Computers and thais

wilson steer

My (Thai) girlfriend wants to write letters in Thai characters on my PC. I know it is easy to buy a Thai keyboard, but what next....plug it in and go to Microsoft Word...then...? Any Computer wizards out there please help. I've got a top of the range PC with Windows XP. Thanks in advance.......

hi'

under Windows XP, be sure you have Thai fonts installed.

then go to control panel, open regional option & language,

languages/ details.

add, Thai language as second language, this will add the language bar down in the taskbar, from where you may change languages, or use a shortcut to enable Thai & English as you wish, for word, and any word processor, you need Thai fonts.

you can find quite some easily on the net. (nectec.or.th) ... and more, just lauch a search, you will surely be satisfied  :o

don't add any fancy options to the languageBar ... no speech, and handwriting, only languages.

test this nad if problem, just say :D

if I can help, it's with pleasure  :cool:

well, normaly, when you setup Xp for a multilanguage after the initial install,  windows should ask you the XP cdrom, to install the fonts and dll(s) needed for this to work.

{means install Xp .. run it, and then add new languages}

but anyway, you can install as many fonts as you want, some look really nice, might be that the best is that you make the choice with your wife, she could choose the one she likes, she is the one that is going to use Thai .. chai mai cap?  :o

suggestions ; swanstika (art), and for sure dbthai-txt (basic)

just go ahead, no danger, it's only an add-on  :D

have a good time  :cool:

clear and easy ...

nice url  :o

but well, here are the steps described there ;

If you use Arabic, Armenian, Georgian, Hebrew, the Indic Languages, Thai or Vietnamese, put a check next to "Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai)"

If you are using Chinese, Japanese or Korean, put a check next to "Install files for East Asian languages"

When you click Apply, you may be prompted for a Windows XP CD.  After copying files to the hard drive, the computer will reboot.

After the reboot, go back to Control Panels -> Regional and Language Options, select the Languages tab and click on the Details button.

Click on the Add button to add languages and keyboards that you want to use

Once you add a language, you can select that language by clicking on the blue and white two-letter icon in the system tray menu bar located in the lower right corner of the screen.

If you want a non-English language to render correctly in message subject lines, select the Advanced tab.  Select the language under "Language for non-Unicode programs."  Put a check next to the language under "Code page conversion tables."  Put a check next to "Apply all settings to the current user account and to the default user profile."

When you click Apply the computer will reboot.

and for outlook mail in Thai ;
Launch Outlook 2002.

Go to Tools -> Options and click on the Mail Format tab.

Click on the International Options button and select the character encoding set for outgoing messages.

Note:  There are Language Packs and Input Method Editors (IME) for Office XP available for download from the Microsoft Office website.  These tools are not required but they do add useful functionality for certain languages.

Note:  You can change the character encoding set for a particular incoming message by going to View -> Encoding from within the message window.

on the site you also have some screenshots to show you how to setup japanese ...  ???

well, after all this ... does it work?

tell us  :D

note: I paste the content of the page, for you, just not to obliged to go out and spend time to follow instructions  B)

the link remain useful anyway, but you can print this and do this fast ... up to you

all posts have same goal, "help"  :cool: