Garden Cliff Resort And Spa Pattaya Racist Policies

smeeuk

Problems at Garden Cliff Resort and Spa

i would like to alert everyone traveling with a asian wife/girlfriend about the policy this hotel operates i stayed here for one night on my way to koh samet to meet up with some friends that had flown in the hotel itself is a nice hotel but the policy that it operates towards asian women is totally unacceptable i have a thai girlfriend that i have travelled all over asia with and never had this sort of treatment .

We went out to meet up with some friends for a meal and a few drinks when we came back to the hotel the night manger said to us i need a 1000bht and your girlfriends id card i said to the manager what do you want that for

she then spoke to my girlfriend in thai saying that she was one of the girls from one of the "bars" in the centre of pattaya and she had to pay extra with this the security walked out to block our path

I told them i wasnt paying anything and going to bed and walked past them

I the morning i asked to speak to the manager (who i was told was first busy then not in that day ? ) So i ended up speaking to the deputy manager who informed me that this was a policy that the hotel operates with "all" guests not just thai/asian

I travel alot and i have never had this sort of service in any hotel anywhere i have travelled with my girlfriend to Bali,Hong Kong,Borneo and all over malaysia and never had any comments or problems

But i find the all asian women must be prostitutes and we want some extra money attitude from this hotel deeply offensive and would warn anyone traveling with a asian wife/girlfriend to avoid this hotel or anyone else who has issues with a hotel that operates this sort of racist policies

If your GF was registered with you on check-in this should not have happened - but it is policy of many hotels to have security check guests and to hold there ID cards as security for the paying guests (yourself included) in the hotel.

To the OP, it really doesnt matter what hotel you stay at they ask for everyone's ID.

When my Mrs (will the lil one in tow) shows up with me at any hotel her ID is required - as are all guests, regardless of nationality.

Did you check in with your Thai GF at the same time you did? Surely she must have provided some ID at that time?

If so, then you have a beef with the management about returning late at night with friend in tow but believe it or not all hotels roll out this policy to ensure guests don't get drugged, robbed etc by someone of questionable character.

To the OP, it really doesnt matter what hotel you stay at they ask for everyone's ID.

I find that very surprising. I've travelled around Thailand for many years with the Thai girlfriend/wife, and never once have I been asked for ID for BOTH of us. We have only ever used my passport or driving licence or her ID/passport/licence.

You've missed the point guys - they were asking for an additional rate for the room for his guest...........thus implying he had picked her up, and the room was not booked originally for two people.......not very smart on the part of the manager!!!........ok good security for bar girls visiting, and usual practice for Hotels, but not smart on this occasion.

I simply let my wife book us in at hotels, then she is the paying guest and I am her bit of rough.....no problem. :)

They do ask for my Id though....... :D .......but only at the initial check in...... :D

Edited by 473geo

You've missed the point guys - they were asking for an additional rate for the room for his guest...........thus implying he had picked her up, and the room was not booked originally for two people.......not very smart on the part of the manager!!!........ok good security for bar girls visiting, and usual practice for Hotels, but not smart on this occasion.

I simply let my wife book us in at hotels, then she is the paying guest and I am her of rough.....no problem. :)

They do ask for my Id though....... :D .......but only at the initial check in...... :D

I agree but that's why I asked if his GF presented ID at time of Checkin because when you come back and ask for you key they have quick glance at the register to see how many people have registered at check in.

The 1000 baht for the photocopy is a polite way of saying Joiners Fee.

Did you check in with your GF?

This doesn't seem racist or out of the ordinary to me. Next time, be sure to check your BG/GF/Wife in at the front desk and they won't ask you for her ID card and $$$ for another person staying in the room. Common policy in many if nit most hotels in Thailand.

I simply let my wife book us in at hotels, then she is the paying guest and I am her of rough.....no problem. :D

I agree but that's why I asked if his GF presented ID at time of Checkin because when you come back and ask for you key they have quick glance at the register to see how many people have registered at check in.

Ahhh... the joy of being Thai ! :)

I simply let my wife book us in at hotels, then she is the paying guest and I am her of rough.....no problem. :D

Ahhh... the joy of being Thai ! :)

in Pattaya.

