What Does Pizza Company Use For Cheese?

steffi

most restaurants use mozzarella made from cow, only a small percentage use buffalo's and when they do is usually cut in large flat slices. Chains and fast food outlets (not just in America, here in UK too) don't even use mozzarella cheese at all, just a vegetable oil substitute mixed with cheddar (40% - 60%), apparently is to give that American flavour to the recipe, I kid you not

Any good italian margharita will have freshly made pizza dough, fresh tomato sauce and good buffalo mozzarella. Anything else and I wouldn't visit twice. Oh and it should be slightly crisp on the base not soggy!

As for the mix used by the pizza takeaways in London..... :)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, and maybe you can enlighten us on the difference between San Daniele and Culatello

I rwally don't see the relevance. Maybe if we compared parma ham with pepperoni it would make more sense. But for the record I like both hams however Culatello is usually a fair bit more expensive.

This does not sound anything like any American pizza that I've ever had outside of maybe the frozen ones at the supermarket. Maybe you haven't figured out that you can order them without all the weird crap that the Thais like. I usually have tomato sauce and cheese and sometimes add pepperoni and mushrooms.

Frankly, the pizza is not the real problem, it sounds as if whoever has ordered these type of pizzas has a few brain-cells missing!

if you now tell us that your personal preference is for few toppings, that's up to you. But up to now you've been extolling the virtues of American oven baked, spongy & base fried crust (that you obnoxiously insist in calling pizza) and that's how it's normally served there and also in the pizza chains around the world. So by your statement anyone patronising American pizza joints have fewer and fewer brain cells.

I was waiting for someone to post an example, see below post; it proves my point. What you can see there is a spongy bread type of baked crust overloaded with cheese (God knows, what mixture went in there) all puffed up. Cooked in a tray (which is a no no for any self respecting pizza joint), which is usually greased with vegetable oil so to make pizza removal easier, you'll ended up with slightly fried base. That's an abomination of baked spongy crust, whatever you wanna call it. The things is old boy, you don't know pizza, because you never tried it. What you refer to is something similar to the below pic. I talk about pizza you talk about spongy fried crust. Two different products altogether. It's your insistence in calling it pizza that causes the problem and for that you and others should be tied up to a lamppost and flogged on your bare arse cheeks until you repeat sorry 25 times :)

Has anyone that you might consider a friend ever pointed out to you that you obsess? Best case scenario is that you have too much time on your hands, are seriously misguided, and focus only on what you have to say, completely discounting all other posters. Worse case - you're crazed!

Edited by venturalaw

what is spongy crust? :D Sounds like you perhaps are not eating a full cooked pizza - one's I normally have are quite crispy.

sponginess in crust is a side effect of having too many toppings, especially vegetables, which can release water during cooking time, hence these overloaded pizzas have lots of moisture in the centre of the crust. The slightly fried effect on the edges is due to oil in the cooking pan. One can forgive UG for his cluelessness as he knows next to nothing about pizza and food in general but I'd expect bit better from you, given your travels and exposure to different cuisines and foods

You really have no idea what you are talking about. That's one of the funniest comments that I have read in years. UG knows next to nothing about pizza and food in general. :):D :D :D

Edited by venturalaw

What is that, a tomato pie? :):D :D

post-7932-1266916604_thumb.jpg

So funny! You really think that those are tomatoes on top?

dog droppings more like ...

well apparently to Toptuan is a Chicago Deep Dish whatever, so it must be of your taste and that says it all :D it put in context everything you may say on the subject and I stop here

Have to agree with you toptuan. Best pizza I ever had was in Chicago - deep dish pizza at Gino's Pizzeria East. America triumphs again - although compared to Italian pizza (snack) there really was no contest.

