Thai Dogs Vs Farang Rights. What Comes First?

backsoon

I am Farang (Australian) not one of thier own. My son is mixed and my wife is Thai (mixed) but still thai. I love my Family and love Thailand. Maybe I have different objectives to you.

I just dont believe something that absurd, i have been here now for 4 years and have seen crazy things but this is a bit too crazy. Here in my village if a dog attacked me i would not have a problem. If you were attacked by my dog and you kick it and you did nothing to make him attack you it would be me who would be paying you. This is what has been explained to me by other Thais who leave their dogs walk free.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am Farang (Australian) not one of thier own. My son is mixed and my wife is Thai (mixed) but still thai. I love my Family and love Thailand. Maybe I have different objectives to you.

I just dont believe something that absurd, i have been here now for 4 years and have seen crazy things but this is a bit too crazy. Here in my village if a dog attacked me i would not have a problem. If you were attacked by my dog and you kick it and you did nothing to make him attack you it would be me who would be paying you. This is what has been explained to me by other Thais who leave their dogs walk free.

Precisely. Moetownblues is either not telling us something, or his wife is playing him for a mug.

Dogs most certainly are not considered above people in Thailand!

Robblok I respect you and what you are saying. I do but please do not insinuate that I am lying. What I say is the absolute truth. I am talking about a group of dogs that came to stay in a home that we always walked past. The dogs were there because of the family moving in to look after the home whilst the owners were in England. Maybe they were protecting territority. Thais love thier dogs is true. I have spoken to the English guy and his wife since they moved back and there are no hard feelings towards them. The wife did say tho that she hates the brothers dogs as they are trained to fight.

Precisely. Moetownblues is either not telling us something, or his wife is playing him for a mug.

My wife doe's not play for a mug and I am telling it straight. My wife is a wonderful lady.

Robblok I respect you and what you are saying. I do but please do not insinuate that I am lying. What I say is the absolute truth. I am talking about a group of dogs that came to stay in a home that we always walked past. The dogs were there because of the family moving in to look after the home whilst the owners were in England. Maybe they were protecting territority. Thais love thier dogs is true. I have spoken to the English guy and his wife since they moved back and there are no hard feelings towards them. The wife did say tho that she hates the brothers dogs as they are trained to fight.

Most (but not all) Thais only love their dogs if they don't have to pay for proper food, vet bills etc.

My wife doe's not play for a mug and I am telling it straight. My wife is a wonderful lady.

In which case the story makes no sense. But I believe you, I just don't understand how it happened. No Thai is going to pay another Thai whose dog bit him!

Edited by F1fanatic

Really really fishy story, you were scammed one way or an other. If this happened then someone took you for a ride. Thais might protect Thais but not at all cost and i believe you made a deal before it came up to court because someone scared you into a deal.

I have dealt with the Thai police when i had an accident and they were quite fair. I am not saying that all cops are fair im saying not all Thais are out to get you and the story is just to crazy.

If it had really gone to court i doubt they would have gotten anything, 40.000 baht for kicking a dog what bit you. Real strange. If you check what they give for a death of a human as compensation. The whole story just does not make much sense to me.

That does not mean your lying.. means your scammed some way

Edited by robblok

<snip>

I carry a teaser with me I go out at night and have used it to scare them away already

Interesting.

Teaser or Taser?

As in, firing wire connected darts with abt 40,000 volts?

Bought in Thailand?

Is not the ones that fires wire. It is the one makes spark and self contain and not sure how many volts. I bought it in Pattay ‘s night market a year ago

Most of the time the doges are scared of the spark and the sound

F1Fanatic it is frang paying thai.......... Not thai paying thai and there was a visa issue.

What visa issue was there?

Had a Thai mouthing off to me once threatening to get me deported, told him to order a taxi and we would go to immigration or the police dept, up to him, soon backed off when he realized his bullshit threats were just that bullshit.

Too many just bend over and take it.

Who told you to pay, and who threatened your visa staus, I would have been straight to a lawyer, but then again I didnt sail up the Chao Phraya river in a banana boat.

<snip>

I carry a teaser with me I go out at night and have used it to scare them away already

Interesting.

Teaser or Taser?

As in, firing wire connected darts with abt 40,000 volts?

Bought in Thailand?

Is not the ones that fires wire. It is the one makes spark and self contain and not sure how many volts. I bought it in Pattay 's night market a year ago

Most of the time the doges are scared of the spark and the sound

Why would you want to 'taser' a dog? The vast majority of posters have pointed out that dogs are not generally a problem. Are you looking for an excuse to hurt something?

I despair sometimes about the number of people who are looking to prove their virility/masculinity by hurting a defenceless dog.

As I've said before, a pepper spray (not in the face - just in front of it) works wonderfully.

No doubt the dog situation is out of control in this country. They are treated as the equivalent of India's sacred cows. It is really whacko. Malaysia has the right idea - loose dogs are generally not tolerated and they have "dog shooters" who cut the population down from time to time. Unfortunately, I think you will never see that here.

Police and the legal system are not set up to deal with minor incidents like this and definitely not with the litigious foreigner and all his talk of rights. :)

You don't think that a person has a right to walk on a public beach without being attacked and bitten by dogs?

Its incredibly unusual for Thai dogs to attack someone (even in a pack).

They are normally v gentle and cautious about people.

Are you crazy? Thai dogs attack people all the time. Ask any Thai person about this and they will tell you....some will even show you their scars! I, unfortunately, and luckily only temporarily, live next to a large construction camp. Many dogs around. The workers carry sticks with them as they enter and leave the camp. I can't tell you how many times I have seen them being attacked. All they do is beat them...very hard. dam_n things bark all the time. I don't think anybody owns any of them, but they feed them for sure...and they crap everywhere.

