Napisan Or Like Product?

ozsamurai

For those that have chosen the non-disposable route, and going with cloth diapering, I being a complete novice looked for the products I know, which was Napisan. BUT, you guessed it, nothing like that I have seen, what and how is this done here? Haita, bleach?? wouldn't think getting that stuff next to baby's skin would be good...;( 1 month to go, please any help out there?

Oz

Being from North America I had no idea what Napisan was, but I looked it up. It is basically (over 27%) sodium percarbonate, which is the active disinfectant.

So you can use any sodium percarbonate based bleach and achieve the same results, but without the high cost of marketing and branding.

I suggest you head to the store and look for any eco friendly bleach product and use that. A little googling shows it is also used as a deck cleaner, so you might try checking at Home Depot. In the worst case you can order it wholesale from any number of chemical supply houses around Thailand.

http://ndn.co.th/products%20index/Chem%20Home%20Care.html

Edit: Google is wonderful. How exactly did people survive before the internet? I'm always amazed by how much you can learn with only 5 minutes of effort.

Edited by gregb

Mhh, better a bit of labor than chemicals, but that is just my opinion. Iron starts from 200,- BHT .

No, I have the iron, just not space for the board or inclination to spend my days ironing nappies

:) Thanks for the break down on that gregb, will research, Dad is an industrial chemist, will ask

Oz

I've cloth diapered here for years and never used Napisan or similar. I just wash a short wash with just baking soda. Then I do another short wash with 1/4 the recommended detergent (too much and they get gummy/smelly) and use white vinegar in the rinse cycle. Sun them afterwards if you want.

• 3 weeks later...
I've cloth diapered here for years and never used Napisan or similar. I just wash a short wash with just baking soda. Then I do another short wash with 1/4 the recommended detergent (too much and they get gummy/smelly) and use white vinegar in the rinse cycle. Sun them afterwards if you want.

I do something very similar to kannon99. Wash with baking soda, rinse with vinegar, and dry in the sun. Also, we have a front loading washing machine with an internal water heater. And one of the options is "Baby Care" which washes the clothes at 90 degrees Celcius and rinses them 4 times (instead of the usual 3).

Bleach or Haiter or whatever you want to call it is not recommended, as over time it breaks down the fibers and your diapers will be less aborbant.

Oz there are specific products for washing the babys clothes at Lotus and shops similar to that. Perhaps if needed you could bleech then rinse then rewash using that solution provided. Im sorry I cant think of the products name off hand, but its in a bottle or tetra pack.

A bit of research and a great deasl of help from the forum, has surfaced a product that should be available at any Tesco of carrefour. Named Hygiene Zuper O2,

Sodium Carbonide Peroxyhydrate 50% (w/w)

Sodium Carbonate 39%

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate 5.7%

Sodium Lauryl sarcosinate.5%

I believe this is close enough to napisan, used in diluted (half amount)

Oz