Arriving At 2am. Best Safe Non-scam Way To Get Into Central Bkk From Airport?

idiot farang

Even 24 hour intl. airports are pretty dead at 2am, and i know about the scams that some taxi drivers pull (or worse). so... what would you all recommend in terms of reasonable, but safe, transport from the airport that late (i arrive at 1.30am, but between baggage and immigration, figure at least 2.30am before i'll be clear to leave).

thanks.

Go to taxi meter stand ... in 11 years of living here never ever ever had a problem with that

Once with my aged mother, the taxi I took from the register (50 baht) stand said the meter was broken, I make him stop, we walk back to the stand, I told the story to the two ladies who was here, he got remove from the line and presume got few problems.

I still not 100% secure with a register taxi late at night, but after 12 years here, my Thai is ok enough for them to see I know the country, and i use my mobile phone calling my friend with his number as we drive away.

Once one taxi i took break down middle of the tool way, was not a good car.

For a new comer perhaps a limousine trip is more a smooth ride!

In my experiences, I have always got my luggage and went to the departing flights car deck and waited for a taxi to unload someone coming in to the airport to catch a plane out. Chances are, you are not paying for the airport taxi to return back to the airport, as this is the point where the airport taxis are working from. And always get a metered taxi and make sure it is turned on. Insist on it if you have to. I have never had a problem with this, but have read where others have. Going to an airport taxi stand, you will most certainly pay for his trip back, one way or the other. Good luck. trex

Go to taxi meter stand ... in 11 years of living here never ever ever had a problem with that

At that time of day there are very few taxis visible, so they have you over a barrel. Take the free shuttle bus to the public bus terminal, behind the main terminal building is a large car park full of taxis, just insist on using the meter.

As a regular user I just use a private hire taxi, which I telephone when I land and it is there by the time I clear immigration and have a smoke. this is unmetered but is a fair fixed price which I negotiated some time back. I can even nod off as he knows where I live :)

AOT Limousine service. You will see their desk as you exit Customs.

I second this. We (wife, son, and myself) use AOT Limo. when we fly from the northeast (where we live) to BKK, just for convenience alone. A little more expensive than your standard meter taxi, but tolls are payed for. If you already have a hotel booked, many will provide a Limo service for you complimentary or for a modest fee.

Edited by mizzi39

In my experiences, I have always got my luggage and went to the departing flights car deck and waited for a taxi to unload someone coming in to the airport to catch a plane out. Chances are, you are not paying for the airport taxi to return back to the airport, as this is the point where the airport taxis are working from. And always get a metered taxi and make sure it is turned on. Insist on it if you have to. I have never had a problem with this, but have read where others have. Going to an airport taxi stand, you will most certainly pay for his trip back, one way or the other. Good luck. trex

I'd have to disagree with that. Maybe it does happen, but I don't think anyone should go into it expecting to have to pay for the return trip. Yes, some drivers TRY to use this as an excuse to get more money, but you just say no, that's not how it works, you'll pay the meter. A driver might tell you that thinking that you don't know any better, but if you say no, they usually back off. I've had it happen the most on the way to the airport - they wanted more money for the trip back into town.

I've actually found that the official metered taxi stand guys (downstairs) are more straightforward and less likely to ask for more money that the guys at arrivals (upstairs). I would estimate that I've used the official taxi meter stand about 25 times over the years (including late at night), and I've never had a driver ask for money for the return trip or refuse to use the meter. I have, however, had 2 out of 3 drivers upstairs (at arrivals) try to rip me off. You would THINK that they would be appreciative to have any fare, since they're not supposed to pick up passengers there anyway and have to slip the security guards a bribe to let them do so.

But, of course, everyone has had different experiences, and there is no "perfect" answer. With the AOT "limos" there may be less hassle, but you'll pay a lot more, and you would probably feel safer late at night. With the metered taxis, there's a possibility of running into a shady driver, but it's normally way cheaper. I guess it depends what your priorities are. In the name of saving money, I for one take the metered taxis and just hope for the best. :)

I use the taxi stand. Went with a Thai friend to the upper deck and we got scammed--first he wanted the 50 baht he would have gotten (or they would have gotten) from the stand. Friend said yes. Then he took the expressway, but had to exit to get gas, so we had to pay for the expressway twice. It wasn't a big scam or anything. The driver was nice, but after a long flight it wasn't very convenient to drag the luggage up there get a taxi--with police trying to write them up, so we jumped in, threw the luggage in the trunk etc.

