Baht Buses

nev

there are 700 hundred baht buses in pattaya dont you all think this is way to much for such a small area,if they reduce to say 300 there would be still plenty and the traffic would run more smoothly.

free up beach rd and 2nd road a reduce pollution.

how many times have you walked along beach rd or just sat and watched the traffic and seen one baht bus after another going by with no or just one or two people,this would be a step in the right direction,but to impliment would be very hard with the taxi mafia.

Would you rather be able to get a bus in a few seconds or possibly have to wait in the sun or rain - you would proably have to pay more and increase the chance of some prick stopping the bus mid journey to go somewhere else the multiplicy of buses generally makes life easier for the tourist. and to be quite honest no one in authority in Thailand gives a crap about the opinions of foreign residents or the enviornment. Money comes first.

I had a chat with an unusually friendly baht bus driver doing the Pattaya to Jomtien run the other day.

I asked him what was his average daily net profit and he said 400 to 500 baht.

Was he fibbing?

I don't know but why should he?

Assuming he wasn't and this level of income is common, can we draw any conclusions from that?

Maybe there are too many buses on the streets (I sure think so). If the numbers were reduced, the remaining drivers could work fewer hours (and less likely to act out in crazy ways), drive a little slower, and make a decent living.

The layed off drivers could start another beer bar (joking).

I had a chat with an unusually friendly baht bus driver doing the Pattaya to Jomtien run the other day.

I asked him what was his average daily net profit and he said 400 to 500 baht.

Was he fibbing?

I don't know but why should he?

Assuming he wasn't and this level of income is common, can we draw any conclusions from that?

Maybe there are too many buses on the streets (I sure think so). If the numbers were reduced, the remaining drivers could work fewer hours (and less likely to act out in crazy ways), drive a little slower, and make a decent living.

The layed off drivers could start another beer bar (joking).

spot on thaiquila and also wouldnt take 10 minutes sometimes to turn the corner at walking street this post is just from my observation sitting on the beach front seeing so many empty baht buses and enjoying the smell of the petrol fumes from them.lol.

I agree that their are plenty of baht busses running about fairly empty during the quieter part of the day, but in the evenings especially during the high season many are full carrying both Thai workers and tourists about.

At the rate that Pattaya is expanding and as more people will require transport we may even see the need for more baht busses during the peak times of the day.

As for 10 minutes to cross the road, it sometimes is amazing how a minute or two seems like 10.

As for the driver earning 4 to 5 hundred baht a day then good luck to him for earning over the Thai average wage.

• 3 years later...

A lot of people moan about Baht Buses but they are useful, especially when it is raining in Pattaya or when it is very hot indeed.

Also, they are great for travel from central Pattaya to Naklua (Post Office) and to Jomtien (Chayapreeuek).

I say, overall, I would not want to be without them.

It is like a predator prey equilibrium problem. There are not that many opportunities to make money in Thailand. Unfortunately, they over do it and everybody rushes to the same side of the boat. Just look at all the little travel agencies, travel booths, etc.. all marketing the same thing. If there were less, the tourists would still get what they needed. Same for the baht bus. A few hundred less would hardly make a difference in the level of service, but it won't happen. Same for the shopping malls. Can't see much more need in Pattaya after Big C and Mike's and Garden Mall, especially with Tesco, and Carre Four around. How about the little massage places? Have never seen a waiting line yet with so many around.

A lot of people moan about Baht Buses but they are useful, especially when it is raining in Pattaya or when it is very hot indeed.

Also, they are great for travel from central Pattaya to Naklua (Post Office) and to Jomtien (Chayapreeuek).

Nobody wants to do without them but wouldn't a more efficient deployment of them be more beneficial to everyone?

I mean seeing 9 out of 10 empty going along Second Road wnen it's nigh on impossible to get one on Third Road, Thepprasit or along North Road to the bus staion <deleted>! That's just a waste of the avialabele resouces.

It seems that they would rather cruise around the tourist spots in the hope of getting a ridicoulously high one off fare than cruise the routes that actually need a regular service and earn the same amount of money for the same kilometres in effort.

Thai economics in play somewhere I suspect, as well as the mafia control of wher they can go.

In my experience I've always found that they are less likely to stop for me when it is raining.

Nobody wants to do without them but wouldn't a more efficient deployment of them be more beneficial to everyone?

I mean seeing 9 out of 10 empty going along Second Road wnen it's nigh on impossible to get one on Third Road, Thepprasit or along North Road to the bus staion <deleted>! That's just a waste of the avialabele resouces.