I really don't taste any cheddar in American Pizza, Cheddar is a very strong and distinctive tasting cheese with a totally different texture Cheddar takes around 3 months to make, Mozarella takes an hour or two to make, I don't see how substituting cheddar is going to save money.

read again what I wrote; the mix used by the lower end of the pizza market (chains and fast food outlets) is devoid of mozzarella, 40% is vegetable oil cheese akin to mozzarella in stretch and texture but crucially not in flavour and heat resistance (it tends to burn quicker) and 60% cheddar no-mature. It's sold to the caterers shredded or diced in large 2kg poly bags. The savings is in replacing milk mozzarella with vegetable oil "mozzarella" substitute. FWIW, when I was in Boston quite a few pizza joints there blended mozzarella cheese with cheddar and I occasionally seen that in other places in my travels to USA

yes, and maybe you can enlighten us on the difference between San Daniele and Culatello

I rwally don't see the relevance. Maybe if we compared parma ham with pepperoni it would make more sense. But for the record I like both hams however Culatello is usually a fair bit more expensive.

well you tried a smart arse zinger at anguid's expense so I wanted to check if you know what you're talking about. Still your answer ain't convincing enough

most restaurants use mozzarella made from cow, only a small percentage use buffalo's and when they do is usually cut in large flat slices. Chains and fast food outlets (not just in America, here in UK too) don't even use mozzarella cheese at all, just a vegetable oil substitute mixed with cheddar (40% - 60%), apparently is to give that American flavour to the recipe, I kid you not

Any good italian margharita will have freshly made pizza dough, fresh tomato sauce and good buffalo mozzarella. Anything else and I wouldn't visit twice. Oh and it should be slightly crisp on the base not soggy!

As for the mix used by the pizza takeaways in London..... :)

yeah if you go by the textbook, 'afraid commercial realities dictate that mozzarella from cow is preferred over buffalo's. Still in Italy restaurateurs make their own pizza sauce from scratch, that cannot be said of USA or Australia (apart from few notable exceptions), just to name two of UG fav places

Has anyone that you might consider a friend ever pointed out to you that you obsess? Best case scenario is that you have too much time on your hands, are seriously misguided, and focus only on what you have to say, completely discounting all other posters. Worse case - you're crazed!

well the same could be said about you, given your maniacal championing of Chicago deep pan baked bread (don't you even try to call that pizza!), as well as your dissing of a country's cuisine. It takes one to know another, the difference you're further gone than your realize

We are talking about Italian pizza vs. American pizza.

wrong! there isn't such contest, pizza is Italian, what you have in USA is a different product that shouldn't be called pizza. End of

You really have no idea what you are talking about. That's one of the funniest comments that I have read in years. UG knows next to nothing about pizza and food in general. :D :D :D :D

it doesn't surprise me you don't understand the natural process of vegetables releasing water when cooked, given your taste for Chicago Deep baked bread, what can we expect from you anyway... just out of curiosity, how old are you? from the way you write I'm still undecided if I'm talking to a teenager or OAP .... whatever :)

I have had pizza in many countries including Italy, and there is no contest. Chicago deep dish pizza at a few of the better places IN CHICAGO (including the ORIGINAL Ginos East) is the best in the world. Eurosnobs just don't get it with their crispy crackers. They are deprived.

Edited by Jingthing

I have had pizza in many countries including Italy, and there is no contest. Chicago deep dish pizza at a few of the better places IN CHICAGO (including the ORIGINAL Ginos East) is the best in the world. Eurosnobs just don't get it with their crispy crackers. They are deprived.

an endorsement from jingthing is a kiss of death for any chef or restaurateurs :) anyway for the sake of argument here what I found about Gino East Chicago. I hope that is NOT what he had in mind, but here we go:

================================================================================

FAQ:

11. What is a Gino's East Deep Dish Pizza?

It starts with the crust which has gotta be deep. Gino's East uses its own secret recipe dough and forms the crust into a well seasoned pan, then comes the aged cheese-not just a little-tons of cheese followed by any meat or veggie ingredients. Then comes the moment of truth for any truly authentic Chicago Deep Dish Pizza; the sauce must be on top of the cheese. Gino's East smothers its' Deep Dish Pizza with its own signature sauce, then it is baked to a golden brown and we are sure you'll agree, Gino's East is the standard by which all other Chicago Deep Dish Pizza is judged.

