How Would You Like To See Pattaya Look In The Future?

maipenrai2010

* Street dogs. GONE!

Oh I don't know. On average I think the Soi dogs raise the general tone of the place.

75% of all foreigners gone would be a good start.

75% if all concrete coffins collapsed and removed........replaced by parks

But it is too late.........people pollution and greed are here to stay.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.........the Good Old Days.........never to return (but maybe in Cambodia or Vietnam in the future)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* Street dogs. GONE!

Oh I don't know. On average I think the Soi dogs raise the general tone of the place.

Yes, I actually prefer the dogs to the people in most cases! :)

post-26779-1267426532_thumb.jpg

Great picture of Pattaya beach......sorry I messed it up with the double post.........my browser decided to go nuts on me.

The picture reminds me of Sihanoukville a few years ago.......bit more developed now.

Something that actually could be done quite easily and would transform the town:

Make the entire length of beach road a walking street except for early in the morning to allow deliveries.

Leave #2 road one way as it is, and make #3 road one way in the opposite direction.

Something that actually could be done quite easily and would transform the town:

Make the entire length of beach road a walking street except for early in the morning to allow deliveries.

Leave #2 road one way as it is, and make #3 road one way in the opposite direction.

Surely you're kidding? It's enough of a walk between Beach and 2nd, and between 2nd and 3rd would be ridiculous, or are you proposing that if you want to go somewhere the opposite direction to travel you have to go all the way around the one way system?

I'd agree to Beach Rd being closed after 6pm, ( how nice would that be with outdoor cafe's? ), and 2nd road converted to two way all the time ( there's enough space to have two lanes each way already ).

Lets ban all those big tour buses from Beach Rd NOW!

Get rid of all the "family" tourists.

More bars and girls.

Make freelancing along Beach Rd legal.

Extend Walking St to Central Rd

Convert Central Festival and Avenues to up market bar complexes.

More Russian women along Walking St.

More cheap hotels.

Direct airline ( regular, not charter ) flights to Pattaya, or a high speed railway from SB.

Seriously, city police who really do their jobs and enforce the traffic rules (instead of picking on the poor Thai motorcyclist for their "tea money". A city that can really enforce their building codes and city planning. And a zoned city with certain areas for the bars and bar girls and an area that is ZONE ZERO for touts, commercial ladies/boys, tailors, and vendors. ...(and soi dogs).

I do like Thailand and where I live. Here are just some things that I personally think would be nice to see in future, whether possibly or not.

A park, like you see dotted all around Bangkok and other cities. Location adjacent to Beach road would be great. I've always thought a sizeable park within the city is something that is missing from Pattaya and there does appear to be waste ground that could be fit for purpose between Beach Road and Second Road.

Transport & vehicle pollution – either rekindle the monorail idea that was talked about some time ago, or an alternative being replace the 'pick-up truck Baht taxis' with electric powered vehicles, maybe something in between the current Baht taxi size and a golf buggy type vehicle for cleaner air. Could also introduce a large car park on the outskirts of the city to reduce the traffic in the main city area.

At road junctions with existing traffic lights, make traffic lights for all directions have a pause/stop time of 30 seconds with a red light in each cycle, allowing a pedestrian crossing for people to cross the road more safely, instead of the current situation of negotiating the best time to cross in between (or sometimes in front of) moving traffic.

It would be nicer on the eyes (and possibly safer too) if those numerous electric and telephone cables on poles at road side were rerouted underground out of sight. At least for the six major roads in Pattaya.

More litter bins dotted around the city. Seems such an obvious thing to have, yet are very hard to find in Pattaya when walking around holding onto rubbish.

Computer kiosks with tourist information in various languages at main road junctions within the tourist areas of Pattaya.

Shuttle rail link running from Pattaya to the link at the Suwannabhumi Airport to increase people traffic. Of course would have stations in between.

Replacement of the existing over head bridge like sign / display on North Road from one side of the road (at City Hall) to the other side of the road (at Tesco Lotus) with an actual pedestrian bridge. Many people cross this at this location.

seems there are two different views, an upmarket family orientated resort or the cheep, sleazy, dirty, dump that it is today.

My answer would be simple, leave Pattaya as it is today, then drastically reduce building in Jomtien and only allow upmarket Shopping Malls, 5 star Hotels and high class Condo projects.

seems there are two different views, an upmarket family orientated resort or the cheep, sleazy, dirty, dump that it is today.

My answer would be simple, leave Pattaya as it is today, then drastically reduce building in Jomtien and only allow upmarket Shopping Malls, 5 star Hotels and high class Condo projects.

Way too simplistic. I actually feel the majority view is that Pattaya is big enough to accommodate many kinds of tourists and residents. There is probably also a consensus for improving the infrastructure and cleaning up the ugliest eyesores.

Way too simplistic. I actually feel the majority view is that Pattaya is big enough to accommodate many kinds of tourists and residents. There is probably also a consensus for improving the infrastructure and cleaning up the ugliest eyesores.

Not so. As the infrastructure is "improved" in Pattaya the pressure goes on the authorities to remove the bar scene, as it puts off potential family tourists, which is where the money is for the big resorts.

Basil is right, Jomptien should be where the upmarket stuff is built, and Pattaya should be left to us mongers.

While I dislike the eyesores and other problems in Pattaya, I'd rather have them than another Hua Hin sh-t hole.