Red Shirts To Rally At Bangkok Bank's Headquarters Friday

webfact

Sounds more like a travelling circus.

Those words exactly described the entire Red Shirt movement. Let's just hope they get their 500 baht pay worth today. I wonder if Nattawut will hit the Bangkok Bank ATMs first thing in the morning? Oh the ironies of ironies...:)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deputy PM: Red Shirt rally at Bangkok Bank HQ won't affect Thai stock market

BANGKOK: -- (TNA) - Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban on Friday reasserted that the planned rally of anti-government Red Shirt protesters at Bangkok Bank headquarters in Bangkok's Silom Road commercial district will not affect the Thai stock market, as he has already clarified the current political situation to foreign investors and brokers.

The deputy premier made comments hours ahead of the planned rally led by key leaders of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) Friday afternoon.

Thai stock index opened on Friday at 695.79, up 0.13 points.

The UDD leaders earlier announced they would disclose information claiming that Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda unfairly favoured a group of businesspersons investing in a golf resort in the eastern province of Chanthaburi.

Some 550 police officers have been deployed to maintain order, and police and bomb squad units will inspect the rally venue before the protest begins to prevent any untoward incident.

Metropolitan police spokesman Maj-Gen Piya Uthayo earlier warned that protesters violating the law will be arrested.

The Bangkok Bank headquarters however on Friday opened one hour earlier than normal, starting from 7.30am to 3.30pm to facilitate bank clients, while bank employees were advised not to wear their bank uniforms.

Clients were also asked to use other branches' services instead, while the public was advised to avoid Silom Road to avoid traffic congestion during the rally.

The Saint Joseph Convent School which located on Silom Road was also ordered to close Friday for the safety of its students.

The Red Shirts earlier announced rallies against the government throughout the month ahead of February 26, the date which the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions will rule whether or not to seize the Bt76 billion frozen assets of convicted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Following the heating political temperature in the kingdom in which an explosion occurred last weekend near Government House and an explosive device was detected near the Supreme Court, the British Embassy in Bangkok issued a travel warning for its citizens in Thailand.

"As the political situation in Thailand is tense and uncertain, British citizens should exercise great caution throughout Thailand and avoid demonstrations or large gatherings of people that might turn violent," the statement said.

It also advised the British citizens to stay indoors, monitoring the media and the embassy's website if the anti-government protest turns violent.

"There is a high threat from terrorism in Thailand. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. There were a number of bomb explosions in Bangkok in 2007," said the statement.

The Australian Embassy in Bangkok advised its citizens to exercise a high degree of caution, citing "the high threat of terrorist attack and political instability in Thailand."

The warning urged its citizens to closely monitor developments and follow any instructions issued by local authorities as demonstrations can develop quickly and turn violent with little warning.

Thai police on Friday arrested a 35-year-old man identified as Parin Khunkongsatien at the checkpoint in front of the Supreme Court after 30 cartridges and a gun were found hidden in his pickup truck.

Mr Parin claimed that his possession of firearms was for self-protection. He was later brought in for police investigation. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-02-19

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The moment that they decided to expunge a person who was on paper so popular connected and so wealthy, I could see that the whole house of cards was going to come tumbling down. The connection between politics and business in power on ALL sides of the political spectrum makes them ALL open to accusation. He who casts the first stone and all that, but then again we aren't in a Christian society so I wouldn't expect people in Thailand to think it is relevant.

If the political system in the UK is what Thailand is based on, it largely works because everyone knows what their legal role, and position is built up over centuries of precendent. The MP's, the House of Lords, the Privy Council, the Monarchy, the judiciary, civil service and the Armed forces and the police, know what they can and cannot do. It isn't perfect, but people who appear to be out of line or working for their own benefit get caught and dealt with by the law. This is essentially impossible in Thailand if you are powerful enough. Unfortunately, Thaksin's power wasn't enough, so all he has to do is pull the rug back on the conduct of others.

Thailand's system is so convoluted through trying to keep all the major players happy, that parts of the system are obviously politicised and used for gain when they should not be. People want these jobs not to serve the country, but to exercise their power of the system and to have their palms greased whilst they selectively exercise their power.

Let me put it another way - if you have the money anybody can buy popularity, and that's exactly what he did!

Red-shirts Close off Saladaeng-Narathiwas Ratchanakarin Intersection

Red-shirt protesters have begun their gathering at Bangkok Bank's headquarters on Silom Road.

They've closed off the Saladaeng-Narathiwas Ratchanakarin intersection.

Vendors from the normally busy Soi Lalaisap, located next to the Bangkok Bank HQ, have relocated elsewhere in fear of possible chaos breaking out.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-02-19

A newspaper which we should not name is reporting that there are leaflets that read "Silom people do not welcome the red shirts" which were quickly torn by by the red shirts.

My wife told she knows some people who told they would throw out cooking water out of the window if the reds come.....Which is plain stupid.....you need oil not water.....