12. What is an Edwardo's Stuffed Pizza?

Not to be confused with Deep Dish, Stuffed Pizza involves a different method of preparation, and nobody makes it like Edwardo's. Edwardo's begins with a layer of its secret recipe dough, and fits the dough into its customized pizza pans. The next step is to load the pizza with generous helpings of aged cheese and other fresh ingredients. Then comes the secret to Edwardo's stuffed pizza, a second layer of dough which is fitted on top of the ingredients giving the pizza the appearance of a giant pie. Finally, a thick layer of our trademark sauce and the pizza is baked to perfection. There you have it, stuffed pizza the Edwardo's way.

INGREDIENTS:

DOUGH: [FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MAULTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, THAMIN, MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLICACID), WATER, CORN OIL, DOUGH CONDITIONER )SUGAR, CREAM OF OIL, YEAST], SAUCE: [TOMATOES IN PUREE (VINE RIPENED FRESH TOMATOES, TOMATO PUREE, FRESH BASIL LEAVES, SALT, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, AND NATURALLY DERIVED CITRIC ACID), TOMATO PUREE: (TOMATOES, TOMATO PUREE, SALT, AND CITRIC ACID), WATER, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SUGAR, SALT, OREGANO, BLACK PEPPER]), CHEESE: [LOW MOISTURE MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, RENNET0] SAUSAGE: [COOKED ITALIAN SAUSAGE TIOOUBG (PORK, WATER, SALT, SPICES AND SPICE EXTRACTIVES, FENNEL SEED, PAPRIKA, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, BHA, BTA, SOY LECITHIN], VEGETABLE OIL (100% SOY BEAN OIL), SPICE TOPPING: [ROMANO CHEESE (AGED ROMANO CHEESE [PASTERUIZED COW’S MILK, CHEESE CULTRUE, SALT AND ENZYMES], POWDERED CELLULOSE CALCIUM [PRESERVATIVE], OREGANO.

PRODUCT PHOTO :D

(look away now if you have weak stomach)

================================================================================

there is not even point having a conversation, no matter what American vulgarians may blather about it

post-7932-1267044927_thumb.jpg

an endorsement from jingthing is a kiss of death for any chef or restaurateurs :D anyway for the sake of argument here what I found about Gino East Chicago. I hope that is NOT what he had in mind, but here we go:

FAQ:

11. What is a Gino's East Deep Dish Pizza?

It starts with the crust which has gotta be deep. Gino's East uses its own secret recipe dough and forms the crust into a well seasoned pan, then comes the aged cheese-not just a little-tons of cheese followed by any meat or veggie ingredients. Then comes the moment of truth for any truly authentic Chicago Deep Dish Pizza; the sauce must be on top of the cheese. Gino's East smothers its' Deep Dish Pizza with its own signature sauce, then it is baked to a golden brown and we are sure you'll agree, Gino's East is the standard by which all other Chicago Deep Dish Pizza is judged.

12. What is an Edwardo's Stuffed Pizza?

Not to be confused with Deep Dish, Stuffed Pizza involves a different method of preparation, and nobody makes it like Edwardo's. Edwardo's begins with a layer of its secret recipe dough, and fits the dough into its customized pizza pans. The next step is to load the pizza with generous helpings of aged cheese and other fresh ingredients. Then comes the secret to Edwardo's stuffed pizza, a second layer of dough which is fitted on top of the ingredients giving the pizza the appearance of a giant pie. Finally, a thick layer of our trademark sauce and the pizza is baked to perfection. There you have it, stuffed pizza the Edwardo's way.

