Taxed In Denmark

My Thai girlfriend has recently received some insurance payments from denmark. It would appear that she has been taxed on at least some of these payments at 40 percent.

As she is Thai, living in Thailand, does she have to pay tax in Denmark? Or is she able to claim it back and pay tax in Thailand?

Thanks for any help you can give

My Thai girlfriend has recently received some insurance payments from denmark. It would appear that she has been taxed on at least some of these payments at 40 percent. As she is Thai, living in Thailand, does she have to pay tax in Denmark? Or is she able to claim it back and pay tax in Thailand?
As I know, anyone has to pay tax of whatever money from Denmark, except for some very special positions. And only because of the "double taxation" agreement between Thailand and Denmark, she does not need to pay tax again in Thailand.

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping that with the double taxation agreement that it may be possible to have the option of paying tax in Thailand if more beneficial. Do you know if this is the case or not?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that with the double taxation agreement that it may be possible to have the option of paying tax in Thailand if more beneficial. Do you know if this is the case or not? Thanks

I am no expert in TAX and double taxation, but I am quite sure that the agreement about double taxation does not give you any options but simply means that if you have paid TAX in farang-land already, you do not need to pay TAX again in Thailand.

Meaning, if you have a PENSION in Denmark, which is taxable in Denmark, you do not need to pay tax again in Thailand if you are living here. You have to pay tax of pension in Denmark, because there is tax deduction when saving. This is the logic, I think.

Opposite, if you are living and WORKING in Thailand and earning money in Denmark, which is not taxable in Denmark, you do not need to pay tax in Denmark as you in reality should inform the Revenue Department in Thailand.

The biggest problem is to come out of the taxation system in Denmark. I think it normally takes two years after “signing out” of Denmark if you do not have any social income from Denmark.

I think that insurances may be like pensions, in particularly if there have been tax deductions, but if your GF has left Denmark for more than two year, she may ask the insurance company. Because maybe she just need to get a certificate from the “Revenue Department” in the city she was living before leaving Denmark. That has to certify that she is not taxable anymore.

Anyway, I am not sure, but if you write a nice email to the insurance company, I am quite sure they will give the right answer.

Anyway, I am not sure, but if you write a nice email to the insurance company, I am quite sure they will give the right answer.

Good advice, think I will try this.

Incidently, my gf has never lived in Denmark. The payments were for a death and part of the payment was to her 2 children, both under 18