Internet Options Mae Jo

julesdick

I am due to move to Mae Jo in 2 weeks and have been told by the landlady that the house has TT&T telephone but TT&T (3BB) say there are no ADSL lines available

Location : From the city, on the Mae Jo highway 1001, its a soi about 100m before the main traffic lights (the lights where you would turn right onto Sahakon road, also labelled 1001 on my map)

She also called TOT but they said that the main server in this area is at maejo. univ. so it's very slow (Not sure why....). Anyone have experience around this area getting a new connection/ decent speeds/ anything else?

Many thanks

JD

Edited by julesdick

We moved to the same area at the beginning of the month (about 400 m down the road from you). TT&T was terrible and told us the same. We went to the Sansai office at TOT and they were very helpful and one lady spoke excellent English. Apparently TOT has limited service in the area. There is only one package available. After a week of applying, it was working. The speed is not nearly as good as what I had at my former place but it is good enough for skype. My suggestion is to visit the Sansai office yourself. It is located on Doi Saket road (of all places) and is on the right hand side as you are travelling out of the city (between the middle and outer ring roads). It is a small office so you may miss it if you're not looking.

We moved to the same area at the beginning of the month (about 400 m down the road from you). TT&T was terrible and told us the same. We went to the Sansai office at TOT and they were very helpful and one lady spoke excellent English. Apparently TOT has limited service in the area. There is only one package available. After a week of applying, it was working. The speed is not nearly as good as what I had at my former place but it is good enough for skype. My suggestion is to visit the Sansai office yourself. It is located on Doi Saket road (of all places) and is on the right hand side as you are travelling out of the city (between the middle and outer ring roads). It is a small office so you may miss it if you're not looking.

Thanks - great to have it confirmed. I know that TOT office - will pop in and see what they say.

Cheers

JD

Is AIS 3G available there?

think i did use 3g up there once in a restaurant, but might have switched over to Edge - can't remember. But I'd need to be on the 1500/month 30GB to cover my requirements. Would prefer to just have 3G as backup.

Living in Maejoo and AIS 3G is very god reception so you will be ok

Edited by SM7WGP

• 2 weeks later...

Update: moved in now, to Mae Jo. Got AIS 3G connection but running consistently at a 0.37 MB on speedtest.net

The AIS software shows the connection is WCDMA and HSDPA - it flicks between the two every few seconds. The service centre seems to think it should be faster as I'm within the 3G coverage area and have passed the case over to a Chiang Mai engineer who has given a 2 week time period in which to look at the case.

3BB (TT&T) are to capacity on their Mae Jo ADSL lines according to the guy at their office near Carrefour. He says in May they will have new lines.

Still waiting to hear whether TOT can provide an ASDL line

• 2 weeks later...
A antenna outside connected to the modem will give you much better signal strength if that is an option.

Good idea.

Well an AIS man came out to test the connection. Said he might have to ask someone to adjust one of the transmitters at Mae Jo Uni base station. Whether this means that someone else now has a bad connection I don't know but they managed to get the speed upto 1.2Mb by the next day. Then another 2 days later I had a call from AIS again asking if I was satisfied with this. I said it was still too slow and they said they'd look into it further. Lo and behold they called me yesterday to say my 'profile' set up wrong (whatever that is) and when I tried it again last night it was up to 2.3 MB. This morning its 2.6.

A antenna outside connected to the modem will give you much better signal strength if that is an option.

Good idea.

Well an AIS man came out to test the connection. Said he might have to ask someone to adjust one of the transmitters at Mae Jo Uni base station. Whether this means that someone else now has a bad connection I don't know but they managed to get the speed upto 1.2Mb by the next day. Then another 2 days later I had a call from AIS again asking if I was satisfied with this. I said it was still too slow and they said they'd look into it further. Lo and behold they called me yesterday to say my 'profile' set up wrong (whatever that is) and when I tried it again last night it was up to 2.3 MB. This morning its 2.6.

Is your modem set to connect to the 3G network only? It is in the tools menu.

MSPain

Hello, garyh.

Do you know where I could purchase an external antennae? I have been trying to locate one and I have not been successful.

MSPain

AIS 3G only have one tower for this and thats the one outside the office on Tapahe Road.

They do not have any 3g in Maejoo University Thats only for Edge

If you want constant god signal put an outdoor antenna , I have it here point direction City

And also check your Router so it only connect in 3G mode HDSPA

AIS 3G only have one tower for this and thats the one outside the office on Tapahe Road.

If you want constant god signal put an outdoor antenna , I have it here point direction City

That's a rather strange thing to say as I just mentioned above that after they 'changed my profile' I was I managed to get 2.3MB (in Mae Jo) connection which is clearly 3G. The 3G network comes through the AIS mobile telephone network. It is not just transmitted from a single antenna in the city.

Not correct AIS has cell towers in Mae Jo and in Doi Saket 3G is available.

Edited by gotlost

Hey guys listen to what I say.

AIS have only one tower in chiangmai for 3G test this is on experimental stage.

The tower on Maejoo University is only an Edge / Gprs Conection

And of Course if you have the setup you get god speed from the City Because AIS is using 950 Mhz for 3G they have a god coverage of about 30 km, While in Europe 3G is on 2,2GHZ and only gets you 6Km that why you have towers in almost every corner

Arrived home at 1500 and 3bb truck with 3 people were at house telling wife that TOT would no longer provide ADSL internet service in conjunction with telephone service. The were wanting to run additional line, etc. and rewire internet for 3bb broadband. Told them that in paying bill ( triple T @Siam electric) no mention or notification by Triple T to this effect. The service people said notice sent by post (NOT RECEIVED) and their company phoned, but no answer, they showed list of 20 subscribers in our moo ban who were scheduled for change over.

Sent them on their way until I can go in next week and see what is going on. We live in moo ban pet monie, T Paded, which about 12 kilometer out of Chiang Mai Old city along Ping river.

Can anyone confirm this and or what is service like in same area with 3 bb broadband.

Well TIT This is Thailand

I waited that TOT would connect a House phone for 2 Years they never came.

The wires is right outside the window.

So I went for 3G instead at promotion 30 GB for 799 Baht and Im concocted at least 16 hours day and streaming video bu never use that much.