Exact Age For Retirement

Today is my 50th birthday, so I made the trek to immigration with all of my paperwork in order to began the process of retirement. Things were going fast and smooth, and I had even paid all of the fees and was just getting my receipt when suddenly the show stopped. An officer had noted that I could not apply for an extension and visa change for retirement until I was over 50 years old, so they gave me my money back, tore up the receipt, and told me to come back tomorrow (or Monday, as the office is closed at the weekend). They explained that as today was my birthday I was not yet over 50, but that I will indeed be over 50 and a valid applicant at the morrow.

As this all seems strange, I am now concerned about wasting another trip on Monday only to be turned away again. This policy about being over 50 contradicts the english translation of the Thai Immigration Visa Requirements, which state the age for retirement as "50 or over".

Before I embark on another trip all the way back to the immigration office, I need some guidance and direction on whether this might just be a tactic to prompt me to grease the application form - or is it indeed a real policy.

Anyone had or know of a similar experience?

It is very unusual to apply on your exact birthday. I have never read such a report before; yours is the first report I am aware of. You have nothing to worry about. The officer told you to come back after your birthday. I would take that literally. Happy retirement.

It is very unusual to apply on your exact birthday. I have never read such a report before; yours is the first report I am aware of. You have nothing to worry about. The officer told you to come back after your birthday. I would take that literally. Happy retirement.

Thanks for the good wishes, Jingthing! I should have explained that the reason I needed to apply on my birthday was because my two 5 year driving licenses expire today and I am currently in-country on a tourist visa. As I can not renew my licenses without a non-O or a non-B, my plan was to get the non-O from immigration in the morning and then make my way to the license bureau and get my renewals before the end of the day. As it stands, I will have to drive carefully and avoid checkpoints thsi weekend until I can hopefully have it sorted on Monday.

Thanks for the good wishes, Jingthing! I should have explained that the reason I needed to apply on my birthday was because my two 5 year driving licenses expire today and I am currently in-country on a tourist visa. As I can not renew my licenses without a non-O or a non-B, my plan was to get the non-O from immigration in the morning and then make my way to the license bureau and get my renewals before the end of the day. As it stands, I will have to drive carefully and avoid checkpoints thsi weekend until I can hopefully have it sorted on Monday.

Had you tried to renew your license you would have gotten another shock. Your license MUST be expired before you can get it renewed. :)

If it was 10am in the morning, you should have told the guy you were born at 7am, so already 50. :)

Chinese Thais are very hot on the actual time.............

Just go back on Monday and you will be fine.

Had you tried to renew your license you would have gotten another shock. Your license MUST be expired before you can get it renewed. :)

Uh, no, not correct. That is only true for the initial one-year licenses. Five-year licenses can (and should) be renewed well in advance.

Uh, no, not correct. That is only true for the initial one-year licenses. Five-year licenses can (and should) be renewed well in advance.

You may be right. What I know for sure is that when I applied for my five year license, I was told to come back after my one year license was expired.

You may be right. What I know for sure is that when I applied for my five year license, I was told to come back after my one year license was expired.

The law is that a license must be at least one year old before renewing. So, the one year license must have expired while a 5 year, which the OP states he has, can be renewed up to 90 days before expiration.

Went back today (Monday) and all went well. Got the retirement stamp which is good for 15 months, and then went to the DLT and got my 2 five year licenses renewed until 2016 (5 years and 363 days as I applied 2 days after the previous five year had expired).

Only slight confusion that I now have is that the retirement stamp says that notification of residence must be made every 90 days, but the stamp that they put on the back of my TM departure card states that I must return to notify my address on 23 April 2010, which is only 60 days. As this is my first ever retirement stamp I don't know when I should return to check in, 60 day or 90 days?

....and then went to the DLT and got my 2 five year licenses renewed until 2016 (5 years and 363 days as I applied 2 days after the previous five year had expired).

When you transition from the 1-year license to the 5-year license, the expiration date is set to the next birthday beyond the 5 years. In your case, that got you almost 6 years.

I believe you have converted from a tourist visa entry (about 30 days?) and obtained a non immigrant visa entry (90 days) and now a one year extension of that for 15 months in one go.

So you will have been in Thailand 90 days before your extension of stay begins. Expect that explains the 23 April date for 90 day reporting and that you should make first report on that date.

I believe you have converted from a tourist visa entry (about 30 days?) and obtained a non immigrant visa entry (90 days) and now a one year extension of that for 15 months in one go.

So you will have been in Thailand 90 days before your extension of stay begins. Expect that explains the 23 April date for 90 day reporting and that you should make first report on that date.

Yes, now It makes sense as I entered the country on a 60 day tourist visa on 24 January. The 23 April date would be 90 days since I entered. Thanks, Lopburi3!