Where To Give Birth ?

In the next few days my girlfriend and I will find out if she is prenant or not and I am wondering if anyone out there can give us some (constructive) advise.If she is pregnant where would be the best place for her to give birth? She is a Thai national,and I am form the uk.WOuld it be best to go to the uk (visa permitting)and then the child would have uk passport?

We intend to get married,but to be honest after looking around this forum for the last few days am a bit confused about the best way/place to get married.but that is a matter for future posting.

So if anyone has any advise for me and the girlfriend,I would be greatful.

best wishes Robinson

Your child will be a British citizen and so entitled to a British passport and all the other rights of a British citizen no matter where it is born.

See How to register a birth from the British embassy.

I think, but am not 100% sure, that your child will also be Thai regardless of where it is born, but this may apply only if you and the mother are married. Hopefully someone will be able to clarify.

See also Guidance for British nationals wishing to marry in Thailand.

:D

Where to have your baby born?

The actor David Niven was born in Alexandria, Egypt. When asked by a reporter why he happened to be born in Egypt, he replied, "I'm not sure exactly. However, my mother was there at the time, and we both thought it would be best for us to be together at the birth. Over those first nine months we had grown quite attached to each other"

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one.

If the father is from the U.K and the mother is Thai, the child should have dual citizenship. If born in Thailand, the father should register the child with the U.K. embessy to have it recognised. If born in the U.K. the child has to be recognised by the Thai embessy as a Thai citizen.

Either way, it's your choice where you want it to be born. A lot of Thai women feel more comfortable having the baby close to their mother, which usually means in Thailand.

:)

British nationality will also be no problem, if you legitimise the child.

With respect, Mario, for children born on or after 1st July 2006 it is no longer necessary for British fathers to legitimise their children in order to pass on their British nationality. Like the children of a marriage, they are automatically British.

Unmarried fathers of children born before 1st July 2006 may be able to 'legitimise' their children and so pass on their nationality by marrying the mother. Alternatively they can make an application on the child's behalf to the Home Office. See the link I posted earlier.

good place of birth would seem to be the usa, then the child could have tripple (us, uk and thai) passports, maximum options to choose from, when it is bigger, plus it could sponsor the parents immigration to the usa when it has reached age of majority.

good place of birth would seem to be the usa, then the child could have tripple (us, uk and thai) passports, maximum options to choose from, when it is bigger, plus it could sponsor the parents immigration to the usa when it has reached age of majority.

Great idea, good luck to get a visa for a pregnant Thai national, near impossible

Isn't it the case though that a child born to a British father in Thailand will be a 'British citizen by descent'. As I understand it, this would mean that the child would not automatically transmit British citizenship to his/her own offspring born overseas, as would have been the case had that parent been born in the UK. So in layman's terms if your child is likely to live in Thailand in adult life, may have a Thai wife, and you would like your grandchild to be certain of (dual) British citizenship, there may be some advantage in a UK birth. Or have I got this wrong?

Edited by citizen33

It used to be.

1. A child born of Thai/eng over here yes they get duel nationality

2. If/when they have a child if it's born in thailand then they will only get Thai nationality

3. If there child is born in the uk then duel again.

4. If your child is born in uk, then there child will get duel nationalty, so there child where ever it's born will have duel.

Hope this make's sense. Well that's what it was a few year's ago and I dont think thing's have changed.

The best thing all round is have your child born in England. Yes I know not easy visa's ect. Best of luck have a happy life.

Citizen33, as British nationality law stands at present, you have it right.

Fredob43, if I understand your list correctly; then yes.

People who are British by descent cannot automatically pass their British citizenship onto their children if those children are born outside the UK.

Someone who is British otherwise than by descent passes their British nationality onto their children, no matter where they are born. It used to be the case that children born outside the UK with British fathers who were not married to the child's non-British mother were not automatically British, but that was changed in July 2006; see my post above.

N.B.

By Descent:

British citizenship gained through your parents. This type of citizenship cannot normally be passed on to your own children.

Being born outside the UK with a British parent (or parents) normally means one is British by descent.

Otherwise than by descent:

British citizenship gained in your own right (not by descent through your parents or grandparents). This type of citizenship can be passed on to your own children.

Being born in the UK when one parent is British or living in the UK legally means that one is British otherwise than by descent.

See Who already has British citizenship?

When the baby's born, if your not married by then, Good idear to give the bady your surname, on the birth certificate as it's no problem to do, if you do marry later save's bundle's of paper work. Even if you dont marry, still a good idea. It's what Ive done. And it's saved me load's of agro:

Great idea, good luck to get a visa for a pregnant Thai national, near impossible

Since the op stated that they are about to find out about the pregnancy, it appears to be the early stage and not visible. She doesn't have to declare it.

There is indeed something called "birth tourism" and Bastians post is a very valid option to be considered.

Not only the USA, but other countries give citizenship to babies born in their country, it is called Jus soli.

Canada would also seem attractive.

I would like to emphasize one single most important factor for the decision where to give birth should be

wherever the pregnant woman wants , wherever she feels she wants to be, be it at home in her own bedroom perhaps with a homebirth midwife, be it in a hospital if she has faith in the medical system, be it in her home town close to friends and family, you should respect her wish and help her to be where she prefers.

The list of countries:

Antigua and Barbuda

Argentina

Azerbaijan

Barbados

Belize

Bolivia

Brazil

Canada

Colombia

Dominica

Dominican Republic

Ecuador

El Salvador

Fiji

Grenada

Guatemala

Guyana

Honduras

Jamaica

Lesotho

Mexico

Nicaragua

Pakistan

Panama

Paraguay

Peru

Romania

Saint Christopher and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Trinidad and Tobago

Uruguay

Venezuela

as per http://www.numbersusa.com/content/learn/is...itizenship.html

depends on where you was born, my son was born in thailand and holds British citizenship but if he has a child with a non uk citizen, his child is not entitled to British citizenship because he was not born in the uk . it can be expensive here, but when you take into account the cost of flying back not much innit.

Edited by patong

Your child will be a British citizen and so entitled to a British passport and all the other rights of a British citizen no matter where it is born.

I think, but am not 100% sure, that your child will also be Thai regardless of where it is born, but this may apply only if you and the mother are married. Hopefully someone will be able to clarify.

Best wishes for your future family life.

The above may be right as far as GB is concerned. They have laws there.

However, speaking of Thai laws I'm not 100% sure. Their laws are full of holes like Swiss cheese. And their interpretation of their own laws is subject to the latest crackdown.

Quite simply, ask your g/f what does she want for her child to be. Thai girls are very practical and not prone to illusions. Good luck. :)

Edited by 7by7
Certain remarks removed to prevent arguments.

Best wishes for your future family life.

The above may be right as far as GB is concerned. They have laws there.

However, speaking of Thai laws I'm not 100% sure. Their laws are full of holes like Swiss cheese. And their interpretation of their own laws is subject to the latest crackdown.

Quite simply, ask your g/f what does she want for her child to be. Thai girls are very practical and not prone to illusions. Good luck. :)

Clear that you don't know what you are talking about and have never read Thai nationality legislation.....

Thai citizenship law is very clear. A child of a thai national is also a Thai national regardless of where that child is born. No interpretation on this point is requried.