Work Permit And Visa Based Upon Marriage To Thai National

My apologies if this question and request for advice has previously been asked and answered, but I have used the Search Function and cannot find a posting that seems to fit my exact category

I have a Thai wife and am currently on a Retirement visa. Despite all of the anticipated problems and delays in the change I am hoping to convert to Visa based upon Marriage to a Thai national. If accomplished I would like to apply for a Work Permit.

Before I start down that road either with help from a solicitor or try to go it alone - I need to establish if I would even qualify.

I am a qualified English Teacher and would like to work with my wife in our own business of teaching Basic English to specific small learner groups from Police; Bank; Hospital etc.

In that I would not have a Teaching Establishment or Company to sponsor me in the request for a Work Permit, other than my own family business, would I still qualify to apply?

Many thanks in advance,

Gladiator

Good luck with trying to change that visa.

I just tried and had every paper imaginable.

They only extended my retirement visa and when I told them, "No, I want a marriage visa" they said: no, this one is better. End of conversation (he wouldn't talk to me again)

Next year, I will try to do it through a lawyer but am not getting my hopes up.

Apparantly they don't want to give out this visa simply because it is too much paperwork for them (and you of course)

Let me know how your ordeal goes.

It is not a visa - it an extension of stay and only the reason is being changed. The key is not to have enough money with paperwork to qualify for retirement - then the marriage extension is normal. Or if you plan to work it would have to be either marriage or work as retirement does not allow a work permit to be issued. There is no need for lawyer involvement when doing normal extensions of stay. When you have complex issues involving massive paperwork is when a lawyer is advisable (in my opinion).

If you present papers to immigration that fail to support the requirements for an extension of stay based on retirement they have no choice. So make sure bank balance is below 800k or income letter is less than 65k/month, but at least 400k/40k to meet requirements for extension of stay based on marriage.