Asked For Cc At Check In?

thai3

I booked a flight to UK next week with Ethihad online with my credit card, now I have lost the card. I am pretty sure I read that passengers who book with a credit card may be asked to produce it at the checkin desk. Don't remember being asked to produce it myself, but just my luck they would now I do not have it. Do they ask for it to be produced? no time for the replacement to arrive before leaving.

Normally you have to produce it at check in. get new one ASAP and contact the airline.

Agree with Mario about contacting the airline quickly. The airline may request some documentation which may take a few days to acquire. So some further detail to consider could be:

- Do you have a copy of the police report about the card being stolen? Some banks, not all, will not replace credit cards without a police report.

- If it's impossible to get a replacement card in time, and remembering that the new card will have a different number, do you have a document (quoting the number of the lost card) and showing that the bank have received your request for a replacement and also indicating that replacement is in process. This may perhaps help.

Etihad may be different from the airlines I have used whose e-tickets all said the same thing (Thai. Air Asia and Jet) but all I had to show was my passport, the nature of an e-ticket is that the ticketing information is in the computer system at the check in desk, all they need to do is verify that you are that person, usually they use your passport to do that. The credit card thing is like a second level ID check but, as I say, I have never been asked for it.

Sod's law though...if you haven't got it they'll ask!

I reckon the credit card statement is a good idea.

Hope it goes ok for you.

Sometimes they will check sometimes not, i had a ticket bought for me by the wife on her cc.. ended up having to have her fax over permession ect for me to check in with out her cc being present, as she wasnt traveling w me, its pretty easy to do just give them a call its something they deal with pretty frequently :)

If your passport at check-in bears the same name as the person who booked, you may be OK.

There is a lot of fraud associated with airline bookings but they only really pick up on the card name and the guy who checks in.

Dont worry too much about it, and if in doubt, give the airline a call, I'm sure this happens all the time.

This happened to me just about a year ago. I bought a ticket with my credit card (in the States), then lost the card, got a new one with a different set of numbers. This happened to be Thai Airways. I called. They said no problem...as long as I have "a" credit card to check in. But as someone else said, check with your airlines to be sure.

I've only lost credit cards twice in my life. One lost while traveling was replaced in less than 24 hours, only requiring me to report to a specific bank with my passport. The other replaced in 3-5 days by mail, but had it been an emergency they would have made similar arrangement as with the other cc.

Oh, the reason the credit card is checked is that it is one way the airlines can determine that you are you. And despite what some people have said, I have had my cc checked for flights more than half the time.

Edited by phetaroi

This happened to me just about a year ago. I bought a ticket with my credit card (in the States), then lost the card, got a new one with a different set of numbers. This happened to be Thai Airways. I called. They said no problem...as long as I have "a" credit card to check in. But as someone else said, check with your airlines to be sure.

I've only lost credit cards twice in my life. One lost while traveling was replaced in less than 24 hours, only requiring me to report to a specific bank with my passport. The other replaced in 3-5 days by mail, but had it been an emergency they would have made similar arrangement as with the other cc.

Oh, the reason the credit card is checked is that it is one way the airlines can determine that you are you. And despite what some people have said, I have had my cc checked for flights more than half the time.

Not once have I been asked for my CC.

Travel extensively with Air Asia, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Jetstar, Thai, BA, R/Brunei, One 2 Go, Bangkok Air and more, booking made online.

Passport all I have needed.

I must be a nice honest looking guy........LOL

Travel extensively with Air Asia, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Jetstar, Thai, BA, R/Brunei, One 2 Go, Bangkok Air and more, booking made online.

Unless you have travelled to all these places in the last six months then it means nothing my friend. Most if not all the airlines are now insisting on seeing the card due to fraud and terrorism.

HL :)

Unless you have travelled to all these places in the last six months then it means nothing my friend. Most if not all the airlines are now insisting on seeing the card due to fraud and terrorism.

HL :)

Not in Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec 2009 and Jan 2010.

We flew allover S.E.A., NEVA ASKED FOR CREDIT CARD.

We began in NZ, then OZ and BKK and the rest mere mainly with Air Asia.

When I last flew to Thailand from the USA on NWA/Delta, I used a credit card to buy the ticket. When I went to check in, they had some sort of a kiosk for printing out your boarding pass. You could insert your credit card, OR, you could swipe your passport. It took me a few times to get the passport properly swiped, but once I did that right, the boarding passes came out of the machine and that was that. No one ever asked to see the credit card. For what it's worth, when I originally booked my ticket, I had to include my passport number and so on.

Anyway, I wouldn't count on having that much of an easy time of it. Call the airline.

:)

I won't bore you with my rave about credit cards, what crap they are, how they are a built in inflation maker, how they are a capitalist scam helping to ruin the U.S. economy...oh, ever mind.

But anyhow I don't have a credit card, I don't really want one, (I do have a bank ATM card for my U.S. bank account) so I never book an airline on line with a credit card. I book through an local travel agent here in Greece, who saved me 200 Euro on my last trip by finding a discounted fare that was available only through travel agents, not on-line, that Thai International had been running in January to promote tourisim.

So I never have been asked for a credit card, and if they do I'll tell them I don't have one. The information is in their computer database records for the E-ticket I purchased. My passport, which I alwas carry anyhow, is fine for identification. In addition I have 3 I.D. cards that have my photos on, issued by the Greek goverment and the U.S. government that allows me to enter my work area.

Credit cards are junk, a capitalist scam, and I will never have one, or hopefully never need one. I pay with cash, or I don't buy it. My passport and governmet I.D.s are what I use for identification. I check in with a human agent, and they accept my passport as identification.

