What Type Of C Band Lnb Do I Need?

Pib

I currently have a C Band dish/system which uses a 2-output LNB to two (2) separate receivers via two separate RG-6 cables. Each output of the 2-output LNB can provide Vertical or Horizontal polarization output. So, each receiver basically has its own LNB.

However, I want to expand this from 2 receivers in 2 rooms to 5 receivers in 5 rooms. I realized I will need to use a "Multiswitch" which allows at least 2 LNB inputs and provides 6 receiver outputs to do this (since multiswitches seem to come in even numbered outputs), but here is my question: Can I use the current 2-output LNB which provides V/H on "each" output port; or must I switch to a LNB that has 2 outputs "but" one output provides Vertical polarization only and the other output Horizontal polarization only?

Thanks in advance for any clarification/guidance you can give me.

Depends on what wiring you currently have. What Satellites do you want to connect to? How many dishes do you have, want? Will the dish (dishes) be moveable? Normally you would have the LNBs connected to a Diseq switch which then goes to a splitter then connects to each separate room where each receiver selects the LNB (satellite) required. After you decide what you want and you will have buy more receivers and get someone in to do the wiring. Try http://www.jsat.tv in Bangkok. There may be other options available.

Edited by newcomer01

I have one fixed 5.5ft dish pointed at Thaicom 2/5. I want to be able to run 5 receivers in 5 separate rooms with no conflicts between the receives/channel selection with a minimun amount of switching-type hardware between the dish and receivers. Don't think a DisEqC switch is what I need as that would be for connecting up to 4 LNBs/dish to one receiver; don't think a DisEqC switch works in the opposite direction, but even if it did, I need to hook up 5 receivers to 1 C Band fixed dish.

Seems a 2x6 multiswitch (two LNB inputs with 6 receiver outputs) appears to be the answer (I think), but I don't know if I must use a dual LNB where each output can do both V & H polarization; OR, I must use a dual LNB where one output gives only V and the other output only H. I guess it comes down to as to when and how these two different LNB types would be used "to provide the most trouble free setup/no signal conflicts. And I want to do this myself (I have some electronics repair background from military days) since I can access the dish, wiring, etc., pretty easily.

And after a ton of goggling and visiting web sites like jsat I can't find a definitive answer. So far for in-Thailand web sites I've found the 9sats.com web site to be very good explaining things via diagrams/pictures, but you must have Google translator turned on as the site is in Thai...and it seems that a lot of other Thai satellite TV web sites have their sites partially hot linked to 9sats.com information.

Thanks for your feedback. Cheers.

I have one fixed 5.5ft dish pointed at Thaicom 2/5. I want to be able to run 5 receivers in 5 separate rooms with no conflicts between the receives/channel selection with a minimun amount of switching-type hardware between the dish and receivers. Don't think a DisEqC switch is what I need as that would be for connecting up to 4 LNBs/dish to one receiver; don't think a DisEqC switch works in the opposite direction, but even if it did, I need to hook up 5 receivers to 1 C Band fixed dish.

Seems a 2x6 multiswitch (two LNB inputs with 6 receiver outputs) appears to be the answer (I think), but I don't know if I must use a dual LNB where each output can do both V & H polarization; OR, I must use a dual LNB where one output gives only V and the other output only H. I guess it comes down to as to when and how these two different LNB types would be used "to provide the most trouble free setup/no signal conflicts. And I want to do this myself (I have some electronics repair background from military days) since I can access the dish, wiring, etc., pretty easily.

And after a ton of goggling and visiting web sites like jsat I can't find a definitive answer. So far for in-Thailand web sites I've found the 9sats.com web site to be very good explaining things via diagrams/pictures, but you must have Google translator turned on as the site is in Thai...and it seems that a lot of other Thai satellite TV web sites have their sites partially hot linked to 9sats.com information.

Thanks for your feedback. Cheers.

Normally you would have the LNBs connected to a DisEqC switch which then goes to a splitter then connects to each separate room where each receiver selects the LNB (satellite) required when the channel is selected.

1 fixed C band LNB output Coax cable (RG6) to a 6 way splitter (same as a TV wiring) or use a (2x6 multiswitch - two LNB inputs with 6 receiver outputs - use only one input ) then wired with Coax cable (RG6) cable to each room. If you have 2 rooms already wired it will show if there are conflicts. Check this out for polarization. http://www.lyngsat.com/thai78.html

If your dish had a C band and Ku Band LNBs then they would need to connect to DisEqC switch which has a single output then out to a splitter to each separate room.

Once you have wired up the rooms you can connect any number of dishes / LNBs to it.

Edited by newcomer01

You are correct in saying you need an LNB that puts out vertical signals on one output and horizontal on the other, the 5-way splitter device then uses the LNB voltage switching from each receiver to select the correct signal.

No conflicts as the H/V switched signal only runs to one receiver.

You MAY be able to use your existing LNB, IIRC I've seen some switchers with variable LNB voltage that would allow you to set one output permanently to H and the other permanently to V.

Regarding the Multiswitch, I think my only real concern (or uncertainty) is ensuring no LNB horizontal/vertical polarization conflicts are caused by my receivers. Assuming the multiswitch circuitry prevents any such conflict from occurring (i.e., it keeps the LNB V input and H input separate), then I should be good-to-go with a 2x6 multiswitch for my 5 recieves/rooms.

And after doing some more googling I still didn't find the "definitive" answer I was looking for regarding a dual output C band LNB regarding an LNB that has one V "only" output and one H "only" output "compared" to a dual output C Band LNB whose two outputs can each do V "or" H polarization.

I'm beginning to think that the dual C Band LNBs that have a V output "only" and H output "only" help to prevent the LNB switching to the wrong polarization due to voltage drops/hiccups caused by loose/corroded connections between the receiver, multiswitch, and LNBs. However, a dual C Band LNB where each output can do V "or" H will work just fine...but I can see if the connection going to the LNB's output you are using as the 18V H output, that a bad connection could cause a voltage drop and cause the LNB to switch to V polarization mode (14 volts), where in a LNB with V or H outputs only (i.e., fixed outputs) this problem can't occur.

That would work but that would require a lot of extra cabling from the LNB and I suspect such an LNB ain't cheap. Plus, within Thailand, 4 output LNB's are generally the highest outputs LNB you can buy....I would need to then hang two LNB's on the dish.