Not worth the hassle.

They have the license numbers of the taxis etc at the stand.

very very simple

simply go to the departures section

something they have tried to make difficult- i just jump over the silly barrier they have erected to prevent this

its prevents a waste of only a few minutes

then go to where the taxi who are or who have dropped off people hang around

say this " meter"

and i and nobody i have known has yet to have a problem

you may have to stick to your guns, but its not hard, and not for long

good luck

I dunno about you guys, but generally speaking I find Bangkok Taxi drivers to be among the best in the world. There are always some bad people no matter where you go or what you do but most of these guys are honest and hard working. I've only ever had one guy try to run without the meter and I just got out. The first guy asked for for 450 baht to Bangkok so I paid the tolls with the second cab and gave him 370 baht (the meter was 200 or so) and told him it was for being honest. My experience with a taxi at the airport is very good, and I've used them more times than I can remember. Also, at Swampy, unlike Don Muang, you don't have to wait. Taxi is generally safe and always cheap.

Even at the official taxi stand, I've been scammed. Going into Pattaya, you're charged a flat rate that the taxi stand attendant writes on a piece of paper. By the time I arrived, the driver had changed the writing from 1,400 baht to 1,600 baht.

Did you pay it? And did you call to report him?

WOW!

i just signed in hoping that i had 1 or 2 replies and, well, pleasant surprise. Thanks everyone!

what is the price difference between the taxi stand and the AOT limo if heading to the area of Asoke BTS (when considering toll charges, as well)? or, more generally, what % difference?

when last in BKK i did have a taxi driver start to take me for a ride WAY out of the way (i had made the trip before 3x already and asked him where he was going. no english plus me no Thai got nowhere. at the next red light i got out, said this was ok, paid him what was on the meter and flagged another taxi.

thanks again for all the input.

Here is the tariff from one of my link, presume must be similar at the airport.

http://www.orientalescape.com/thailand/transfer/bangkok.html

Taxi around 320 baht with tollway include and 50 baht, some posters will said you do not need tollway at 2 am, off course they are right, living here we can argue when driver said meter not working, when the meter is riddle, when they take back street + let the driver stop somewhere on the way in some little soi, get lost and we do not worry .....I did get problems acr & driver from the official taxi stand !

For new comers if you feel more secure, take a limo

being a regular flier I never use the metered stand when arriving. I go upstairs to departures and use a taxi that has just dropped someone off. No extra 50 Baht and they are happy as they have a fair back into town. I just guess they are more likely to be honest as the fair to the airport may be a one off for them as opposed to being their regular with some form of regular scam.

Reading the OP post

I can see some of you been scammed at the official taxi stand (i did) and some go scammed getting a taxi at the departure / arrival!

Anyone go scammed from an AOT limousine (outside price charge)

what is the price difference between the taxi stand and the AOT limo if heading to the area of Asoke BTS (when considering toll charges, as well)? or, more generally, what % difference?

Well, I don't know for Asoke, but when I lived on the eastern edge of downtown, the meter was usually about 140-180 baht, and the AOT always wanted 500 baht.

Reading the OP post

I can see some of you been scammed at the official taxi stand (i did) and some go scammed getting a taxi at the departure / arrival!

Anyone go scammed from an AOT limousine (outside price charge)

I think that everyone who has used an AOT limo got "scammed" because their prices are so high. :)

Even at the official taxi stand, I've been scammed. Going into Pattaya, you're charged a flat rate that the taxi stand attendant writes on a piece of paper. By the time I arrived, the driver had changed the writing from 1,400 baht to 1,600 baht.

Did you pay it? And did you call to report him?

I wish I had. It was my first trip, so I was a newbie. There's no way I'd let such a scam happen now.

Never had any problems with the metered taxis - price agreed at the booking desk, as we travel to Pattaya - but be aware that most, if not all of the taxis now run off LNG so most of the luggage space is taken up by a large gas tank. If you only have a small bag then no problemo - otherwise you would be better off with an AOT limo.

DM