Where To Enjoy Coffee In The Rai...

villagefarang

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heard about a new cafe/restaurant that opened recently so thought I'd try it out yesterday, wish I hadn't of waited so long! It is called Destiny and is on the small road from the golden clock up to the walking street road, on the left side. Decor is very nice as is the Thai/Western food, coffee and cakes and very reasonable prices. I was told it has been funded by a charity and that the girls employed there have been 'rescued' but not sure how true that is or the details but then again that's not really important unless it affects how much you tip :-)

Definitely worth a visit next time you are in the area, no parking though.

Heard about a new cafe/restaurant that opened recently so thought I'd try it out yesterday, wish I hadn't of waited so long! It is called Destiny and is on the small road from the golden clock up to the walking street road, on the left side. Decor is very nice as is the Thai/Western food, coffee and cakes and very reasonable prices. I was told it has been funded by a charity and that the girls employed there have been 'rescued' but not sure how true that is or the details but then again that's not really important unless it affects how much you tip :-)

Tried it a couple of nights ago. Considering the ambience, the prices are extremly reasonable. I had the chicken pot pie and although it is different than what I am used to in the US it was quite good. Even better was the carrot cake I took home. Hard to find decent carrot cake. Also took a brownie. The wife liked her two Thai dishes as well. Hope the owner/co-owner will forgive me but she is a very nice looking Aussie.
  • Like 1

Tried it a couple of nights ago. Considering the ambience, the prices are extremly reasonable. I had the chicken pot pie and although it is different than what I am used to in the US it was quite good. Even better was the carrot cake I took home. Hard to find decent carrot cake. Also took a brownie. The wife liked her two Thai dishes as well. Hope the owner/co-owner will forgive me but she is a very nice looking Aussie.

Maybe we will give them a try for lunch or coffee, sometime. Where is the best place to park?

Maybe we will give them a try for lunch or coffee, sometime. Where is the best place to park?

I was on the motosai and parked on the sidewalk but I would GUESS up on the clock tower road somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Chivit Thamma Da today for the first time because of VillageFarang's great photos and because I crave good coffee. I must say, the coffee was excellent ! ! ! My thanks to VillageFarang for the heads-up on this great find. The ambiance was a bonus. Naturally, I had to also try the Banoffee pie and it was also a winner. I feel I have to keep going back because there are several more pies that I bet will taste great with really good coffee. I add my recommendation for Chivit Thamma Da for a REAL good cup of coffee (latte, cappuccino . . . ).

• Like 1

Went to Chivit Thamma Da today for the first time because of VillageFarang's great photos and because I crave good coffee. I must say, the coffee was excellent ! ! ! My thanks to VillageFarang for the heads-up on this great find. The ambiance was a bonus. Naturally, I had to also try the Banoffee pie and it was also a winner. I feel I have to keep going back because there are several more pies that I bet will taste great with really good coffee. I add my recommendation for Chivit Thamma Da for a REAL good cup of coffee (latte, cappuccino . . . ).

Thank you and I am glad you enjoyed the coffee and ambiance at Chivit Thamma Da.wai2.gif

• 6 months later...

Coming home this weekend I realised I had forgotten to replenish my supplies.

I remembered a nameless place on the way to the Khun Korn waterfall and decided to try it.

150B for 250gms, I find it excellent but the girl ground it a bit too fine for my little percolator.

Easy to find, turn right to the falls coming from town on the old Chiang Mai road, it's probably less than a kilometre on the right just before a ramshackle convenience store.

Coming home this weekend I realised I had forgotten to replenish my supplies.

I remembered a nameless place on the way to the Khun Korn waterfall and decided to try it.

150B for 250gms, I find it excellent but the girl ground it a bit too fine for my little percolator.

Easy to find, turn right to the falls coming from town on the old Chiang Mai road, it's probably less than a kilometre on the right just before a ramshackle convenience store.

Please....please spend a couple of thousand baht on a grinder. It really does make a difference.

I'm working up to it Harry, it's the next purchase.

I think there's an attachment on the mixer in the back of the cupboard come to think of it.

Probably a blade grinder...they make the stuff too many sizes.

