Thai Court Denies Bail For 'Merchant Of Death', Victor Bout

webfact

Thai court denies bail for 'Merchant of Death'

BANGKOK: -- (AFP) - Thailand's appeal court on Tuesday rejected a bail request by Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout as a legal battle over plans to extradite him to the United States looked set to drag into a third year.

The court is currently considering an appeal by Thailand's government against a ruling by the criminal court last August that Bout, dubbed the "Merchant of Death" by some media, should not be sent to the United States to stand trial.

On Tuesday the court rejected the bail request by Bout's lawyer, who asked that his client be released temporarily while the case continues, with the Russian embassy guaranteeing he would not try to escape.

Judge Jitakorn Patanasiri said Bout had missed a deadline for filing his bail request.

"So the appeal court has rejected the request," Jitakorn told the court.

Bout, a burly former Soviet air force officer, has been detained since he was arrested in March 2008 at a luxury Bangkok hotel where he was allegedly arranging to sell surface-to-air missiles to US agents posing as Colombian guerrillas.

No date has been set for the appeal ruling on Bout's extradition.

The 43-year-old Russian's colourful life is said to have inspired the Hollywood film "Lord of War" and he has been accused of peddling weapons around the world, including to Al-Qaeda.

The Thai government appealed in August after Bangkok's criminal court ruled that it did not have the authority to extradite Bout because the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia was not listed as a terrorist group in Thailand.

The decision was praised by Moscow but Washington said at the time it was "disappointed and mystified" by the rejection of its extradition request.

The nickname "Merchant of Death" was coined by a former British foreign office minister and also used for a 2007 book on Bout's alleged activities.

Bout faces life in prison if sent to the United States and convicted there on terrorism charges, including conspiracy to kill US officers or employees and conspiracy to acquire and use an anti-aircraft missile.

He denies the charges and insists that he ran a legitimate air cargo business.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-02-16

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Obviously an a hole responsible for the deaths of countless people so hope he rots in the BKK Hilton or anyother international state run hotel. Does anyone honestly believe a man like that is safe to be bailed out when he surely has a large stash of cash hidden somewhere to do a runner. It's a no brainer!

so why is it that only the USA thinks it can sell weapons?

Something like so they can have the monopoly on weapons sales, but couched in "freedom and homeland security" lingo.

In capitalism everyone has the right to prosperity and Russia and elsewhere have some good deals to offer on arms. So, the US should honor their credo of capitalism and not take offense to such entrepreneurship.

Of course I am a pacifist, and wholeheartedly disagree with arms as a whole, but ethically the US has no right to act the way it does with its false ethical standpoint when it comes to non-US involved weapons trade/deals..

I have often wondered why the US has assumed this authority of global cop/dicktator.

Signed,

An American Patriot in the Mark Twain sense of the word

Just because he didn't sell Uncle Sams' toys he is a bad boy? I mean I deslike anyone who sells arms. Violence has never produced any substantial long term result. He is guilty of selling weapons then he is guilty of crimes against humanity. He should be punished. However that right is not solely of US. Giving him bail?? Someone is really gone bonkers. Well hope the justice be done.

There are few places on earth that claim to be independent but are as crooked as Thai courts. A good example was the crew that was caught red handed with a plane full of arms from North Korea. The judge was simply told to let them go by the man who found the airport sige "fun".

This person was cleared however by the courts and is still in jail. Kasit probably needs the support or at least the silent approval from teh Americans for the possible slaughter in the make on February 26th.

Something like so they can have the monopoly on weapons sales, but couched in "freedom and homeland security" lingo.

In capitalism everyone has the right to prosperity and Russia and elsewhere have some good deals to offer on arms. So, the US should honor their credo of capitalism and not take offense to such entrepreneurship.

Of course I am a pacifist, and wholeheartedly disagree with arms as a whole, but ethically the US has no right to act the way it does with its false ethical standpoint when it comes to non-US involved weapons trade/deals..

I have often wondered why the US has assumed this authority of global cop/dicktator.

