Chris Rock

H2oDunc

I would much prefer to deal with the Thai police than the arrogant petty and just plain stupid police we have at home. The Thai Police seem to be the best of both Worlds; they're honest enough that they will not stop you for an offense you did not commit, but dishonest enough that you can pay a reasonable "fine" on the spot and be on your way. They're also much more polite than the police in America. I've been here 5 years and come to have a lot of respect for the Thai Police in general.

I would much prefer to deal with the Thai police than the arrogant petty and just plain stupid police we have at home. The Thai Police seem to be the best of both Worlds; they're honest enough that they will not stop you for an offense you did not commit, but dishonest enough that you can pay a reasonable "fine" on the spot and be on your way. They're also much more polite than the police in America. I've been here 5 years and come to have a lot of respect for the Thai Police in general.

Is this the joke of the day????

But there is one truth on what you said: it's more fun to deal with police in Thailand than in Western Countries.

You can get the Thai police in situations in which they do not know what to do anymore, and it's priceless...

1] On the way back from Koh Chang, police officer stops me and tells me I am driving too fast [not true] and he asks for the usual 100 baht. Instead of paying the 100 baht, I insist to have the ticket and pay the full amount. The officer cannot believe what I am saying, he gives me a puzzled look and then let me go.

2] Driving motorcycle in Bangkok, police officer stops me and asks for the driving license. I give it to him, he flips it and then goes" why it is not written in Thai?". It's a driving license from Europe, you moron!

3] On the way back from Buriram, police patrol stops me and tells me I am driving too fast [not true] and it goes with the usual 100 baht. I go "how can you tell, I was driving only 70 km/h! You have no camera/or laser or anything to sustain your claim" Police officer looks at me in shock and then he lets me go, feeling even guilty for not being able to reply...

And so on...

Sure you cannot do this with Western police!

reminds me of the time when an afro friend of mine was out front of a liquor store in Oakland, CA engaged in a heated argument with a mutual acquaintance of non-negro ethnic persuasion...a carload of local brothers pulled up and queried 'yew need sum help, bro?' and my friend bein' drunk screamed YEAH, LET'S KICK HIS ASS! the mutual acquaintance barely escaped with his life...I wasn't present but the story was corroborated by others that were...

later, I said 'Ken, that wasn't a good move...you shoulda just paid Cisco the money you owed him...'

Ken was chastened (he was normally a sweet natured guy and realised that he had 'lost it' big time) and mumbled 'didn't have none an' his ass was disrespectin' me...'

I found the whole thing to be hilarious if a bit tempered by the possibly lethal alternate outcome...