Crackdown On Bangkok Street Beggars

george

Crackdown on beggars soon

BANGKOK: -- The Social Development and Human Security Ministry says gangs of beggars are just asking for it.

The ministry plans a major crackdown focusing on 13 problem areas in Bangkok and will also propose a new law against begging.

Permanent secretary Wallop Ploythubtim said representatives of the ministry, the police, city hall and the Interior and Labour ministries agreed at a meeting yesterday a clampdown on begging gangs would start at the end of May in Bangkok and then extend into the provinces at a later date.

It will focus on gang leaders, those who recruit the disabled, elderly and children, and those who use animals to beg.

Mr Wallop said Thai beggars would be reunited with relatives, given jobs in their hometowns and monitored by follow-up officials, while aliens would be deported and barred from returning to Thailand.

People will be asked not to give money to beggars or buy goods from children at intersections in a bid to eradicate such gangs since all the money went to the gang leaders and not to the beggars.

''These people know Thais are kind, so they use the elderly, the handicapped and children to beg for money and sell goods. So I want to ask people to not buy things or give beggars money since you will only be supporting the gangs. If you refuse them money, these begging gangs will go out of business,'' Mr Wallop said.

Surveys by a special ministerial team over the past month found 13 sites in Bangkok each had at least 180 beggars, but police also said weekend and flea markets were additional trouble areas.

The target areas are Victory Monument, outside Central World Plaza, Talat Noi in Yaowarat, Udomsuk market, near Nana and Prom Phong skytrain stations, Wongwian Yai, near Central Plaza Lat Phrao, Saladaeng skytrain station and Patpong, a pedestrian bridge in front of Pantip Plaza, an area in front of Chatuchak weekend market, Bang Khae market and a pedestrian bridge in front of The Mall Bang Khae, Saphan Mai Don Muang market, and an area near Makro Bang Bon.

--Bangkok Post 2005-05-13

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was very nice project by the government but again and again, they should track down the root cause of the problem. "POVERTY" is the root cause of the beggars anywhere. I think the best project they should do is: How to give proper education with those needy in every part of Thailand. :o

That was very nice project by the government but again and again, they should track down the root cause of the problem. "POVERTY" is the root cause of the beggars anywhere. I think the best project they should do is: How to give proper education with those needy in every part of Thailand.  :D

Unfortunately, laziness and lack of work ethic is the cause of a lot of poverty here as well. How do you get rid of the root cause of that?

:o

That was very nice project by the government but again and again, they should track down the root cause of the problem. "POVERTY" is the root cause of the beggars anywhere. I think the best project they should do is: How to give proper education with those needy in every part of Thailand. 

Starting with English lessons perhaps?

I think alot of begging in Bangkok is a result of the huge disparity in wealth. In a village upcountry an unskilled worker makes 100 baht per day OR LESS. In another topic on TV many posters indicated that they give money to people who beg frequently. If you are begging and 10 foreigners each give you 20 baht then you make 200 baht per day........Heck, with this kind of money you can send money home to your family if you are from upcountry. Begging can realistically outearn the wage you could make in your village.

But then my seven-year-old daughter always asks for a few baht to give to the child beggars (or uses her pocket money, if any is left).

Her reasoning, as explained to me a few months age - "If I didn't have you and Maer, I would be like that." So what do you do?

But then my seven-year-old daughter always asks for a few baht to give to the child beggars (or uses her pocket money, if any is left).

Her reasoning, as explained to me a few months age - "If I didn't have you and Maer, I would be like that." So what do you do?

You give your daughter a big hug and tell her what a kind heart that she has and you try not to cry.

"But then my seven-year-old daughter always asks for a few baht to give to the child beggars (or uses her pocket money, if any is left).

Her reasoning, as explained to me a few months age - "If I didn't have you and Maer, I would be like that." So what do you do? "

Be thankful that you have a thoughtful caring child and encourance her generosity and mindfulness - but, importantly, as she is old enough to understand, explain the cold hard facts to her so that she is fully aware to the reality of life.

You give your daughter a big hug and tell her what a kind heart that she has and you try not to cry.

ditto from me.....from the mouths of babes....priceless.and congrats on the attitude you have instilled in your daughter....an A1 role model.

People will be asked not to give money to beggars or buy goods from children at intersections in a bid to eradicate such gangs since all the money went to the gang leaders and not to the beggars.

I think a lot of you missed this....it's been going on for years. I don't give to them often as they make me feel uncomfortable, and I know they don't get the money.

Are the girls and boys who sell flowers in bars at night in organised gangs as well? They are really cute, some of them, and I always succumb...

There's an old (well, middle-aged) woman who works in front of the Bkk Dynasty on Suk. Soi 4. She's been there for years. Wears a desperate expression when she begs. A few times I caught arriving on the job before her shift begins: her facial expression doesn't look desperate at all.

I think a lot of you missed this....it's been going on for years. I don't give to them often as they make me feel uncomfortable, and I know they don't get the money.

Are the girls and boys who sell flowers in bars at night in organised gangs as well? They are really cute, some of them, and I always succumb...

I keep few coins in my pocket and it comes in handy at times. A little charty :o

"Are the girls and boys who sell flowers in bars at night in organised gangs as well? They are really cute, some of them, and I always succumb... "

They are most porbably the children of the bar girls.

Remember the crackdown on flower garland sellers during APEC - ludicrous !

My wife gave a bag of her clothes to a handicapped young woman who sells garlands on Wireless Road/Petburi intersection - we always get a massive smile whenever we pass by now.