INGREDIENTS:

DOUGH: [FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MAULTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, THAMIN, MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLICACID), WATER, CORN OIL, DOUGH CONDITIONER )SUGAR, CREAM OF OIL, YEAST], SAUCE: [TOMATOES IN PUREE (VINE RIPENED FRESH TOMATOES, TOMATO PUREE, FRESH BASIL LEAVES, SALT, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, AND NATURALLY DERIVED CITRIC ACID), TOMATO PUREE: (TOMATOES, TOMATO PUREE, SALT, AND CITRIC ACID), WATER, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SUGAR, SALT, OREGANO, BLACK PEPPER]), CHEESE: [LOW MOISTURE MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, RENNET0] SAUSAGE: [COOKED ITALIAN SAUSAGE TIOOUBG (PORK, WATER, SALT, SPICES AND SPICE EXTRACTIVES, FENNEL SEED, PAPRIKA, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, BHA, BTA, SOY LECITHIN], VEGETABLE OIL (100% SOY BEAN OIL), SPICE TOPPING: [ROMANO CHEESE (AGED ROMANO CHEESE [PASTERUIZED COW'S MILK, CHEESE CULTRUE, SALT AND ENZYMES], POWDERED CELLULOSE CALCIUM [PRESERVATIVE], OREGANO.

PRODUCT PHOTO :D

(look away now if you have weak stomach)

there is not even point having a conversation, no matter what American vulgarians may blather about it

Pass me a spoon. :)

Napa Valley wines are not better, but they are just as good. New York and Melbourne pizzas are far better than the rest! :D

coming from someone who's never eaten pizza and never been to Italy,

I've spent heaps of time in Italia and the pizza there is rubbish. Pasta is quite another story though... :)

Same here. And absolutely correct.

I have had pizza in many countries including Italy, and there is no contest. Chicago deep dish pizza at a few of the better places IN CHICAGO (including the ORIGINAL Gino's East) is the best in the world. Euro snobs just don't get it with their crispy crackers. They are deprived.

In countries North of Italy most Pizzerias serve the huger than the plate, thick and a little corrugated at the edge and softer in the middle pizzas, rich with toppings. Simply delicious.

well the same could be said about you, given your maniacal championing of Chicago deep pan baked bread (don't you even try to call that pizza!), as well as your dissing of a country's cuisine. It takes one to know another, the difference you're further gone than your realize

We are talking about Italian pizza vs. American pizza.

wrong! there isn't such contest, pizza is Italian, what you have in USA is a different product that shouldn't be called pizza. End of

Your answer to the fact that you are all alone here (no one agrees with you concerning the superiority of Italian pizza to American pizza) is to misquote and insult. For instance, I never maniacally championed Chicago deep dish pizza. I merely stated that the "best pizza I ever had was in Chicago - deep dish pizza at Gino's Pizzeria East" (unlike you who has endlessly proclaimed, maniacally perhaps, that others with whom you disagree, i.e. everybody in this thread, have never tasted pizzas made in Italy, which also is not true). Have you ever tasted a deep dish pizza made in Chicago? Probably not.

Also, I never 'dissed' Italy's cuisine, just the pizza. This has been pointed out to you before.

Lying about other's posts is trolling per se. However, perhaps in your case it is not intentional. You may be too old, or, maybe you have eaten too much of that ketchup-on-a-cracker referred to as Italian pizza, which has been known to cause lapses in one's memory.

Talk about an utter, deluded, complete MAROON! :)

no amount of bluster and baloney will hide the simple fact you know nothing about pizza, and yet you freely offer your opinion on the matter to all and sundry. You've been asked to qualify your catty remarks, only to spout more of the same. I gave you plenty of opportunity to debate pizza making, discussed with some details the USA & Australian scene (which you profess to know), but time and time again you declined to answer or explain. Below a selection of your contribution so far:

Sounds great, but Italian pizza in Thailand is not usually up to much. If you do like it, try Pizza Hut/Company "thin and cripy crust". It is just as lousy as a real Italian pizza. :D
I've had plenty of Italian made pizzas right here in Thailand and none were anything but mediocre.

When I was a child, I used to make my own "pizzas" with English muffins and tomato sauce. Seems like they would win prestigious awards in Italy. I could be their greatest pizza chef!

Yes, even Switzerland has better pizza than Italy. :D

talking about behaving like a MAROON, thee fact of the matter your've been nailed to your wheelchair as blowhard troll, with zero expertise on pizza. Let remind everybody again how you base your opinion of Italian pizza: 1. Having eaten pizza in Thailand - 2. Hearsay from friends - 3. erm that's all ...

