Building Costs

Is there an 'average' cost per square metre for building a one story house with concrete walls?

I appreciate this may be a bit of an ambiguous question and more detail may be required but I was thinking along the lines of a house on land already owned and levelled, but with no concrete base etc., with mains electric and water already on site to a nearby residence.

It would be preferable to have a small residence that can be added to later possibly with an upper floor (if that makes any difference to the base structure).

As you can guess, I am new to this building lark :)

I am starting to build on Sunday - here outside Chiang Mai. Have chosen a builder and buy materials ourselves. I have seen houses he built before and was satisfied with his work.

This is our second house and we have learned a lot from our first building.

Forget the companies who promise you "European building standards" - at the end they all built the same way only difference is what materials you choose.

The builder charges me 1500 Baht per sm2 for "walled" parts and 1000 Baht per sm2 for parts without wall meaning porch or balcony, veranda - this price also includes any interior / exterior woodwork whatever we want. but it does not include electric work - although they will prepare for the electric work pipes in walls, outlets e.g.

Found a guy who is easy to talk to and seems to know what he is doing - also suggests where we can save money and where we shouild go for quality items.

I have calculated approx. 700 K - 1 million savings on my building compared to the prices I got from 4 different building companies / architects.

Decent house (not land) is about 10K/m2 with fitted kitchen and air con extra. That's what I paid in Hua Hin.

You can pay much more but unless you are on site or the builder has a stellar reputation price doesn't guarantee quality.

Edited by johnnyk

Hi, hope the best to u when building. I am also in the process of doing my 4th house renovation. Complete from tare down to rebuild. My wife lived with me in Canada for a long time and from our first two houses she learned alot. MAKE A CONTRACT. and the he@@ with friends of friends, I go profesional all the way when building in thailand now use contractors as an example from TOA paint, and other areas. Watch things dont gety stolen from u when things are under construction.

will tell u more later have to go to work need anything for info just ask...

I would certainly, positively and with out a doubt go to coolthaihouse.com before building a house in Thailand, it is a forum dedicated to ex pats building in Thailand, There you will find building stories with pictures from people building in Thailand, step by step instructions, costs, techniques and lots of advise, on all subjects having to do with building in Thailand.

PS I have no association what so ever with coolthaihouse.com

Good luck :)