Signed,

It's not a question of America or anyother nation it's a question of ethics. Selling guns to African rebels who kidnap kids and arm them to kill there own families and people with the guns and grenades that the likes of this s_ithead sell is wrong. This dude does it to line his own pockets with the misery of others so I don't care who gets to sentence him even the USA. The USA are by no means perfect so lets get that health plan sorted and maybe some of their dirty arms money can be used to save lives rather than take it.

We're human, killing eachother is what we do but if one pawn in the illegal arms game can be eliminated then good ridance!

If you had done any research you would have found out that there are many private, legitimate arms dealers from many countries. While the FARC in Colombia are a half word away and don't get much attention in the local or Europe press, they are a large terrorist group that have caused misery and fear for decades in that country, and anyone supplying arms to them is acting illegally and profiting off the misery of others. The U.S. has done many things to be held accountable for, but to accuse it of trying to create a monopoly in arms sales is patently false and, to be quite honest, just stupid.

True its a bit strange, even if there are boycotts countries seem to ignore it. Why this guy has to go to jail is strange.

Erm.....???? He sells guns, grenades and anti aircraft to terrorists and dictators. If you sold me a handgun on the black market we'd both be put in prison and that gun would be much less dangerous in my hands than those of the loonatics he sells to

True its a bit strange, even if there are boycotts countries seem to ignore it. Why this guy has to go to jail is strange.

More than that: why TH must extradite him directly to US - bypassing RU? He is NOT a US citizen (so any direct US claims must be thrown away), he is NOT a TH citizen (so TH has NO ANY RIGHT to send him anywhere else but to his country of origin). And even more than that: why his own embassy (RU) keeping goddamn quiet about this all?

He is Russian, and in case of extradition (IF there will be any claims from Thailand) - he must be sent back to Russia. Nowhere else. US stays away from this all, and if they have something to deal with that - they must be dealing with Russian MFA.

That's how I understand this all.

Edited by alex_aka_P

If you had done any research you would have found out that there are many private, legitimate arms dealers from many countries. While the FARC in Colombia are a half word away and don't get much attention in the local or Europe press, they are a large terrorist group that have caused misery and fear for decades in that country, and anyone supplying arms to them is acting illegally and profiting off the misery of others. The U.S. has done many things to be held accountable for, but to accuse it of trying to create a monopoly in arms sales is patently false and, to be quite honest, just stupid.

oh please -

stay on subject

bring in other crap to support your way off target comments

we are talking about the Russian in Thailand that the USA wants

focus sunshine focus

More than that: why TH must extradite him directly to US - bypassing RU? He is NOT a US citizen (so any direct US claims must be thrown away), he is NOT a TH citizen (so TH has NO ANY RIGHT to send him anywhere else but to his country of origin). And even more than that: why his own embassy (RU) keeping goddamn quiet about this all?

He is Russian, and in case of extradition (IF there will be any claims from Thailand) - he must be sent back to Russia. Nowhere else. US stays away from this all, and if they have something to deal with that - they must be dealing with Russian MFA.

That's how I understand this all.

exactly

How sad really when the largest 'Merchant Of Death' is my country The United States of America bar none! :D

And they want to extradite him to the US to stand their trial by their laws and means. Another word you dare compete with the USA?

Victor should have paid off when asked instead of being so baroque and hard headed.

Nearly100% of so called arms dealers work for intel from one country or another some times more than 1.

Sorry Victor you should have paid the money instead of shooting your mouth off. :)

And they want to extradite him to the US to stand their trial by their laws and means. Another word you dare compete with the USA?

Victor should have paid off when asked instead of being so baroque and hard headed.

You're offering Russian citizen(s) to follow "US laws and means". Even they are far away from US, as far as we are here. Ok, that's clear.

But how will you do if they say "No, thanks!" to this offer? :)

US is just a small piece on the World's map. Why must everyone follow it to the road of its deep capitalistic h_ell? Lets just enjoy the show. :D

Edited by alex_aka_P

2 years in jail to fight extradition charges from a more and more corporatist nation...who will reimburse him or give him his 2 years back if he is able to fight the appeal too?

