Honda Dream

Pond Life

I was interested to read that Honda will soon stop producing bikes with carbs.

I assume this means there will be a Dream with injection.

Can anyone confirm this ?

Also will it be basicly the old Dream engine with injection or the Wave PGMFi engine in a Dream frame?

I recently sold a 5 year old Wave 125i,

because, on the steep & windy mountain roads of Mae Hong Son it just didnt have the torque of the Dream.

I'm wondering should I dash out & get one of the last indestructable carb Dreams.

Or wait for a Dream that will hopefully run on E20 or even E85.

It may be too late to grab one of the last Dreams.

My Honda dealer here in Isaan told me the other day that the Dream will be discontinued, and that every Dream he could get Honda to send him was being sent, special order, to Burma and Vietnam, for a 10,000 baht per bike bonus on top of the regular price. I believed him because as he said this he had a about 15 Dreams in a row, being loaded up on two big trucks, and another ten in the back room waiting. I asked him if he could sell me one - he said 'no, they're all gone now'.

Apparently the sensible Burmese and Viets want them bad, and don't welcome the change to 'modern' technology. He said he would even be a bit careful if you had a decent looking Dream at home - it could easily be stolen for sending to those countries.

I was told by Honda officials that Honda Thailand, and its dealers, will not sell a carburettor motorcycle after March. The truck load was likely more a refund, Honda is now buying back the carburettor motorcycles still located at dealers.

Edited by Richard-BKK

I was told by Honda officials that Honda Thailand, and its dealers, will not sell a carburettor motorcycle after March. The truck load was likely more a refund, Honda is now buying back the carburettor motorcycles still located at dealers.

Hmm.. why would he lie? He had just ordered the Dreams in specifically for this purpose - I had seen just the usual 2-3 there over the last few weeks, and suddenly there were around 20. And the man's been telling me for years about the taste of the Burmese and Vietnamese for Dreams.

I see no reason to doubt him, as he knows I would never buy one - I only buy the Sonic/Tena style bike as I like to have a clutch.

Edited by ClareQuilty

Actually when a poster said that in KK there were no airblades to be bought (without huge premiums) I made the effort to call KK Honda.. The Thai manager / owner was quite open with me that every airblade he could get his hands on were going to Vietnamese grey importers for a large premium over Thai prices and he simply didnt have any spare stock to sell at Thai prices.

So I could believe the above.

The Honda Super Dream costs in Vietnam new from the Honda dealer 28,735 Thai Baht (16.390.000 VNĐ). I'm not 100% sure what the going price is for a Honda Dream in Thailand, but last I hear it was more (and then we not even calculated the transport cost).

The Honda Dream 125cc is no longer available, it will officially be not for sell at the end of March (like all other none-fuel-injection motorcycles and scooters), but what I hear from Honda distribution is that they stopped sending Dream's for some time now.

With the Thai price of +/-45,000 Baht it is unlikely that the Thai Honda Dream can compete against the in Vietnam available Honda Super Dream 125 for 28,000 or 29,000 Baht. Just my two cents :)