If you have ever watched Little Britain, I imagine the local BG's are the domestic equivalent of Vicky Pollard, and as such a local hotel doorman can spot them a mile off and no amount of denial will change things.

Yeah but, no but, oh my god I can't believe you just called me a bar girl...

What happened in this hotel is a mixup which is not at all unusual. Many of upmarket hoterls in tourist spots charge a "joiner fee" when a guest takes a bar hostess back to the room. If the hotel is not well organized, the guy manning the reception at night doesn't know somebody checked in with his Asian wife/girlfriend, and he will demand a joiner fee when the couple comes back to the hotel.

It happened to me once at a hotel in Phuket. I was slightly amused, but no doubt in many cases the farang and his Asian wife/girlfriend will feel grossly insulted.

Stupid, all they have to do is to make a small marker in the guestbook indicating the guy checked in together with an Asian lady.

This happened to me a few years back when I first moved to bangkok. I admit that I was furious and really had a go at the poor manager the next morning. But after living here a while and reading some horrific stories of people getting drugged and robbed by 'guests' who they have brought to their rooms, I now totally support it.

Take a moment to look at the other side of the coin. It may not apply to you, but to any single guys out there: There may come a day when that photo-copied ID will be the very thing which can lead police to someone who may have robbed you in your room.

Happens all over Thailand.

Always make sure your girlfriend is registered and tell them to check the register before asking for ID etc.

You will always get the dumb arse guard nite manager who cannot use the computer who will always think that a good looking asian girl is a pro, in his dreams.

He rather realises, that he was wrong.

Again: If a reservation was done under both names and/or both were registered at the check in, nobody would have asked for the "joiner's fee". This fee is usual at uncountable hotels at least all over Thailand since decades.

If op disagrees with this hotel policy, he could have investigated pre check in and choose another hotel.

Eighteen years ago I booked a 28 nights stay at the Royal Cliff in a suite overlooking the ocean.

One night I decided I needed a bit of company and took a female back only to be told by the security guy that my room was booked out as single occupancy and if I wanted to spend the night with the lady I could book a standard room at a rate of 1600 baht per night.

There was no mention of any joiner fee as my room was off limits.

That’s was 18 years ago!!

After that embarrassing incident I spent most of my ‘leisure time’ in a joint off walking street at 300 baht a night which came with free condoms.

You think that sounds bad. I once took my Thai brother in law (a builder), back to my hotel room to discuss some building plans, and the hotel insisted that he leave his ID at reception and 'did I need any condoms?' !

Simon

You think that sounds bad. I once took my Thai brother in law (a builder), back to my hotel room to discuss some building plans, and the hotel insisted that he leave his ID at reception and 'did I need any condoms?' !

Stayed at an upcountry large hotel a few years ago and when we checked in there was a complimentary packet of two condoms on a small tray placed on the bed. I thought that was rather considerate, actually...until I noted that the expiration date was three years previous.

I had a similar thing happen as the OP at a hotel here in Bangkok. My Thai friend was out of town at a conference when I arrived from overseas, but I checked us both in on the register, not to mention having the email confirmation for two specific people by name. Then upon his arrival they started the ID card/joiners fee routine. I was cool, walked upstairs and got the email and asked them to check the form I completed at registration that had two specific names. "Oh, our mistake!" "That's fine that you've admitted your mistake. But now I insist on an apology for your mistake." The manager complied and a small fruit basket followed.

Edited by phetaroi

My wife usually does our hotel-bookings, as she gets a better price, than I might. But I've always made sure to get her name & signature on the check-in form, so that she can sign for room-service or meals, as a matter of course.

This has been shown to be necessary in Hat-Yai & Krabi, so is certainly not exclusive to one particular hotel, in Pattaya. :)

I'm a Thai lady who lives in the US.

Every annual trip back home to BKK. Either members of family or a Thai friend would pick me up from the airport and drop me off at one of the hotel where I already reserve a room in advance.

My family or friends never let me take a taxi alone especially at night....never...never...it's too dangerous ( that's what they told me).

I usually pick the hotel after reading the reviews about how strickly they allow the guests walking in and out of their hotel.

In this case 'Garden Cliff Resort & Spa' got my vote instantly.

If I happen to be in Pattaya, GCR&S is my place to be for sure.