Interesting that you haven't commented on Gino East Chiacago pizza, which you claimed to be of superior quality, I went to the trouble to research for it, to understand how they make pizza in that joint. No, zero comment, is it because you never actually eaten there? is it because you feel embarrassed at that baked pie with ketchup and cheese on top, fit only for pig consumption? or is it more likely you actually don't understand the ingredients and additives present in there? or is it the actual technique in dough making? Again total silence from you, hey buddy this is Chicago pizza we're talking about, you know that diarrhea inducing sub-standard pizza like product you've been raving about

Kudos venturalaw. Ketchup-on-a-cracker is the most accurate description of Italian Pizza that I have ever seen! :)

ahah the irony; given that now we known Deep Pan Chicago pizza is made with tomato puree, additives and a concoction prepared tomatoes, your snarky remark on ketchup, further cement the notion you're not the brightest bulb in the box :D

Your answer to the fact that you are all alone here (no one agrees with you concerning the superiority of Italian pizza to American pizza) is to misquote and insult. For instance, I never maniacally championed Chicago deep dish pizza. I merely stated that the "best pizza I ever had was in Chicago - deep dish pizza at Gino's Pizzeria East" (unlike you who has endlessly proclaimed, maniacally perhaps, that others with whom you disagree, i.e. everybody in this thread, have never tasted pizzas made in Italy, which also is not true). Have you ever tasted a deep dish pizza made in Chicago? Probably not.

Also, I never 'dissed' Italy's cuisine, just the pizza. This has been pointed out to you before.

Lying about other's posts is trolling per se. However, perhaps in your case it is not intentional. You may be too old, or, maybe you have eaten too much of that ketchup-on-a-cracker referred to as Italian pizza, which has been known to cause lapses in one's memory.

This is because the forum is frequented by a number of Americans, that is why the wheelchair hero (aka Ulysses G) and others peddle half truths in the safety of comfort zone. I think before commenting on other people posts, you should pay attention to what you write, most of your posts here are an attack on Italian pizza, or on other who disagree with you. You know the saying; don't dish it out if you can't take it. Regarding Chicago deep pan pie (not pizza), the recipe, ingredients and dough technique (so to speak) have been posted here, for all to see. Interesting that you haven't commented on it, maybe because eating that cataract inducing abomination makes you partially sighted. I hope you're not driving in Thailand, for your own safety and others.

This is because the forum is frequented by a number of Americans, that is why the wheelchair hero (aka Ulysses G) and others peddle half truths in the safety of comfort zone. I think before commenting on other people posts, you should pay attention to what you write, most of your posts here are an attack on Italian pizza, or on other who disagree with you. You know the saying; don't dish it out if you can't take it. Regarding Chicago deep pan pie (not pizza), the recipe, ingredients and dough technique (so to speak) have been posted here, for all to see. Interesting that you haven't commented on it, maybe because eating that cataract inducing abomination makes you partially sighted. I hope you're not driving in Thailand, for your own safety and others.

The answer to your being all alone in your quest to proclaim Italian ketchup-on-crackers-pizza as superior is not due to there being 'a number of Americans' on this forum. There are posters from all over the world here and we disagree all of the time. But, as you have observed, there is one thing that not only the Americans posting here, but all of the others (excluding you of course) clearly agree upon. Italian ketchup-on-crackers-pizza cannot compare to American pizza. Others, whose posts you chose to ignore, have had the nightmare experience of tasting ketchup-on-crackers Italian pizza (as have I) in Italy. We all agree (except you of course). It sucks! And, as I figured, you have not tasted Chicago deep dish pizza, but you talk about it as if you have. What a joke. Why don't you go troll somewhere else. Insulting UG (who is not in a wheelchair by the way) about his taste in food in your solitary mania about ketchup-on-crackers Italian pizza, has provided a limited amount of amusement. But your time has past and you have become boring.