80th Anniversary Of Radio Broadcasting In Thailand

webfact

Special Report:

80th Anniversary of Radio Broadcasting in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- On 25 February each year, activities are put up to commemorate the anniversary of radio broadcasting in Thailand.

February 25 is a special day for Thais to pay homage to Prince Purachatra Jayagara, the Prince of Kamphaeng Phet who introduced radio broadcasting technology to the country.

Born in 1881 to King Chulalongkorn, Prince Purachatra Jayagara was sent to Europe to study civil engineering.

His proficient command of foreign languages and his expertise in engineering led to the first national radio experiment in 1927 in the reign of his brother, King Prajadhipok: Rama VII.

The first radio program in Thailand was made at the Prince’s resident, Ban Dok Mai Palace. The first radio broadcast was named HS 4 PJ.

The team then moved to Saladeang station, under the name HS 11 PJ. The abbreviation PJ was shortened from the Prince's name, Purachatra Jayagara.

Later in 1930, King Prajadhipok allowed the Prince to set up a small experimental radio station at Phayathai Palace in Bangkok, with a modern transmitter ordered from overseas.

The place called 'Radio Bangkok at Phyathai', marked the first public radio station in Thailand.

On the launch day, 25 February 1930, the Coronation Day in the Seventh Reign, King Prajadhipok publicly delivered his address via a telephone line, saying that the radio broadcast was launched to promote education and commerce and provide entertainment to the general public. His address brought delight and excitement to citizens across the nation. The official name was then adopted as 'Radio Thailand' on 1 January 1941.

The year 2010 marks the 80th anniversary of radio broadcasting in Thailand. A ceremony will be held to pay homage to Prince Purachatra Jayagara or the Prince of Kamphaeng Phet, who is recognized as the Father of Radio Broadcasting in Thailand.

Since February 25 1930, radio broadcasting has played an important role in developing the nation.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-02-25

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I love to get home from work and stick the Thai wireless on.

I have no idea what they're talking about. I'm sure it's something interesting that provokes thought on some of the very important issues in Thailand.

Actually it is quite interesting. Prince Purachatra was a leading figure in pushing technology in Thailand and put a great deal of time and energy into telephone communications, radio, and other areas. After 1932, however, he moved to Singapore where he died just a few years later in 1936 at 54. There is a broadcasting museum, in fact, near the Public Relations Department that is interesting to visit.

Granuaile

I have no idea what they're talking about. I'm sure it's something interesting that provokes thought on some of the very important issues in Thailand.

Actually it is quite interesting. Prince Purachatra was a leading figure in pushing technology in Thailand and put a great deal of time and energy into telephone communications, radio, and other areas. After 1932, however, he moved to Singapore where he died just a few years later in 1936 at 54. There is a broadcasting museum, in fact, near the Public Relations Department that is interesting to visit.

Granuaile

Hmmm and Thai radio has not improved since.

Granuaile

Really? I have a very different perception of it. Radio Phaya Thai actually enjoyed quite a good reputation in the region, at least judging from articles I've read from the the 1930s. In fact the Straits Times carried an article in 1932 that praised the station. I enjoy many Thai radio stations and Thai popular and country music. But then some in this forum would never miss a chance criticize anything Thai, yet without providing anything to back up their words. Sarcasm is rather difficult under that constraint (your words were meant as sarcasm, right?).

Granuaile

Really? I have a very different perception of it. Radio Phaya Thai actually enjoyed quite a good reputation in the region, at least judging from articles I've read from the the 1930s. In fact the Straits Times carried an article in 1932 that praised the station. I enjoy many Thai radio stations and Thai popular and country music. But then some in this forum would never miss a chance criticize anything Thai, yet without providing anything to back up their words. Sarcasm is rather difficult under that constraint (your words were meant as sarcasm, right?).

What is sarcasm? You like Thai radio and I think it's naff. Just because your opinion is a positive one, doesn't make my opinion any less pertinent.

I listen to many good radio stations around the world. Does this justify me living on planet earth in your eyes? Or should I pack my bags and move to the moon?