Krup KRUPS GVX2 Coffee Grinder
3,400.00 Baht
is the one I have but you can get them a bit cheaper. Or showve one in your bag when you come back

I'm baaaackkkk harrry, actually checked in my main bag at 29.9kg.

Slight rolling of eyes by Emirates staff.

Not sure they would have approved another couple of kilo grinder.

Fishing jacket and pants with very very large pockets when you fly is the only way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1292933/How-help-17-pocket-jacket-I-beat-Ryanair-game.html

For me, if it is just about the coffee, then I am quite happy with what I make at home, each morning. If I am having a cup somewhere else then the atmosphere and comfort is at least as important as the coffee itself. I suppose that is why I am more likely to end up at Starbucks or Chivit Thamma Da.smile.png

I can certainly vouch for the atmosphere and comfort at Starbucks, also the company.thumbsup.gif

Well you can bowl in there anytime. If you warn us we can even stock up on your favourite blend of Nescafe

here andyou will not have to drink our MaiSuai esspresso when you visit us.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

But I'm not going to share the name or location!

By not giving more information I was hoping someone would ask a question and give me a chance to expand upon my original post. Trying to start a dialog isn’t always easy in these parts. So thank you for stepping forward, even if your intent was not particularly clear.wink.png

The name is Manorom Coffee Shop and it is on the river a few sois down from Chivit Thamma Da and just before The Imperial River House Resort. There are small signs and a new concrete road leading to the parking area. It is easy to find.smile.png

It has only been open a week, maybe, so they are not quite ready for primetime yet but it is still worth a visit. The coffee was good and my wife was happy with her food. Our dog got lots of attention and they brought her ice water to help quench her thirst.biggrin.png

Today my wife took me to a new place to have coffee in Chiang Rai. Beautiful riverside location with lovely gardens and outdoor seating.

CoffeeShop++001.jpg

CoffeeShop++002.jpg

CoffeeShop++004.jpg

CoffeeShop++003.jpg

CoffeeShop++005.jpg

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/338124-where-to-enjoy-coffee-in-the-rai/?p=5061734

A gik last time?

Sorry to disappoint you Harrry, but this is a new place.tongue.png biggrin.png

By not giving more information I was hoping someone would ask a question and give me a chance to expand upon my original post. Trying to start a dialog isn’t always easy in these parts. So thank you for stepping forward, even if your intent was not particularly clear.wink.png

The name is Manorom Coffee Shop and it is on the river a few sois down from Chivit Thamma Da and just before The Imperial River House Resort. There are small signs and a new concrete road leading to the parking area. It is easy to find.smile.png

It has only been open a week, maybe, so they are not quite ready for primetime yet but it is still worth a visit. The coffee was good and my wife was happy with her food. Our dog got lots of attention and they brought her ice water to help quench her thirst.biggrin.png

Looks nice. The river will be wall to wall with white colonial coffee shops soon. Hope they did not charge for the water. What was the coffee like?

Looks nice. The river will be wall to wall with white colonial coffee shops soon. Hope they did not charge for the water. What was the coffee like?

It tasted something like coffee.biggrin.png

Cookie was being a pain and wanted to explore the grounds, leaving me unable to give adequate attention to their coffee, so I'm not willing to make an assessment other than it was good at this time. The clientele was quite trendy, as I did notice that much.smile.png

Edited by villagefarang

Cookie was being a pain and wanted to explore the grounds, leaving me unable to give adequate attention to their coffee, so I'm not willing to make an assessment other than it was good at this time. The clientele was quite trendy, as I did notice that much.smile.png

Cookie probably just wanted to go for a swim in all that loverly water.

Cookie probably just wanted to go for a swim in all that loverly water.

If I had let her off her leash, she would have been in the river in a flash. I could see the wheels turning in her devious little mind. You still remember that shower she gave you, I see.biggrin.png

Today my wife took me to a new place to have coffee in Chiang Rai. Beautiful riverside location with lovely gardens and outdoor seating.

CoffeeShop++001.jpg

CoffeeShop++002.jpg

CoffeeShop++004.jpg

CoffeeShop++003.jpg

CoffeeShop++005.jpg

That place looks awesome! I am a huge fan of hot coffee and am often riding with my little dog in a backpack .. she would love that place!

• Like 1