The Box Is Down

JusMe

Seems to have happened sometime overnight. Bit slow yesterday, but as of this morning, nothing.

You can connect to browse the shows, participate in the forums, and even download the torrent file.

But once you try to use that torrent file, there's no connection. "Announce failed: tracker did not respond."

I got word on a forum that it's some difficulty in North America, and our tracker connections probably go through there.

Nothing anyone at The Box can do, so it's just a matter of waiting it out, from what I was told.

It went for me at about 6pm last night, can access the site but all torrents report "Connection closed by peer". TheBox forum has lots of people complaining and the moderators are saying that it's not their problem. Other trackers are working normally for me.

From their front page:-

Tracker Connection Problems - 11th February 2010

At the moment a lot of people are experiencing tracker problems. It looks like there is a stoppage in between the tracker and peoples pc's , so there is not a lot the site can do about it . All we can suggest is that you wait it out

Not sure if I'm still running (download PC is in the office), will check when I get in.

It's a brave new world where we don't need trackers anymore. All clients now support distributed tracking, and tracking basically happens in the cloud, with not a single server responsible.

So trackers may shut down or not work, but your downloads will be fine. The only difference is that ramp up speed is a bit slower.

Edit: So what do you need? You need the torrent file, and you need to be able to connect to the cloud. The latter is done automatically for you by your torrent client. The client basically has a list of known access points, one of them will route your request to others, and that will eventually allow you to find others sharing the same file. The lists are decentralized and dynamic so pretty much impossible to stop distributed tracking.

Edited by nikster

It's a brave new world where we don't need trackers anymore. All clients now support distributed tracking, and tracking basically happens in the cloud, with not a single server responsible.

And, unfortunately, distributed tracking is specifically forbidden by the rules of TheBox as it screws their ratio system.

As one of the few sources of UK programming we have to stick to their rules.

There is evidently something wrong between Thailand and TheBox, it's working fine from India using Vuze 4.1.0.2

EDIT It's also seeding away from my server in Thailand, save version of Vuze on a KSC Commercial connection.

Are all those with problems using uTorrent???

Seems to have been corrected this morning, sometime between 9 and 9:30

One torrent I'd downloaded but wouldn't connect, just started up, and the Announce - Tracker connection worked.

There is evidently something wrong between Thailand and TheBox, it's working fine from India using Vuze 4.1.0.2

I think that maybe, as we were told the problem was in North America, and I'd got an answer from someone at TheBox that it's most likely our traffic goes through North America, we were affected by it. More than likely Indian traffic goes through the middle east?

Here's hoping the problem's been resolved. I checked out UK Nova, and couldn't find most of the stuff I've been getting from The Box. (although Demonoid did have some, surprisingly)

Seems to have been corrected this morning, sometime between 9 and 9:30

One torrent I'd downloaded but wouldn't connect, just started up, and the Announce - Tracker connection worked.

I think that maybe, as we were told the problem was in North America, and I'd got an answer from someone at TheBox that it's most likely our traffic goes through North America, we were affected by it. More than likely Indian traffic goes through the middle east?

Here's hoping the problem's been resolved. I checked out UK Nova, and couldn't find most of the stuff I've been getting from The Box. (although Demonoid did have some, surprisingly)

Still not working for me :)

totster :D

Taken from The Box.

Update on Tracker Issue @ 2010-02-13 08:11:49 GMT (< 1 min ago)

After doing some checking, this is *NOT* a problem with our tracker. All trackers are still online and fully functional. It appears to be a problem with one of the ISPs that peer with our datacenter. People that traverse this peer to connect to our site will have problems. Others will not. We are looking into the problem, but until then, there is nothing staff nor members can do.

We understand your concern, but flooding the staff with messages isn't going to do you any good, and just raise the blood pressure of staff even more.

After doing some checking, this is *NOT* a problem with our tracker. All trackers are still online and fully functional. It appears to be a problem with one of the ISPs that peer with our datacenter

I don't really know how these things work, but again would like to know if those having problems are with true?

RLM

TOT in Ban Phe, using Transmission 1.7.6

Haven't tried any new torrents, but once it connected this morning on a big one I wanted, it's been keeping on. Got 91% of the file now (2.24 gb) with Transmission showing under an hour for the rest.