In my wife's village, you can't even walk around after dark...heck, even during the day you have to be careful. But night is the worst. They poison them all the time. My wife's mom has lost 2 dogs in the past year. They accidentally ate the poison intended for another dog. We built her a fence so her new dog can't get out.

It is irresponsible to let dogs run free. Thai's do it, but like said here, they have a different attitude towards dogs. They are just dogs...and many times there for protection. You never see a Thai person let their dog into their house.

It is a real problem here. I LOVE dogs. But if attacked, it would be the end of them. Usually, in the US, if a dog bites a person, they are put down. And it is done for a good reason.

It all depends how you react to dogs. I have 2 dogs and they love to bark to people who are scared. People who don't care about them they don't bark at. But they just know when you are scared and then they love to bark (not bite). So the moment i hear them bark i get out and look what they are doing. If they are harassing someone ill stop it (unless its a farang i love seeing them run).

When you run the dogs just love it and see you as prey. When you just look at them ignore them they wont do a thing most of the time. Still i can imagine its scary if a whole pack goes after you.

You've got to be kidding? You know your dogs chase people and yet you let them? Come on....and then you say its scary? Many people are naturally afraid of dogs. Sure, dogs sense that, but dogs should NOT be allowed to run free and do this. You are only adding to the problem.

And you should move if you don't like where you live. You cant expect your neighbors to change their ways for you.

Everywhere in Thailand where there are people, there are barking dogs. No exceptions. Even at most wats. Perhaps I can't expect my Thai neighbors to be decent and responsible about their pets. But I choose to reside in Thailand, as there are attributes to living here that outweigh the ubiquitous drawbacks such as shitty little dogs and rude driving. Lucky for me, I'll be moving to a secluded rural region where residents have large 10 rai parcels. There are still packs of dogs barking several times a day in the distance, but hey, this is Thailand, ....you simply can't get away from it. All but a few Thais have no idea now to discipline their dogs - they might even enjoy their dogs harassing walkers/bicyclers - though most likely they're able to tune it out as another yawning 'mai pen rai.' Sounds like some farang are similarly crude with their animals.

Yelling, hitting, kicking, threatening or any attempt to "discipline" a dog that has already been provoked, will most likely escalate the situation. Fear aggression on the part of a human is only going to elicit more aggression from a dog. Believe me you don't want the owner yelling around and getting all upset. It will only make things worse.

Exercising your right to be ignorant of dog behavior in Thailand is like disregarding how people actually drive in Thailand. Focusing on rules or rights will only get you hurt or worse. Use some common sense and deal with the realities of life and stop worrying about the theoretical.

Sure you may have the theoretical right to do or go wherever you want, but even in your own country there are parts of town where it is unwise to go. We don't have the right to be unwise and expect everyone else to look out for us.

It all depends how you react to dogs. I have 2 dogs and they love to bark to people who are scared. People who don't care about them they don't bark at. But they just know when you are scared and then they love to bark (not bite). So the moment i hear them bark i get out and look what they are doing. If they are harassing someone ill stop it (unless its a farang i love seeing them run).

When you run the dogs just love it and see you as prey. When you just look at them ignore them they wont do a thing most of the time. Still i can imagine its scary if a whole pack goes after you.

You've got to be kidding? You know your dogs chase people and yet you let them? Come on....and then you say its scary? Many people are naturally afraid of dogs. Sure, dogs sense that, but dogs should NOT be allowed to run free and do this. You are only adding to the problem.

I know my dogs bark at people, i also know they dont bite them or chase them. Follow them a bit bark a bit then stop. The moment i hear something like that i go out and make sure the dog stops barking. We are talking here about maybe 3 times 20-30 minutes a day that they walk free. They mostly stay in front of my home and sometimes bark at people (actually one of the dogs does the other doesn't care)

How often does it happen that he barks at people when free.. lets say once every three days .. wow so bad. Some people need a life. Does he bark at everyone.. no it just happens sometimes and then i go out and stop him. Sounds real irresponsible does it.

Your in Thailand dogs are allowed to walk free here so how can you say they should not if there is no law against it ?

And you should move if you don't like where you live. You cant expect your neighbors to change their ways for you.

Everywhere in Thailand where there are people, there are barking dogs. No exceptions. Even at most wats. Perhaps I can't expect my Thai neighbors to be decent and responsible about their pets. But I choose to reside in Thailand, as there are attributes to living here that outweigh the ubiquitous drawbacks such as shitty little dogs and rude driving. Lucky for me, I'll be moving to a secluded rural region where residents have large 10 rai parcels. There are still packs of dogs barking several times a day in the distance, but hey, this is Thailand, ....you simply can't get away from it. All but a few Thais have no idea now to discipline their dogs - they might even enjoy their dogs harassing walkers/bicyclers - though most likely they're able to tune it out as another yawning 'mai pen rai.' Sounds like some farang are similarly crude with their animals.

Seems like you keep misquouting me and leaving out the piece where i say i do care and am out the moment i hear the dog bark at someone. Like i said loads of times i care but am not going to lock them up all the time while all other dogs roam free and bark too.

I just let them out 3 to 4 20-30 minute bouts and the moment i hear something i make sure the problem is solved. Some people make mountains out of ant hills.. you sound like someone like that.

Police and the legal system are not set up to deal with minor incidents like this and definitely not with the litigious foreigner and all his talk of rights. :)

You don't think that a person has a right to walk on a public beach without being attacked and bitten by dogs?

If a dog bites you, then you did something wrong. You have brain so use it. All they have is instinct.

What in the world are you doing in a place where nobody else goes, beach or elsewhere? If there are other people there, why did the dog attack you and not the others? Dogs don't bite for no reason.

Talk about "rights" all you want but discard common sense and suffer the consequences.