Burglary In My House This Morning 8am While Im Sleeping

0zz1

I'm not sure that a foreigner can even claim self defense. :)

If what I read elsewhere in these forums is true that "a farang that causes any Thai to bleed automatically gets in big trouble with the law" then it would indeed appear that self defense is not available to farangs (?!)...

Edited by greytown

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There is a big difference between being robbed and being burgled, or burglarized. Big difference. :) "

Is this being robbed or being burgled??

I live outside of Korat and about 8 months ago someone unscrewed the kamoy bars on a side window and came into the house and even come into our bedroom and took cash, 3 cell phones and gold out of the headboard while we slept. Did not take my laptop or a top notch digital camera that was on my desk in the living room. Took my wallet but not my credit cards and left it in the car port, broke into and rummaged around my car and stole a small gold Buddha hanging from the mirror . I didn't have a dog but my neighbor's dog slept in the soi between or properties. He had been poisoned 3 days before the break in.

I subsequently got 3 dogs and about a month ago one was poisoned. I then stayed up all night and slept during the day for about a week. Thanks to the fast action of my neighbors the dog survived and is now more aware. Another bag of poisoned meat was thrown into my yard last week and he brought it to me without eating any. Obviously "they" are planning a return visit so I am sleeping the 2PM to 7PM shift again.

Here's what I have to say about this;

1. You never get over this violation. My wife still does not feel safe in her own home and the fact I can't give her that feeling of security back probably pisses me off more than anything.

2. You must figure that a guy that is rooting around in your bedroom at 2AM while you are sleeping in it is armed with more than his gift of gab.

3. People that do this are pretty much the lowest form of life on the planet and deserve no mercy or compassion.

4. If I am ever forced to confront these scum on my property, I will use everything at my disposal and do all in my power to kill the SOB(s) and sort out the local legal implications later.

5. The Thai police will never do anything to prevent this type of crime or apprehend the perpetrators. They finally showed up at my home 4 1/2 hours after they were called. They walked around the house once, told me I could pick up my wallet, asked my wife if we had a gun and why not when she told them no. They didn't even write down what was taken. They just left. There are about 50 cops in the amphur (7kms away) nearest me and that morning is the only time before or since I have ever seen a cop on my road. These guys are useless and just one step above the stabards that broke in.

In this country if you do not look out for yourself you are unlooked out for. Even your neighbors more than likely will not come to your assistance if you call out. Just know, you are on your own and prepare accordingly.

What is the law in Thailand regarding your right to defend yourself and your property from intruders? Is use of deadly force allowed? (especially as applied to farangs being the victim).

I'm in the perimeter protection business.

According to my lawyer, backed up with court verdicts, you may use whatever means necessary to protect your possessions. The key word is possessions. Vacant land does not fall into the same precedent. It is Sunday but I can did out the papers I have if anyone wishes to ask their lawyer the same question.

One may argue that Thai Citizen will get treated differently, but that is the law.

well my insurance dont cover cash, notebooks and mobile phones... So Im paying 1.800 baht / year to Krunsri and apparently they would only cover the desktop computers and displays.

May we suggest for the renewal you contact Thai Visa Brokers as we can offer insurance for notebooks - note, no company will cover mobile phones for obvious reasons. Please go Here for quote.

He hasn"t got a notebook now!,talk about jumping on the bandwagon,and you are wrong insurance can be gained for mobile phones buy quite a few companys actually.

ACE being one.....

To the op sorry about this news.

I think this is good information at least it might prevent other people suffering the same loss without replacement.

^ I concur.

Edited by tango

Is this being robbed or being burgled??

You were burgled. For it to constitute a robbery you must be threatened by someone through force or fear. Getting knocked off your motorbike and having your then taken from you is a popular way to get robbed here. Someone pointing a gun at you and demanding money is also a robbery. They don't need to necessarily use force, only threaten it. I wish I didn't know the difference because every time I hear, "I was robbed." I'm like...shit really?! Just to learn it was another burglary. Not that burglaries aren't scary and traumatic too.