It seems that they would rather cruise around the tourist spots in the hope of getting a ridicoulously high one off fare than cruise the routes that actually need a regular service and earn the same amount of money for the same kilometres in effort.

Thai economics in play somewhere I suspect, as well as the mafia control of wher they can go.

Well, i am happily living without of them, just purchased my own vehicle to avoid becoming a victim of their scams or bad issue of the day, unfortunately many of these drivers are just criminals, if they were honest i would have kept using them but after so many bad experiences i just hate them, be carefull with these people!

sorry but i dont understand where people are coming from, from my experience for 10 baht you can hop on a bus, which are usually around in seconds without hassle, no a doubt you have to be carefull for pick pockets on the bus which have been highlighted in other threads, but generally they are spot on.... like said..baht buses rule..great means of transport..great price.... :o

Well, i am happily living without of them, just purchased my own vehicle to avoid becoming a victim of their scams or bad issue of the day, unfortunately many of these drivers are just criminals, if they were honest i would have kept using them but after so many bad experiences i just hate them, be carefull with these people!

Puts paid to your going out for a bevvy of a night then.

Or are you going to add to the DUI statistics of Pattaya?

sorry but i dont understand where people are coming from, from my experience for 10 baht you can hop on a bus, which are usually around in seconds without hassle, no a doubt you have to be carefull for pick pockets on the bus which have been highlighted in other threads, but generally they are spot on.... like said..baht buses rule..great means of transport..great price.... :o

Spuey, i am glad you had just good experiences, however please allow me to remind you that you might not be immune by those random events, i mean drivers all of a sudden going to the wrong way, refusing to stop and only let you get off in places where people should not walk, asking you for 10 or 20 times what you expect to pay, grabbing your harm while you are giving him money to get more money from you, try to run you over, stopping only to quickly speed away while you try to get on the bus, believe me the list is very long but i guess that might be enough for the time being....hope you understand now, all the best

Puts paid to your going out for a bevvy of a night then.

Or are you going to add to the DUI statistics of Pattaya?

:o ...you really made me laugh, sorry to disappoint you but i do not need alchool to enjoy myself, however i understand your point and i would say that if you are driving, after drinking always arrange for someone else to drive you home (maybe your Miss or a friend?) in other words don't drink and drive!

Spuey, i am glad you had just good experiences, however please allow me to remind you that you might not be immune by those random events, i mean drivers all of a sudden going to the wrong way, refusing to stop and only let you get off in places where people should not walk, asking you for 10 or 20 times what you expect to pay, grabbing your harm while you are giving him money to get more money from you, try to run you over, stopping only to quickly speed away while you try to get on the bus, believe me the list is very long but i guess that might be enough for the time being....hope you understand now, all the best

I go to Pattaya every few months and have NEVER had these things happen to me or anyone I know in many years. You are way over-exaggerating. :o

I go to Pattaya every few months and have NEVER had these things happen to me or anyone I know in many years. You are way over-exaggerating. :o

Yes, but you don't LIVE here and use them most every day:

i mean drivers all of a sudden going to the wrong way CHECK

refusing to stop and only let you get off in places where people should not walk CHECK (common)

asking you for 10 or 20 times what you expect to pay NO, but I have seen it happen to tourists

grabbing your harm while you are giving him money to get more money from you CHECK

try to run you over NO

stopping only to quickly speed away while you try to get on the bus CHECK

In 10 years i would like to see a skytrain circuiting Beach and second Road can you see it?? :o

I can already Picture it....they`ll have a Stations at Central Festival , Walking Street, Hardrock, Big C and so on..... :D

Andy

In order for that to happen Andy, the project would need to have been started 10 years ago!!! Keep on dreaming! :D

In 10 years i would like to see a skytrain circuiting Beach and second Road can you see it?? :o

I can already Picture it....they`ll have a Stations at Central Festival , Walking Street, Hardrock, Big C and so on..... :D

Andy

HAHAHA....skytrain? They can't even build a road from South pattaya to Jomtien!!! Anyway, baht buses are workable as a feature of this town, all they need is some regulation and enforcement and signs ON ALL BAHT BUSES re: fares and a 24 hour help line. No ifs, no buts.

What can i say? maybe have a "reality check" of some sort? i don't know.....but i would just repeat myself by saying that just because it never happen to you before, it doesn't mean it's never going to happen to you....you know what i mean? good luck my man