Edited by The_Moog

That was very nice project by the government but again and again, they should track down the root cause of the problem. "POVERTY" is the root cause of the beggars anywhere. I think the best project they should do is: How to give proper education with those needy in every part of Thailand.  :D

Some beggars came from neighbouring country, their complexion reveal it. I did ask a simple question and they did not understand. :o

"I think the best project they should do is: How to give proper education with those needy in every part of Thailand". The government is helping out but always not enough....never ending stories :D

Let's see if I can follow the logic of this government. The logical answer to the root cause of begging would be to make poverty illegal and arrest those caught being poor. Surely that would completely remove poverty from Thailand.

Unfortunately, laziness and lack of work ethic is the cause of a lot of poverty here as well. How do you get rid of the root cause of that?

Unfortunately, avarice and taking advantage of the poorest sectors of society's vulnerability and foibles by a relatively small minority of the population (i.e. the nouveau riche) is also a cause of the ingrained poverty here. Then they have the cheek to deride the poor's "lack of work ethic and laziness", while they screw them out of their last baht on a daily basis. How do you get rid of that root cause?

there is a difference between begging out of poverty and organized gang like begging.

the "mother" with the 2 kids in front of the volvo dealership is very disturbing. the 2 kids are obviously drugged. probably all of the little kids are drugged. they can be bought in poi pet for a couple of hundred baht.

however the young man that is crawling between soi 7 and 11 is kind of funny. he is missing a foot and actually comes to work with a 3wheel motorcycle.

and how about the little flower sellers who were sold from india??

Reading all the posts about foreigners being brought in to beg, one would be forgiven for thinking that the Thai's are too lazy even to beg!

:D

I wonder if this crackdown is leading towards registration of all the foreign beggars and having work permits issued to them at 10,000 baht a go.

We know there are corrupt politicians, but because we aspire to maturity, we hesitate from generalising and say all politicians are corrupt.

We know there are businessmen who lie and cheat, yet we will not say all businessmen cannot be trusted.

We, perhaps, know of policemen who have taken bribes, though common sense tells us society could not function if all policemen were so.

Then why is it whenever stories like this appear, many of us immediately condemn the most unfortunate in our society, allowing them none of the generosity we give to the rich and powerful?

The Danes have a theory that inside everyone there is “inner pig-dog” (indre svinehund) waiting to be awakened, which will take control of even the most rational person. This “inner pig-dog” is the principle characteristic of the bully, the racist and the exploiters of the innocent. Our challenge as adults is to learn to control this animal.

Thank God, a small child has reminded us, as we consider the implications of this story and the fate of anyone who has to beg for a living, that there for the grace of God, go you and I.

:D

We know there are corrupt politicians, but because we aspire to maturity, we hesitate from generalising and say all politicians are corrupt.

We know there are businessmen who lie and cheat, yet we will not say all businessmen cannot be trusted.

We, perhaps, know of policemen who have taken bribes, though common sense tells us society could not function if all policemen were so.

Then why is it whenever stories like this appear, many of us immediately condemn the most unfortunate in our society, allowing them none of the generosity we give to the rich and powerful?

The Danes have a theory that inside everyone there is “inner pig-dog” (indre svinehund) waiting to be awakened, which will take control of even the most rational person. This “inner pig-dog” is the principle characteristic of the bully, the racist and the exploiters of the innocent. Our challenge as adults is to learn to control this animal.

Thank God, a small child has reminded us, as we consider the implications of this story and the fate of anyone who has to beg for a living, that there for the grace of God, go you and I.

Amen! Thomas. but a little question - are we allowed to generalise all loansharks who charge way above bank rates as parasites on society? :o

Remember the crackdown on flower garland sellers during APEC - ludicrous !

My wife gave a bag of her clothes to a handicapped young woman who sells garlands on Wireless Road/Petburi intersection - we always get a massive smile whenever we pass by now.

Always get the dangly flowers for the car mirror from this lady, nice smile :o

I am reminded of an often repeated story in Chiangmai

Several years ago, the members of the Hash House Harriers, becoming p'd off at all the beggars entering the Hash House on meeting nights devised a scheme to test a theory. They all brought their company stamps and an indelible ink pad to the Hash House.

During the course of the early evening, every baby and "mother" was stamped as a pair with a different stamp - the mother on the back of the hand, the baby on the sole of the foot - a game was made of it to have them co-operate.

During the rest of the evening (this was when places were open 24 hours) each baby was found to be brought back to the Hash House with up to ten different adults all claiming to be the mother.

Aparently the Governor was informed somehow, and a crack-down ensued.

Now, years later, the same problem is reoccurring with increased vigour. The problem is less that it happens, or that clean-ups don't occur - it is that there is no ongoing maintenance of such programs, and that once the initial programme has calmed down after the initial fanfare, a greater number of people are aware of the opportunity and join in. This appears true whether it's fleecing the farangs in taxis, not wearing motorbike helmets, begging, or working as a BG - the publicity raises awareness of the opportunity, the clean-up removes the original perpetrators, then everyone else joins in making the problem even bigger.

An old adage has it that "mimicry is the greatest form of flattery" in which case Thais must be the most flattering people on the planet?

Gaz

there is a difference between begging out of poverty and organized gang like begging.

the "mother" with the 2 kids in front of the volvo dealership is very disturbing. the 2 kids are obviously drugged. probably all of the little kids are drugged. they can be bought in poi pet for a couple of hundred baht.

however the young man that is crawling between soi 7 and 11 is kind of funny. he is missing a foot and actually comes to work with a 3wheel motorcycle.

and how about the little flower sellers who were sold from india??

Yeh! The guy crawling! I have watched him once for an Hour. He was making well over 400 baht in that hour. He must make a fortune. His bike (and leg) are mostly parked at the gasoline station. :o