I feel security should be the major consideration when deciding where to live in Thailand. I think I got really lucky finding the place I rent. I picked it for one main reason, the security, but it happened that the price was right, it was quiet, furnished, w/aircon, 2 bedroooms, with a beautiful jungle view as well. The only thing that could back it better would be a sea view. (Which I could have but it would require leveling a lot of jungle.)

The 4 houses on the 1 rai are elevated so to get to any window you need a ladder. The windows are proper sliding/locking windows. The front door is sliding glass but just inside is an sturdy swinging security gate. There are no Thai's living in the 4 houses owned by my landlord, and thus no reason for there to ever be any Thai's on the property, which is surrounded by a low concrete wall topped with lighting that, while low enough to jump over, serves to nicely delineate between this property and the surrounding properties.

Two sides of the property are bordered by impassable dense and steep jungle terrain, so there is no reason for any people to have a reason to be "passing through." The only way to get easily into the property without trekking through the jungle and climbing the wall is a single steep narrow driveway which is overlooked by all the houses, and the entire property is covered by additional motion detecting flood lights and by 5 24hr recording CCTV cameras which the landlord often watches as his house nearby, and which all of us renting houses can view online, which is pretty cool. I know he watches the cams because one night he saw a couple people he didn't recognize and popped over to check it out. They were legit, but it was a nice feeling to know he was watching. I've always felt that if I get burgled, they will come through the roof, that or the front bedroom window since the stairs almost reach it.

I feel it's so so safe here that I don't even lock my new mountain bike up downstairs, and often leave my car unlocked. Bad idea I know.

6824_154007705838_523460838_2582942.jpg

6824_154007695838_523460838_2582941.jpg

I just hope we don't have a large earthquake here or if I'm home I'll be a goner for sure.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Anyone who breaks into an occupied house deserves to be shot on sight. If the occupant wakes up and catches them, there is a very good chance that someone will be hurt.

Absolutely. As far as I'm concerned the perpetrator loses all his rights once he crosses that line.

Thinking about checking out that gun shop mentioned off Chiangmoi rd.  Hopefully wont get there to find a queue of foreigners with their Thai wives extending all the way up to the moat  :D

Well, you won't see me there because like I said earlier, I got the home security aspect sorted from those guys last year :)

P2210240Medium.jpg

When I (sorry, the wife) bought it, we asked if we had to keep it in a gun cabinet or somewhere secure and the answer was "no, up to you". So, it's to hand in the main bedroom, with 2 in the mag and a quick rack of the action and we're good to go.

UG et all, agree, if some lowlife scumbag is on my property and threatening the safety of my family, I'll shoot first (then pass the gun to my wife :D) and ask questions later....

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

I have been ripped off, bigtime, in the US.

Happily it was just a storage space. But 10's of thousands of dollars of loss.

This is a problematic issue to some, particularly those who have never suffered from a serious crime, such as a home intrusion (while home) or a grievous financial loss, or a more serious thing such as rape or attack.

Personally, and I say this without any chest-thumping macho opinion....

Maybe 80% of people have never suffered anything, so they have the blinders on.

Another 10% have had something happen, but have faith in the "authorities" to protect them, and resolve all issues.

The last 10% have decided (who may have suffered in the past) that the only true resolution of this issue is to protect your home, family and loved ones at all costs.

I count myself among the later 10%.

Just my 25 satang. :)

I "experienced" 3 burglaries in 3 years in a sh*tty area of London. Luckily it was when I was younger and in rented property that I shared with mates. We were p*ssed off losing a video, leather jackets e.t.c and no big deal but now, as a family man with much more at stake, I have (IMO) taken appropriate precautions - God forbid I'll ever have to call on them.....

Cheers,

Pikey.