I just imagine the "Hi-So" Silom road woman is cooking the extra virgin olive oil and put it out of the window on 1000 red shirts......Seems like Darwins Evolution is still taking the most stupid out of the gen pool...

UPDATE

1,000 red-shirts at Bangkok Bank HQ

Over red-shirts members have begun to gather in front of Bangkok Bank head office on Silom road, causing traffic jams at around noon this Friday.

Police put up barricades in front of the bank at Soi Convent to Narathiwat Ratchanakharin intersection to keep out the red-shirts from entering Bangkok bank.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-19

A newspaper which we should not name is reporting that there are leaflets that read "Silom people do not welcome the red shirts" which were quickly torn by by the red shirts.

My wife told she knows some people who told they would throw out cooking water out of the window if the reds come.....Which is plain stupid.....you need oil not water.....

I just imagine the "Hi-So" Silom road woman is cooking the extra virgin olive oil and put it out of the window on 1000 red shirts......Seems like Darwins Evolution is still taking the most stupid out of the gen pool...

I would hardly think the residents of that part of Silom woud fit the "HiSo" category.

Any "HiSo"s would more likely live in the expansive suburbs around Sri Nakarain, Nontaburi etc., in palatial mansions.

More likely your wife is referring to "worker" people in the area, such as noodle vendors, wholesalers, retailers and some office maintenance staff ?

In fact, the sort who Thaksin and the Reds presume to be "theirs"...

I would hardly think the residents of that part of Silom woud fit the "HiSo" category.

Any "HiSo"s would more likely live in the expansive suburbs around Sri Nakarain, Nontaburi etc., in palatial mansions.

More likely your wife is referring to "worker" people in the area, such as noodle vendors, wholesalers, retailers and some office maintenance staff ?

I am not used to Silom, but isn't that the business area with the big banks, embassies, offices??

Or do I confuse some areas??

I am not used to Silom, but isn't that the business area with the big banks, embassies, offices??

Or do I confuse some areas??

You got it in one!

Like in most of the world's major cities, those with the money usually don't live in the Central Business District.

They might live close to it, like many do in Hong Kong. But even there those with the "real" money and power choose places such as the Peak (where they can over look the CBD) or around the back of Hong Kong island. Those with the "real" money and power in Bangkok do likewise and prefer the mcManisons such as those you see in the Thai soaps - hardly dowtown Silom, Sukhumvit these days.

I think you will find that old money has old land and they can be found in all the central areas, the newer money lives in the suburbs (though this is a terrible generalisation, there are indeed tons of large old money compounds in central Bangkok)...though behind high walls, so not much chance of pouring oil from a building! I feel sorry for ALL impartial residents of Bangkok having to face all this crap again.

I think you will find that old money has old land and they can be found in all the central areas, the newer money lives in the suburbs (though this is a terrible generalisation, there are indeed tons of large old money compounds in central Bangkok)...though behind high walls, so not much chance of pouring oil from a building! I feel sorry for ALL impartial residents of Bangkok having to face all this crap again.

Yes, you are correct. I have been to some of these "old money" places and they are adjacent to the central areas and in some cases right in the CBD - behind high walls with discreet entrances. As for pouring "oil from a window", if these people were so inclined, they might be able to do it from a high rise office tower, where once stood a family home or two and they still own the land, but as you say,hardly from their compounds.

Isn't it ironic? The Reds feel like demonstrating and it is raining AGAIN!

Guess I will not have to be a genius to predict what kind of weather we will have tomorrow during the "million" man march.... :)

Soi Lalaisap was asd I recall a turning point in the runup to the coup, and was about the first time that Thaksin was verbally assaulted up close and personal in about late 2005/early 2006 by one of the vendors, and then chanting and yelling at him got so strong he had to retreat, and that was about the last time he actually did any attempts at walking the streets for popularity in Bangkok, and instead went out to Roiet and did that stupid reality show with the fendi dressing gown.

As I recall, at the time, this was the first indication that he had lost the support of the lower classes in Bangkok reflected in the results of both BMA elections and the pre rigged election 2006. He was quite genuinely shocked because he probably thought to that point the yellow shirt movement was the only group against him and that the vendors were still in his corner; in fact much of BKK were not keen on him by that point.

Ironic that he should choose, once again, to screw over any people that oppose him, by directly taking money out of the vendor's pockets with this stupid roadblock and childish idiotic display - why they need to protest in the middle of town....goodness only knows. I bet they have their english signs for the benefit of the foreign (read Singaporean) press to run a nice story; where is Nirmal Ghosh, I am sure he can write a nice biased piece and somehow make it look like 1,000 upcountry folk represent the majority of Thai opinion.

Edited by steveromagnino

Isn't it ironic? The Reds feel like demonstrating and it is raining AGAIN!

Guess I will not have to be a genius to predict what kind of weather we will have tomorrow during the "million" man march.... :)

Soi Lalaisap was the first time that THaksin actually was verbally assaulted in about late 2005/early 2006 by one of the vendors, and then chanting and yelling at him got so strong he had to retreat, and that was about the last time he actually did any attempts at walking the streets for popularity in Bangkok, and instead went out to Roiet and did that stupid reality show with the fendi dressing gown.

