Iphone Updates

barryscaife

Hi IPhone users,

I hope someone can help me with a problem. I recently bought an IPhone and to cut a long story short I plugged it into ITunes a couple of weeks ago to sync it wit the computer and whilst doing this I was asked if I would like to install the latest update and confirmed this was OK.

I got on with other work whilst the update was taking place and can only assume that the internet access was lost during the process. When returning to the phone there was a message saying that there was a problem with my SIM card and I should go to an authorised provider to rectify the problem.

After taking the phone to various outlets I have been told by them all that there is nothing I can do until the next update is available before I can open my phone again!!

Is this true as it seems a bit stupid that such an advanced piece of "kit" can be so disrupted by the breakdown of an update - help - any ideas please???

The update was not "brokedown". You have an unlocked/jailbreak phone which you updated (which you are not suppose to do) and destroyed your unlock and jailbreak....... all the information on the net about this and you didn't know anything about this? Unlock means use a "locked" phone (one that can only use a certain carriers simcard) for any simcard anywere. Apple doesnt want you to do this so when you update to their newest software it will cancel your unlock.

At this very moment no one can unlock and jailbreak the new update, and everyone is warned NOT to update. Hopefully within a few weeks they will figure it out and post it on the net, at which time you can bring it to a place like MBK and they can unlock it to use with your sim card. Until then your phone is a paper weight.

If the guy that sold you the iphone didnt warn you not to update he is a complete asshol_e. Or maybe you werent paying attention or didnt understand him.

• 2 weeks later...
The update was not "brokedown". You have an unlocked/jailbreak phone which you updated (which you are not suppose to do) and destroyed your unlock and jailbreak....... all the information on the net about this and you didn't know anything about this? Unlock means use a "locked" phone (one that can only use a certain carriers simcard) for any simcard anywere. Apple doesnt want you to do this so when you update to their newest software it will cancel your unlock.

At this very moment no one can unlock and jailbreak the new update, and everyone is warned NOT to update. Hopefully within a few weeks they will figure it out and post it on the net, at which time you can bring it to a place like MBK and they can unlock it to use with your sim card. Until then your phone is a paper weight.

If the guy that sold you the iphone didnt warn you not to update he is a complete asshol_e. Or maybe you werent paying attention or didnt understand him.

Hi The Laughingman,

That makes sense - the phone was a present from my wife so I had no contact with the seller and was not aware of this problem - expensive paperweight!!!

Well have faith that they WILL make an unlock available for it sometime in the future, could be a few weeks or maybe months if you are unlucky. But they always do find a way to unlock it every time they upgrade the firmware by apple. At that time you can bring it to a place like MBK and get them to unlock it if you cant do it yourself with online directions.

Well have faith that they WILL make an unlock available for it sometime in the future, could be a few weeks or maybe months if you are unlucky. But they always do find a way to unlock it every time they upgrade the firmware by apple. At that time you can bring it to a place like MBK and get them to unlock it if you cant do it yourself with online directions.

Many thanks for your help - think I'll buy a new one and "unlock" the other for my wife when that becomes possible - kind of a reverse penalty in rugby!!

If your phone is relatively new you could probably sell it to a merchant at a lower price. I bought a locked phone from the States 2 years ago and when I realised it was unlockable (at the time) I sold it to a store at MBK and bought an unlocked one from them. A month later the unlock came out but I was impatient.