Did You Get Fat Or Lose Weight?

ZRilla

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Stayed the same, eating thai food all day certainly cleaned the insides out, and trips to the loo increased ten fold, but alas the excess Chang every evening counter acted my newly found diet

2 months and exactly the same, but I'm guessing a year or 2 there and not so much beer would shed a few inches

When I left California, I weighed 203 pounds. I weighed myself today and I am now 178 pounds. I still drink beer about three times a week. I live out in the boonies and rarely eat farang food.

I spent nearly 4 years there. When I first arrived I was just eating street food. I can remember eating a lot of grilled chicken with some rice. I lost around 10 kgs. When I went home, people thought I was ill. I then started to try and eat more and at least a couple of western meals every week. Five years later, and I have still less bulk than before I arrived in Thailand. I want my original size back. :o

In LOS I find my weight stays the same.

I think farang food is fattening.

A few years ago I did a gig in England

and put on 12kg in 2 months which

might not sound a lot to some of you

guys but when you started at 60kg it is.

Canteen lunches and pub-grub dinners.

One of the first things you notice about

the ladies here (because you're not

looking at the guys) is that there isn't

a pick on them and they eat ALL THE

TIME.

I occasionally see Thai youngsters who

are obese but I suspect Macdo//KFC etc.

Edited by farangsay

Stayed in LOS and SEA for 10 months and lost 15 pounds(just over a stone).Not the fact that the food is unfattening but the fact that i just dont like it! The longest i ever went just eating thai food was for about 4-5 days and i felt really shit.I had to have an emergency visit to mcdonalds.If there weren't so many italian places in los.I probably would have come back even lighter! :o

Been back in UK for 4 months now and ive put back on about 30 pounds,after a lot of hard work at the gym and eating 5-6 shit tasting 'clean' meals daily.

Going back to LOS in 2 months and i gotta work out a way of holding onto that weight! and beer doesnt count!

About the same, but my cholesterol level goes way up!

Anybody has this problem?

I avoid the deep fried food stuff so I suspect it's because almost everything here is cooked in a wok with a good half-cup of oil. I don't even eat curry more than twice a week.

Yeah, I guess I should start cooking healthy for myself more... but gee Thai restaurant food is soooo good.

About the same, but my cholesterol level goes way up!

Anybody has this problem?

I avoid the deep fried food stuff so I suspect it's because almost everything here is cooked in a wok with a good half-cup of oil. I don't even eat curry more than twice a week.

Yeah, I guess I should start cooking healthy for myself more... but gee Thai restaurant food is soooo good.

Hmmm ... vegetable oil doesn't contain cholesterol, neither does coconut milk. I suspect factors other than Thai food. I eat Thai cuisine almost exclusively and have a cholesterol level of around 102.

When I moved out here I was 120+KG. On a 188 centimeter height (6'2") it was still 'chunky' (read; I was fat). I am now at about 88KG. My cholosterol is low for my age group, my blood pressure got back into line once I was here, no acid reflux, and no meds for any of those problems in over a year.

In the two years I lived here I've eaten 'farang' food maybe three times, I avoid it like the plague. I eat Thai food off the street, in road side shops every single day. Everything from hot soy milk, fresh fruit, fried noodles, meats, bugs included, anything except shellfish.

The many Thai families I know seem to eat constantly, yet they are not overweight by any stretch of the term. Most of the fat people I see are farang tourists; First Worlders vacationing here.

I have noticed the younger generation of Bangkokian Thai's tending towards being chunkier but believe it is the easy access to fast food and them being lazy big city dwellers.

In the villages I frequent there are next to no over weight people. I travel quite a bit (Chiang Mai to Hat Yai, Kanchanaburi to Chantaburi), and all places in between. I just don't see that many fat Thais. Then again I don't see many Hi-So Thai's either, just everyday folk eeking out a living.

I have read rants on the forum about how the Thai's cook food, how much oil they use, how much this or that and how bad it is. I believe genetics plays a HUGE role in how a person metabolizes food, stores fat, etc.