As I recall, at the time, this was the first indication that he had lost the support of the lower classes in Bangkok pre rigged election 2006, and he was quite genuinely shocked because he probably thought to that point the yellow shirt movement was the only group against him; in fact much of BKK hated him by that point, of which a minority chose to express it by joining the yellow shirts.

Ironic that he should choose, once again, to screw over people that oppose him, by directly taking money out of the vendor's pockets with this stupid roadblock and childish idiotic display - why they need to protest in the middle of town....goodness only knows.

Perhaps today's folly is a result of trying to control by remote ?

There was quite an interesting article in the Bangkok Post today, indictating that "HE" was making changes to the operations of the PT and Reds. If the item was written from factual information it makes a mockery of the Reds claims, that this is all coincidental. But you don't need a degree in logic to work that out for yourself.

The Reds are well aware of the risks of marching in Silom- yesterday the word on the streets was that the yellows would be on the roofs, pelting stuff down on them.

The word on the street was that the silom people would do that, not the yellows.

The Reds are well aware of the risks of marching in Silom- yesterday the word on the streets was that the yellows would be on the roofs, pelting stuff down on them.

If that does happen, and history repeats itself it will be far more than the "yellows" throwing things down on the Reds.

From the book The Art of War and Peace - "He who hath the high ground is better positioned to win a battle of spits bombs, garbage grenades and feces firecrackers."

If that does happen, and history repeats itself it will be far more than the "yellows" throwing things down on the Reds.

Problem is in this rarefied atmosphere with no doubt hundreds of cameras on show, some stupid office clerk would probably get arrested. It would do well for EVERYONE to stay as calm as possible. If someone throws stuff down on the reds, don't be surprised to see them storm the buildings, and I don't think sleeping Somchai the guard is going to stop them.

Anyway, how would the pooyai women be able to get their boufont hairdos out the windows?

From the book The Art of War and Peace - "He who hath the high ground is better positioned to win a battle of spits bombs, garbage grenades and feces firecrackers."

Faeces firecrackers.

Ah yes, where would we be without a few nice little parcels of faeces.

Add the firecrackers. Hmmmm.

This is a real book or just one that you made up? It sounds awesome.

Problem is in this rarefied atmosphere with no doubt hundreds of cameras on show, some stupid office clerk would probably get arrested. It would do well for EVERYONE to stay as calm as possible. If someone throws stuff down on the reds, don't be surprised to see them storm the buildings, and I don't think sleeping Somchai the guard is going to stop them.

Anyway, how would the pooyai women be able to get their boufont hairdos out the windows?

I agree we should "all stay calm".

As for the pooyai woman, as I said before, I think you'll find they are few and far between down there.

Or do "Ladies who Lunch" (many who could be called "pooyai-ying") now prefer the Silom noodle stalls for lunch, rather than the restaurants of Thong Lor, Paragon and the Emporium? 555

As for the pooyai woman, as I said before, I think you'll find they are few and far between down there.

Or do "Ladies who Lunch" (many who could be called "pooyai-ying") now prefer the Silom noodle stalls for lunch, rather than the restaurants of Thong Lor, Paragon and the Emporium? 555

Used to work for a company in Saladaeng. Had the meanest, largest, bluest hairdos known to man. There is old money in these offices down there. I remember sitting in the traffic on Silom and a chauffeured Merc pulled up in front of BBL and the epitome of late to middle aged money in Thailand was aided out of the car.

Aside from the stiffest brightest blue Thai silk outfit, cut to the knee, black shoes, Dame Edna glasses, plastered face, slight scowl, she had possibly the whitest stumpy legs I have ever seen in my life. I swore for a moment she was see through since I could see every vein on her legs. She looked like a female dracula in fancy dress.

This was the day I vowed that skin whiteness and wealth was not an important factor in selecting a female in Thailand

Used to work for a company in Saladaeng. Had the meanest, largest, bluest hairdos known to man. There is old money in these offices down there. I remember sitting in the traffic on Silom and a chauffeured Merc pulled up in front of BBL and the epitome of late to middle aged money in Thailand was aided out of the car.

Aside from the stiffest brightest blue Thai silk outfit, cut to the knee, black shoes, Dame Edna glasses, plastered face, slight scowl, she had possibly the whitest stumpy legs I have ever seen in my life. I swore for a moment she was see through since I could see every vein on her legs. She looked like a female dracula in fancy dress.

This was the day I vowed that skin whiteness and wealth was not an important factor in selecting a female in Thailand

Hahaha !

Lucky I spend most of my downtown time around the Sukhumvit office districts.

Although nowdays we're in Rama 9 - a virtual desert cut in 2, by a 24/7 traffic jam...

The only "blue rinse" here, is in the dirty klong next to the office !!

As for the traffic today - thanks to the events in Silom, it's more like 48/14 than 24/7 !!! 555