We got robbed 1 year ago, then we saw on the TV where the Chonbury Police caught a break and enter gang. They showed a heap of stolen property on the TV as well that was removed from the gangs house, a lot of it was ours. We went to the Police Stn to claim our gear back that had been reported and which we had a Police report for. The officer said check out the back room which we did and found nothing but dust and cobwebs, none of our stuff there. We asked where the stolen property was that they showed on TV, he said it had all been claimed? What a joke, blind freddie could see it was my gear but it was claimed. Case closed. Who got the cash. :)

Anyone who breaks into an occupied house deserves to be shot on sight. If the occupant wakes up and catches them, there is a very good chance that someone will be hurt.

Absolutely. As far as I'm concerned the perpetrator loses all his rights once he crosses that line.

Law enforcement agencies in the US say that if anyone gets shot with your gun, odds are 3 - 1 it will be you or a member of your family.

But what do they know.

You guys are starting to scare me. I travel so much, I don't see how I could have a dog. I'm thinking of beefing up the fence though. Anyone have any good fence pictures of their home?

Have a search in the diy housing subforum, there was a thread discussing electrifried fences .

break-in news!

Another burglary last night... this time only front yard and I lost my mountain bike. Cant even remember the brand but its red-black color, with shimano gears and front suspension, extremely uncomfortable seat.

What really pisses me off I had this bike for about 1.5 years and almost never used it, but started to run with it to work couple weeks back and now its gone.

Im so furious now that please avoid my house during the night-time and tress-passer will find himself in pain.

What about the 40 year old guy and a girl who did it last time.  I suppose this time is different team?

break-in news!

Another burglary last night... this time only front yard and I lost my mountain bike. Cant even remember the brand but its red-black color, with shimano gears and front suspension, extremely uncomfortable seat.

What really pisses me off I had this bike for about 1.5 years and almost never used it, but started to run with it to work couple weeks back and now its gone.

Im so furious now that please avoid my house during the night-time and tress-passer will find himself in pain.

I was robbed 3 times in 6 months in the UK by the same smack head, when I finally got him on his fourth go at my house the police arrested me for attempted ABH ( it wasn't an attemp, I did it). I went to court and got 2 years bound over and 20 hours community service, he got away scott free. So in Thailand I don't take any chances around my family. Here's a picture of some of my family with my dog. He's great for letting us know if anyone is around. Sorry to the OP being burgled is a terrible experience and one I hope I never have to go through again.

post-35045-1267150043_thumb.jpg

break-in news!

is the Swiss watch still available? and thanks for posting your address on the internet stating good times to "visit!"

A Floodlight like in the picture is available at most lighting store including the one near Makro

A DIY typical sensor with alarm will cost around 500 baht but will pick up any thing including pets. Available at homepro and Powerbuy.

To avoid too many false alarm get one of those with "no animal detection feature".

Serious alarm system with sensor will be pretty costly but worth it. Unfortunately they don't have any agent in Chiangmai.

http://www.maxwell.co.th/eng/rokonet.php

http://www.vanguard.in.th/

post-50475-1267155104.jpeg

• 5 months later...

just a small update on this.

I have moved to new house... This house is rather easy target as its on quiet soi... one level house with a lot of windows to brake in.

But now I have 72 years old grandma who never leaves the house and seems to me that never sleeps living with me.... and over sized Rotweiler sleeping in the front garden, hope that will help.

44326_451787435571_656045571_6403396_7478852_n.jpg

Edited by 0zz1

Many CCTV systems for sale at Computer Plaza, three or four stalls, plus Amorn Electrics. Im at a loss. I should think a 24/7 system with night vision and more importantly clear, distinct facial-recognition at a distance. Any advice: what is best and at best price, etc? Cheers.

Well fortunately you were insured !

Sorry to read this bad news, but glad no one was hurt or worse. I keep hearing about an increase in burglaries and break-ins but how serious is it in Chiang Mai.? Is it becoming more common? Are there any figures published (probably not) or source of crime stats for the province.?

This is a wake up call anyway and rams home just how desperate some people are for money and goods.