New Book On Learning To Read Thai

bankei

Someone obviously went to a LOT of time and trouble to make this resource, especially as it's free.

I wholeheartedly concur; thanx for posting the link !!!

(Maybe the mods can change the title to "New FREE E-Book on Learning to Read Thai" to better reflect it is free and online)

Fantastic find! I'm still working on Thomas Gething's reader and Vol II by Professor Bickner will be a great follow-on. Now.......if only the readings were recorded!!!!!

While Gething's reader is dated, his lessons follow a nice pattern of introducing new vocabulary/patterns, then repeating them in follow-on lessons. While I haven't had the opportunity to see if Bickner does the same, I'll take a guess that he does....as that seems to be the pattern of teaching in the US.

Thanks for the link!!

• 1 month later...
The link used to work without specifying index.html, I think. They must have hamfistedly tweaked something.

In any case, I just updated the link in the original post to avoid further confusion.

I think the reason the link no longer works without the actual name of the index file is that they've made it so that you can't search the site index, and hence you can't use a website download programme (e.g. httrack) to download the whole site to your hard drive - I know it doesn't work; I tried (just to test the theory of course..)! I guess many people would do this for fear of such a great bunch of PDF files disappearing from the web were the site to close down.

The site total is about 160mb if you download all of the PDFs (which you are perfectly at liberty to do so long as you do them individually now!) and I guess people downloading the whole site was giving them massive traffic that they didn't want or couldn't sustain on their server...

The link used to work without specifying index.html, I think. They must have hamfistedly tweaked something.

In any case, I just updated the link in the original post to avoid further confusion.

I think the reason the link no longer works without the actual name of the index file is that they've made it so that you can't search the site index, and hence you can't use a website download programme (e.g. httrack) to download the whole site to your hard drive - I know it doesn't work; I tried (just to test the theory of course..)! I guess many people would do this for fear of such a great bunch of PDF files disappearing from the web were the site to close down.

The site total is about 160mb if you download all of the PDFs (which you are perfectly at liberty to do so long as you do them individually now!) and I guess people downloading the whole site was giving them massive traffic that they didn't want or couldn't sustain on their server...

Now if someone could come up with mp3 files that go along with the pdf files (as in Thomas Gethings Intermediate Reader series), the result would be one heck of a learning aid!

Looks great. now if only it weren't in PDF format....

I can think of two issues concerning you:

-it's slow to load because it's PDF

-you can't 'extract' the Thai and paste it somewhere else

Fear not, simply download 'Foxit reader' for free. It is way faster than PDF (the files open instantly) and it allows text extraction.

Fantastic find! I'm still working on Thomas Gething's reader and Vol II by Professor Bickner will be a great follow-on. Now.......if only the readings were recorded!!!!!

While Gething's reader is dated, his lessons follow a nice pattern of introducing new vocabulary/patterns, then repeating them in follow-on lessons. While I haven't had the opportunity to see if Bickner does the same, I'll take a guess that he does....as that seems to be the pattern of teaching in the US.

Thanks for the link!!

No. It specifically rejects this style of learning. Please see the lengthy explanation of modern learning methods here:

http://readingthai.wisc.edu/thai-reader-site-intro.html

The text is intended to develop text interpretation skills and not to increase vocabulary.

Everybody always falls in love with his/her "pet theory" especially if formulated by him/her. Learning-methods is a "tough subject" - much "controversy and ignorance" persists. I tend believe more those who evaluate a theory on this subject - not their own - and have at least a Phd in Neuroscience and Neurobiology incl. Psychology.

In other words the best method for you is "to study the Language" rather than the controversy around "the best methods".

Edited by Parvis