Edited by TAWP

If YOU had done any research you would know that he has never been proven to sell to FARC and the FARC-deal in itself was a faked one, created by the DEA to be able to use 'terrorist affiliation' legislation.

Kinda like how they would put a guy on the corner with a donation box and a sign saying <deleted>. You might giggle and give the man a coin, but you are then guilty of financially supporting a terrorist organisation.

(<deleted> = Moro Islamic Liberation Front)

Guantanamo, here you come.

2 years in jail to fight extradition charges from a more and more corporatist nation...who will reimburse him or give him his 2 years back if he is able to fight the appeal too?

He's been in TH for 2 years already. If the US had a real case, it would help to show some real evidence. Sure, if he's guilty of 1) conspiracy to kill Americans, 2) conspiracy to kill American soldiers, 3) conspiracy to obtain and use anti-aircraft missiles, 4) conspiracy to provide material support to a terrorist organization, then fine - lock him up. However, there is no evidence to support the indictment.

Putting him in the same class as people who actually want to do harm to the US (as an ideology) is unfortunate. It has cost a lot of money to get him in jail (and keep him there). The US should pursue actual criminals instead. It's a great country whose government sometimes does misguided things.

I've been following viktorbout dot net among others to follow the case.

If YOU had done any research you would know that he has never been proven to sell to FARC and the FARC-deal in itself was a faked one, created by the DEA to be able to use 'terrorist affiliation' legislation.

Extradition precedes a trial where it will or will not be proven. There is evidence that he has sold arms illegaly, and that is why extradition is sought. Guantanamo? Just what does that have to do with this thread? Don't try to confuse the issue any more than you already have.

Extradition precedes a trial where it will or will not be proven. There is evidence that he has sold arms illegaly, and that is why extradition is sought. Guantanamo? Just what does that have to do with this thread? Don't try to confuse the issue any more than you already have.

He is not being requested to be extradited because he is selling arms, but for sellings arms to a terrorist organisation that has the intent to kill Americans. Aka, they specifically chose a group (FARC) that the US has labeled a terrorist organisation so they could trump up the charges higher than mere arms dealing.

If you want to learn more about Mr. Viktor Bout from anyone other than some of the rather unknowledgeble posts here, check out:

http://www.globalpolicy.org/component/cont.../165/29634.html

See if you think it's just a U.S. vs the rest of the world as some here imply.

well i read this and i am impressed with his resume

however, when I read US Dick Cheney (Haliburton) resume it reads much better

go figure

If you want to learn more about Mr. Viktor Bout from anyone other than some of the rather unknowledgeble posts here, check out:

http://www.globalpolicy.org/component/cont.../165/29634.html

See if you think it's just a U.S. vs the rest of the world as some here imply.

well i read this and i am impressed with his resume

however, when I read US Dick Cheney (Haliburton) resume it reads much better

go figure

I agree with you on this one. The whole Iraqi debacle is a mess. Dubya should have been impeached...

Shoot the as**ole, and just eliminate one more worthless <deleted>** on this planet!

Signed,

It's not a question of America or anyother nation it's a question of ethics. Selling guns to African rebels who kidnap kids and arm them to kill there own families and people with the guns and grenades that the likes of this s_ithead sell is wrong. This dude does it to line his own pockets with the misery of others so I don't care who gets to sentence him even the USA. The USA are by no means perfect so lets get that health plan sorted and maybe some of their dirty arms money can be used to save lives rather than take it.

We're human, killing eachother is what we do but if one pawn in the illegal arms game can be eliminated then good ridance!

The fact that these purchasers were US Agents should negate any terrorism charges. There was absolutely no danger that the weapons would have ever fallen into the wrong hands should a successful transaction have been completed. It sounds like he was baited, lured and entrapped to me.

If anyone thinks the US haven't used him or people like him to buy arms and smuggle them to their illegally funded regional terrorist groups over the years they are kidding themsleves.

Lord of War was a good film, based on Bout's life, although he thought it was rubbish, apparently.