What is sarcasm? You like Thai radio and I think it's naff. Just because your opinion is a positive one, doesn't make my opinion any less pertinent.

I listen to many good radio stations around the world. Does this justify me living on planet earth in your eyes? Or should I pack my bags and move to the moon?

Ohh, it wasn't sarcasm? I thought it sarcasm given that it is rather unlikely that you were listening to Thai radio in the 1930s - your words were "and Thai radio has not improved since." Sounded like an attempt at sarcasm aimed at an event that Thailand and Thai people have every right to be proud of. I doubt that you would be very happy on the moon.

luv the look-tung; but can't stand the soppy boll#cks pop, the thai reggae ska is a good crack, the rocks ok but like most of that genre across the world i reckon too many words get in the way the music. Chiang Mai radio in the evening has an english language broadcast playing western oldies/classics btw

luv the look-tung; but can't stand the soppy boll#cks pop, the thai reggae ska is a good crack, the rocks ok but like most of that genre across the world i reckon too many words get in the way the music. Chiang Mai radio in the evening has an english language broadcast playing western oldies/classics btw

I pretty much like it all, but I'm partial to Carabao, Tai Orathai, and Sweet Nuch - but I also enjoy the pop that they play at the club I go to on RCA sometimes, and that they play at a club in Thonburi I like....

Ohh, it wasn't sarcasm? I thought it sarcasm given that it is rather unlikely that you were listening to Thai radio in the 1930s - your words were "and Thai radio has not improved since." Sounded like an attempt at sarcasm aimed at an event that Thailand and Thai people have every right to be proud of. I doubt that you would be very happy on the moon.

My words were 'and Thai radio has not improved since' I didn't write that. Go back and check who actually wrote that and you'll see it wasn't me. Nice try, smiler.

My words were 'and Thai radio has not improved since' I didn't write that. Go back and check who actually wrote that and you'll see it wasn't me. Nice try, smiler.

My apologies to you. I was actually replying to ableguy but had to edit the number of quotes to get it to post. My editing was bad and it was ableguy I was responding to, just for clarification.

For all of its possible flaws, I enjoy the Radio Thailand english news, mostly because I remember it from 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago. I guess I grew up to it in a way... remember the "travel thailand" show that used to come on at 8pm too.

Also hope English-language radio in Thailand won't disappear any time soon.

[edited for grammar!]

Edited by mezzoninny

In NZ radio broadcasting commenced in 1919 so what the eff has Thailand got to crow about :)

But then NZ has been at the forefront of many things that Thailand can to this day only begin to dream about. Like the first flight in a heavier than air machine, a NZ'er being the man in command at NASA when the yanks put the first man on the moon, olympic gold medals by the cart load (in 1984 US won 83 from a pop of 250 million, NZ picked up 8 from 4 million which equals US 1x for every 3.01 million / NZ 1x for every 500 thousand, the realm picking up 7x since 1896 so on a per person capita basis using say 50 million as the average population over the years and with a tally of 7x golds "total" = 1x per 814 million people)

But hey what are we talking about. Thailand gave us Jasmine rice didn't they (or did they really)

In NZ radio broadcasting commenced in 1919 so what the eff has Thailand got to crow about :)

But then NZ has been at the forefront of many things that Thailand can to this day only begin to dream about. Like the first flight in a heavier than air machine, a NZ'er being the man in command at NASA when the yanks put the first man on the moon, olympic gold medals by the cart load (in 1984 US won 83 from a pop of 250 million, NZ picked up 8 from 4 million which equals US 1x for every 3.01 million / NZ 1x for every 500 thousand, the realm picking up 7x since 1896 so on a per person capita basis using say 50 million as the average population over the years and with a tally of 7x golds "total" = 1x per 814 million people)

But hey what are we talking about. Thailand gave us Jasmine rice didn't they (or did they really)

You are totally off topic and from the sounds of it, rather insecure. This is a Thai forum, therefore we discuss Thai issues. If you wish to sound off about the greatness of New Zealand, this is not the appropriate place.