I will continue to eat only Thai food, and see if this 3rd year here is any different. .. ...

Can diet drinks still affect your weight?

Diet drinks are a farce - they are only called diet because they have less of a fattening effect as there nondiet counterparts.

I gain weight when forced to return home.

Easier for me to eat healthy food here , just trying to avoid all the frying going on can be hard.\

Drink Water !!!!

It seems like more people lost weight in Thailand than gained weight.

A lot of people stated that eating farang food was what made them fat in the first instance.

And they believed that eating Thai food made them thinner and it was healthier.

I am not sure what people mean when they say farang food as this could cover many things.

I believe you can eat much healthier food in Australia than you can in Thailand. It is a matter of what you choose to eat in Australia which causes you to put on weight. If you go the fast food route or the very heavy meat diet then of course you will put on weight but if you choose the healthy options that are available then you really shouldn't be overweight.

I don't think Thai food in many cases is very healthy. High sugar, high sodium and a lot of the wrong type of cooking oil is not a recipe for good health even if you might be thinner because you are eating less food. Also most Thais eat white rice which has very little nutrional value.

On balance i think you can eat a much healthier diet in a place like Australia than you can in Thailand it is just that most people make the wrong food choices.

A lot of people stated that eating farang food was what made them fat in the first instance.

I am not sure what people mean when they say farang food as this could cover many things.

I believe you can eat much healthier food in Australia than you can in Thailand. It is a matter of what you choose to eat in Australia which causes you to put on weight. If you go the fast food route or the very heavy meat diet then of course you will put on weight but if you choose the healthy options that are available then you really shouldn't be overweight.

I don't think Thai food in many cases is very healthy. High sugar, high sodium and a lot of the wrong type of cooking oil is not a recipe for good health even if you might be thinner because you are eating less food. Also most Thais eat white rice which has very little nutrional value.

On balance i think you can eat a much healthier diet in a place like Australia than you can in Thailand it is just that most people make the wrong food choices.

I would agree on that... It's hard to find Thai food that's neither deep fried (or fried using bad/re-used oil) nor salty (usually with MSG :o ) As for the OP's question, I would say that if I just eat Thai food (outside) I gain abit of weight. So I try to balance it with some other healthier food like sashimi/sushi, more salads and homemade meals. I like Thai food and hope that I can cook it at home (to control all the unhealthy stuff in it) but I know it wouldn't taste the same.

I do know that I can't just eat Thai food everyday especially since I just usually eat out cause its totally unhealthy.

• 2 weeks later...

I came from chicago, and my mom said I lost weight after a year in the LOS, I also think I lost a few pounds, Maby cause in Thailand and Asia you do more WALKING around then back in the USA where everyone has a car and puts on more weight.

You mean eating carrot sticks?

I think you can make a healthier in both diets, like you said depend what you eat

• 11 years later...

How come there are so many long-term expats in Thailand who are seriously overweight? I don't get it. Everything about the environment in Thailand is geared towards making you stick-thin.

1. Chili peppers that make food pass through your stomach quickly

2. Veggies, veggies, veggies everywhere

3. Super hot weather quelling appetite

4.Tiny portions everywhere

5. Having to walk around everywhere, especially in Bangkok

What's your secret to weight gain in hot, humid Thailand where tiny portions are the norm? Even when I try to gorge like a pig, which makes some Thais kind of surprised, I just can't gain weight and am always thin as a stick.

Some of my friends here (younger farang crowd) also tell me they have trouble gaining weight here.

It's really hard for me to gain weight. I'm a wiry fellow at 65 kg and 185 cm. Was 70 kg back in my home country before, then lost weight here.

i think i've lost about 10 pounds so far in 1 month living here.  america is great if you loooove hamburgers and fries and pizza.  there's a hamburger place or fast food joint on every streetcorner there.  it's a very unheathy cuisine.  since i now live in a rural isaan village with no 7/11 nearby, i am losing weight at warp speed.  nothing but sticky rice, soups, and poor quality cuts of meat now.  i'm starving for a subway sandwhich or an indian curry.?