Types Of Interview.

Greetings all. After returning from the British Embassy for the second time, it was pointed out to me, when I asked how long I would have to wait for an interview that is, that there are two types. The first can be arranged for (presumably straightforward cases) within a few weeks. The other type of interview is for (again going on the way it was said) less straightforward cases and would not occur before August. I was told that not until the application has been viewed will I know what type of interview I will be getting. Can anyone help here? My partner has worked in Central Chitlom for years and has an easily checkable work history. She has not had a passport until recently and neither of us have children or previous marriages. I can't see any problems.

Also could someone clear up what they mean by sufficient funds? I have enough money to pay for the visa process and fly us both out to England but that would take up most of what I have in Thailand at the present. Again from speaking to the officer at the Embassy, they simply stated that I need to show I would not rely on public funds in the UK. I asked whether it would be enough to show proof of family accommodation and perhaps a letter from a family member stating that if the worst came to the worst and I was unable to support myself then, I would be supported by family and not state beneftis. They said yes but not convincingly. Can anyone advise? Would be very grateful if someone could share any info they have so that I can make the correct decision as I don't want to pay for a visa application, wait months, only to have it refused. Can anyone give examples of what is/has been considered as sufficient/insufficient funds/ or whether this is a serious conern for the Embassy.

Thanks

fw1,

The ability to maintain your spouse without recourse to public funds is a fundamental requirement of her getting the visa. Therefore, if there exist some doubts in the visa officer's mind about whether you fulfil this criteria it is probable that your wife will be given an in depth interview; i.e. the long-wait one.

There is no absolute figure which constitutes sufficient funds as people's circumstances differ and, consequently, so does the amount of money they need to support themselves. Basically, any salary you are to receive should be enough. If in the short-term you will be unemployed then you will have to rely upon the sponsorship of family members and they will have to provide evidence of their ability to fulfil this responsibility.

Whichever path you choose, bear in mind that, irrespective of an applicant's circumstances, the issuance of a visa is never a certainty.

Scouse.