Toyota Avanza - Opinions

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has first-hand opinions to give about the Toyota Avanza. I've been offered what looks to be a relatively good rate (975 Bt p.d. all inc.) to rent one in Chiang Mai for 3 weeks.

Use would be 50/50 in town and on some out-of-town day-trips etc - and mostly with just driver + 1. I know it's a tad bigger than I need, but I like the idea of sitting a bit higher than in a saloon car - specially for Chiang Mai rush hours :D

I heard that it's got quite a bouncy suspension - true? 1.3 seems maybe bordering on under-powered for a 7-seater (although I'm not going to fill all those seats). Then again, I've got fed up before with having next to no power/accelaration on steep hill climbs............. Any other thoughts for or against?

Thanks in advance :o

(BTW - I'm not in Thailand yet - so, no, I can't test-drive it first).

Not highly recommended for out of town driving I think, especially on anything remotely resembling mountainous roads.

Poor balance apparently, wouldn't be suprising looking at its shape.

Thanks for the comments so far.........

The above kind of bears out what I was hearing - I assume you mean handling tight bends rather than just the pulling power? Previously, I used a Suzuki Caribian which had had it's suspension tweaked to give a smooth ride in town and took some getting used to how it rocked on tight bends/cambers (aside from the fact I had to use first gear on anything but a gentle slope).

Edited by Steve2UK

Thanks to all who replied. Given the lukewarm/negative comments, I'll forego the 4WD and height I was after. Just discovered a choice of 2.0L Daewoo Espero or 1.6L Honda Civic elsewhere for about the same daily rate as the Avanza.

What 4WD??? Forget the Espero unless you've got a good set of spanners, Honda should see you right!!

I thought the Avanza is 4WD? That's what it says on North Wheels (Chiang Mai rental) website.

Turns out that the alternative rental place now only has the Suzuki Caribian available for the period I want. Back to square one......... will probably try to go for Honda Jazz or City from North Wheels :o