secret of making fries from fresh potatoes is that you have to fry them twice. The first run you fry the potatoes at 160c for 4 min. Just till they start changing colour. After that you let cool them down for at least 20 minutes. Then fry them again with a temperature above 180c till they have the right colour or till they crispy enough for you.

Of course it is important that you use the right potatoes. I can assure you here in Chiang Mai you can buy the perfect potatoes for the french fries. So you must do some experiment to find out witch is the right potatoe for you.

Good luck!

Edited by travelalone

I'll have to spend some time at the markets checking out the different potatoes available. Seems that Tesco only had the one kind, nice boiled but doesn't make such great chips.

I'll also try that double frying. Thanks for the temperature and timing advice, Travelalone. I had heard of it, but didn't have any details.

At the moment, it seems it's the kind of potatoes that are probably the difficulty. What I get is adequate, but I want more than adequate!

When next marketing, I'll see what I can get, give it another try, and report.

I have had good success making 'French Frieds' by rinsing fresh cut potatoes, coating them with a bit of oil, and then putting them on High in my OTTO convection oven (the kind with the round top) for about 15 minutes... kind of like shoestring potatoes.

Last year watched a Food program on TV, they said the best way is to part boil 1st + part boil with SALT in water, they did 2 lots one with and one without salt in the water, both they fried twice... the ones part boilded in salt water were crispy, the ones part boiled in plain water were soft..

Never tried as never eat chips

Edit: they also did the same with Roast Patatoes, the ones part boiled 1st in salt water were brown and crispy.... Programe was from the UK so possible different type of patatoes anyway

Edited by ignis

The secret of making fries from fresh potatoes is that you have to fry them twice. The first run you fry the potatoes at 160c for 4 min. Just till they start changing colour. After that you let cool them down for at least 20 minutes. Then fry them again with a temperature above 180c till they have the right colour or till they crispy enough for you.

Of course it is important that you use the right potatoes. I can assure you here in Chiang Mai you can buy the perfect potatoes for the french fries. So you must do some experiment to find out witch is the right potatoe for you.

Good luck!

Correct, First on low temperature 150-160c small size 4 min bigger till 6 minutes, this is to pre-cook them end get some of the water out off the potato what will get the crispy during the second time.

Second time 180c if you have sweet potatoes the sugar will caremelised what makes them brown very quick and not crispy in that case deep fried them on 170c and longer, wash them in hand warm water before the first deep fried.(be carrefull make them very dry with a kitchen towel)

Enjoy,

Ever make your own mayonaise, easy to make and very good.

let me know so i can post the reciepe,

Enjoy

Good luck!

did this with commercial fries too - nice and crispy - BUT the moist/humid air/enviroment is an element many do not consider,

very difficult to keep ANYTHING crispy, bread's crust for example. doesn't last long, banquettes, fresh and crispy an hour later...

Enjoy

Needforspeed,

I am very interested in your mayonnaise recipe. I have often tried in Thailand for making mayonnaise, but my biggest problem is that the yolk does not want to bind with the oil. I think it is because the higher temperatures here. I've already used everything from the fridge, night, morning, etc. If you do have a solution for this then I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks

Good luck!

Absolutely right !

Enjoy

Needforspeed,

I am very interested in your mayonnaise recipe. I have often tried in Thailand for making mayonnaise, but my biggest problem is that the yolk does not want to bind with the oil. I think it is because the higher temperatures here. I've already used everything from the fridge, night, morning, etc. If you do have a solution for this then I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks

Mix egg yolks with the vinegar first then very slowly the oil.

What oil do you use? (a good virgin olive,walnut oil,almond oil)this may be the problem for you as mayo is very easy to make and temperature should not be an issue just as long as everything is clean.when Eggs! the fresher the better you can also buy pasturised eggs if you have health concerns,the natural emulsifier in eggs is lecithin,if you still have problems you could buy a commercial emulsifier to add to make it bind together better(xanthan gum or similar)

Acidity? vinegar or lemon/lime i find a good quality flavoured vinegar makes all the difference.

Also how do you make it food processor or by hand? always better by hand very slowly to start with and if it does seperate the trick is put a little warm water in a fresh bowl and bring it back slowly again,never a problem.

Chips is a different story,i wish i lived near Chang mai for those spuds,even double frying these waxys is not what you want in a chip!