:D

I won't bore you with my rave about credit cards, what crap they are, how they are a built in inflation maker, how they are a capitalist scam helping to ruin the U.S. economy...oh, ever mind.

But anyhow I don't have a credit card, I don't really want one, (I do have a bank ATM card for my U.S. bank account) so I never book an airline on line with a credit card. I book through an local travel agent here in Greece, who saved me 200 Euro on my last trip by finding a discounted fare that was available only through travel agents, not on-line, that Thai International had been running in January to promote tourism.

So I never have been asked for a credit card, and if they do I'll tell them I don't have one. The information is in their computer database records for the E-ticket I purchased. My passport, which I always carry anyhow, is fine for identification. In addition I have 3 I.D. cards that have my photos on, issued by the Greek government and the U.S. government that allows me to enter my work area.

Credit cards are junk, a capitalist scam, and I will never have one, or hopefully never need one. I pay with cash, or I don't buy it. My passport and government I.D.s are what I use for identification. I check in with a human agent, and they accept my passport as identification.

That's all very interesting, but if you don't use a credit card to make your booking they will not ask to see the credit card you booked with will they?

I thought this thread was all about people making bookings online, for themselves or somebody else, and the passenger being asked to show that card before they are boarded, it is a fact that some people have faced difficulties if someone else books the ticket and then doesn't fly.

People who buy a ticket from an agent or at an airline office will generally not be asked to show the CC at check-in. The agent or airline office is responsible for verifying the credit card user. But some may ask out of habit.

When booking online or over the phone, people might be asked to produce it. What they're doing is just verifying the credit card for a large purchase. But like many things, there's some discretion on the part of the airline employee, at the risk of disciplinary action if they don't follow procedures. If they don't ask, they're simply playing the odds that it's not a fraudulent transaction.

HL :D

I have made four trips in the last month and never been asked. Just produce a passport at check in and no problems. :)

All flights booked online using my CC.

Edited by smokie36

HL :D

I have made four trips in the last month and never been asked. Just produce a passport at check in and no problems. :)

All flights booked online using my CC.

This has been policy for most Airlines in the past 6 mths my CC has been asked for with Qantas,Emirates and Thai.You have to read the fine print. I booked online with Thai for a family friend to visit when I had paid and printed my ticket I re checked lo and behold IN BOLD letters it stated the person using the CC had to travel at least one leg of the journey I called Thai in Pattaya and asked what I could do, they told me 'you not read rules you have to cancel' I then called Thai in Sydney who berated me (gently) but sent an Email to Thai in Pattaya asking them to re-issue ticket at no extra charge, the girls were not pleased to see me at the Pattaya office they practically threw it at me. The days of purchasing tickets for anyone bar yourself is the new age of travelling.

This has been policy for most Airlines in the past 6 mths my CC has been asked for with Qantas,Emirates and Thai.You have to read the fine print. I booked online with Thai for a family friend to visit when I had paid and printed my ticket I re checked lo and behold IN BOLD letters it stated the person using the CC had to travel at least one leg of the journey I called Thai in Pattaya and asked what I could do, they told me 'you not read rules you have to cancel' I then called Thai in Sydney who berated me (gently) but sent an Email to Thai in Pattaya asking them to re-issue ticket at no extra charge, the girls were not pleased to see me at the Pattaya office they practically threw it at me. The days of purchasing tickets for anyone bar yourself is the new age of travelling.

Yes this seems to be pretty common now with a number of airlines, but there is a way round the rule about credit card holders having to be one of the passengers with Thai, but it is on their website, though pretty well hidden. It's actually on the page where you enter the CC details, http://www.thaiair.com/booking/non_pax_traveler.html it would seem to be so well hidden that even the Thai staff in Pattaya were not aware.

But anyhow I don't have a credit card, I don't really want one, (I do have a bank ATM card for my U.S. bank account) so I never book an airline on line with a credit card. I book through an local travel agent here in Greece, who saved me 200 Euro on my last trip by finding a discounted fare that was available only through travel agents, not on-line, that Thai International had been running in January to promote tourisim.

So I never have been asked for a credit card, and if they do I'll tell them I don't have one. The information is in their computer database records for the E-ticket I purchased. My passport, which I alwas carry anyhow, is fine for identification. In addition I have 3 I.D. cards that have my photos on, issued by the Greek goverment and the U.S. government that allows me to enter my work area.

Credit cards are junk, a capitalist scam, and I will never have one, or hopefully never need one. I pay with cash, or I don't buy it. My passport and governmet I.D.s are what I use for identification. I check in with a human agent, and they accept my passport as identification.

You do not like credit cards then?

I fly Etihad 3x year and never been asked to show cc, sometimes I book via websites sometimes directly with the airline, always pay with cc.

On Etihad website they ask however how you wish to identify yourself: you have choice between passport, cc. I always select passport.

I did book and pay a connecting Thai Airways flight 6 weeks before flying and canceled the cc, changed bank and cc company.

Was asked to show cc at check in and refused boarding, needed to purchase new ticket with new card and still waiting the old cc company to reimburse me since 2nd November, almost 4 months now :)

Another problems arises when when you want to buy a ticket for someone else. We wanted to purchase a ticket for our Granddaughter (20 years old) in Australia to come visit us in Thailand. Cannot use the credit card as we are not traveling with her. Now we are having to shuffle money so we can wire it to her account.

stupid policy imo. what if you get stranded in thaioand and the only way home is using a friend or another family members credit card to book the flight who will not be travelling with you....

then what are you supposed to do?

Quite simple really, you either go into the airlines office with the card holder and book, you use the procedure I highlighted a couple of posts back or book person at a travel agent.

This rule only applies for those who want to book and pay online using a third parties card.