Moo Gata Recommendations

Konini

yes it is good fun for a first time and maybe for a second but for this jaded old Chiang Mai veteran it's all a bit of a pain in the arse, I'd rather have someone cook for me :)

My favourite which I don't know the name of but someone else might be able to help out is the cavernous place full of CMU students half way up Sirimankalajarn Rd.

There is a cheap and adequate place at Sriphum corner on the moat I think it's 109 baht a head and has a fair selection.

Agree with U.G.!

I think the best one (and I'm sure others will as well) is the huge one next to the Hillside Condo on Thanon Huay Kaew. I have no idea what the name is. Most Thais favor that one as well. There you can barbeque your own huge shrimp and eat as much as you want. The others such as Sum Sabai on Nimman. are O.K. also but you can't barbeque there.

The one by Hillside is the best full on experience and an explanation as to why the Thais as a nation are getting fatter (me too, unfortunately)! About 400 tables and full to bursting at the weekends. They also have the best selection of food (particularly cooked stuff like kebabs, lemon chicken and satay) but steer away from the pizza unless you like the sweet variey made with ketchup rather than tomato paste. Also on no account sit anywhere near the stage - you'll see why....

A staggeringly good deal for 139 baht and stagger is about all you're capeable of after a meal there. Addictive, but we've broken the habit now and cut right back to three or four times a week.

Edited by Greenside

yes it is good fun for a first time and maybe for a second but for this jaded old Chiang Mai veteran it's all a bit of a pain in the arse, I'd rather have someone cook for me :)

My favourite which I don't know the name of but someone else might be able to help out is the cavernous place full of CMU students half way up Sirimankalajarn Rd.

There is a cheap and adequate place at Sriphum corner on the moat I think it's 109 baht a head and has a fair selection.

Sum Sabai?

Have to agree, the one next to Hillside condo's has the best selection, especially love the shrimps...eat as many as you like....the place is huge and always busy.

Remember not to waste any food, they charge you by it's weight if you waste a lot....no need to waste anyway, as you can go up as many times as you like.

Don't even think about beers afterwards...you will hardly be able to walk!!

Choom Paa is the only one my wife and I go to (willingly) Now it's been a year, but they always had the best quality IMO. Their selection is not as nice as the one behind hillside, but the meat quality is a hel_l of a lot better.

On the corner of the moat b/t Chang Puak and Tapae

Thanks everybody - sounds like I might gain the odd kg or two trying these out, the good thing being that we are at Chiang Mai Gate so a nice long walk home should help to counter that. I can see the point anonymouse is making; the novelty would probably wear off very quickly, but I'm going to have some fun until it does :) .