Car Insurance To Vientiane

RubbaJohnny

i see many Thai registered cars in Lao

Whats the procedure is it worth the hassle /cost for a few days or better park Nong Kai and pblic transport train/plane or boat to Luang Prabang?

Whats the deal if lao driver hits us,or caaar damaged stolen etc like here ?

Thank you in advance for any ideas?

For me, I go up to Vientiane, and beyond, 2-4 times a year and each time leave my car in the secure parking area on the Thai side of the bridge, where the vans depart from, baht 100 per day, and well worth it.

My Thai insurance broker said no coverage for Laos from her, didn't ask about paying an extra premium for such, tho.

Did go over once with a Thai friend and his car, he bought liability insurance, mandatory, on the Thai side, not expensive as I remember.

Having an accident in Laos with my car? I'd not want to chance it, especially if headed up country, eg, to Luang Prabang. The road is pretty good but there are some crazy drivers on it, and there's the buses and 10 to 18 to 22 wheeled trucks. Note, the entire road is two lane, with a whole lot of curves!

Boat to LP, forget it, way to slow. Take a van from Vientiane or Vang Vieng. Bus available too, but takes longer. Same for the road and trip to Xieng Khouang and the PDJ. FYI, I was just up there last month, the PDJ and LP.

Mac

Hi RJ

Basic mandatory insurance is available at the insurance office about 20 metres on the right after clearing Laos immigration.

At about 250 baht for 4-5 days cover ~~~ you get what you pay for. Never had cause to put it to the test!

TBWG :)

Hi RJ

Basic mandatory insurance is available at the insurance office about 20 metres on the right after clearing Laos immigration.

At about 250 baht for 4-5 days cover ~~~ you get what you pay for. Never had cause to put it to the test!

TBWG :)

Thank you, I needed that!

At least it's effective if we commit a mistake and crash someone, won't have to be responsible for that. Our car, we can repair when we back to Thailand

Mmmmm and what happens if it cannot be driven ..........

Go back to Thailand on a bus and look for a new car. :)