Roasties after par-boiling the spuds,drain and let them cool down as long as possible then put in a tray with oil salt and more salt,any herbs if you have ie thmye rosemary! then bash them about as to burst the skins and rough them up with a fork! bang them in the oven and toss them about every 15/20 minutes or so,the waxy spuds will not be as good as the floury ones but they will be ok if done like this. :)

Cut your fries thin, wash them well in cold water, pat them dry in a T- towell, cook at a high temperature - once is enough, but make sure the fat/oil is at the highest temperature as this also seals the chips on entry and stops them absorbing fat/oil.

I agree that the type of potato is important I guess trial and error.

Edit: don't put too many in the hot fat/oil at once - they cool the fat/oil down and the deep fat fryers take a while to bring it back up to the higher temperature required.

Edited by 473geo

Something else to try: I have a distant memory from a conversation with a friend who worked at the Epitome of Crispy Fries (MacDonalds). He said they pre-soaked the fries in a sugar-water mixture before frying. Said it was the sugar that made them so crispy. Never confirmed for myself. If you try it, please report back! :-)

Edited by toptuan

I make homeade potato chips , crisps for you UK folks, and the secret to getting them crispy is to wash them in VERY hot water for several minutes, strain them, cool them down in the fridge , then fry. The hot water takes out some of the starch and allows the potato to fry up brown and cripsy. I am sure it would work for fries/chips as well.

If anyone is still interested

I have had quite a bit of success by soaking the cut chips in a bowl of water with a squeeze of lemon juice in it.

Put the bowl in the freezer for a while. I like it if a skin of ice has formed on the top.

It has worked very well for me when the spuds are less than perfect.

A pinch of chicken stock with the salt gives good flovour as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the double cook method. I cook them the first time at 160 C until they start turning the golden color, drain and spread on top of paper towels. When they are cool, put them back in the fryer at 175-180 C. I have a good deep fryer so I think the thermostat is pretty accurate.

Using US Russet potatoes, I only cooked them once and they were fine. With the Thai potatoes, even using 180 C and cooked until quite dark, they are still limp.

I was told that finishing them off in an oven works well. I don't have an oven so have not tried that method.

One more thing. After you cut your potatoes, rinse them well to get the excess starch off and allow them to dry. I use the deep fryer basket to drain the water and allow them to dry.

• 1 month later...
I use the double cook method. I cook them the first time at 160 C until they start turning the golden color, drain and spread on top of paper towels. When they are cool, put them back in the fryer at 175-180 C. I have a good deep fryer so I think the thermostat is pretty accurate.

Using US Russet potatoes, I only cooked them once and they were fine. With the Thai potatoes, even using 180 C and cooked until quite dark, they are still limp.

I was told that finishing them off in an oven works well. I don't have an oven so have not tried that method.

One more thing. After you cut your potatoes, rinse them well to get the excess starch off and allow them to dry. I use the deep fryer basket to drain the water and allow them to dry.

This poster is right on target. ALL commercial food vendors use russet potatos for french fries. I used to own a bar and food service in the U.S. and if I want to make a bit of a mess, the twice fried method is perfect. 300F for 5-6 minutes, Cool and then finish at 375 F. I have tried everything and cannot duplicate with various thai potatos. Here in LOS, crisco shortening works well.

The only way I get crisp fries and hash browns is to buy the frozen fries.

• 3 weeks later...

After you cut your potatoes, rinse them well to get the excess starch off and allow them to dry.

Make sure they are properly dry. As said above cook them at 160C until they are cooked through. But then I increase the heat to at least 200-220C and chuck 'em in for a couple of minutes. Perfectly crispy. Yum!

use the two tips: double fry the freezed potatoes =)

but for me, I never knew how to fry tempura the right way, although I miss it big time. it has been years since last time I'd eaten tempura.

good luck frying =)

Sometimes the oil you are using will not brown as well also! I use Mazolla or Crisco shortning, both available from Villa, ans they also have Ore-Ida frozen crispers fries and Tater tots

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck!

Add beef fat to your oil and double fry. even works with most local potatoes, just experiment with different types unless you win the lotto then use import. I've used pork fat and it also works.

Edited by VictorMeldrewBKK

This may sound sacrilegious to some and others may feel foolish for not thinking of something so simple. I bake or microwave the whole potatoes then cut them up and fry after they are already cooked. This seems to work very well for crispiness and you skip the hassles of drying, frying twice and draining twice.

It is way too much hassle to do the proper method. I just keep a few cooked potatoes in the fridge most of the time. I want hash browns or fries (or even mashed potatoes) I just take them out and cut, grate or mash as needed.