Retirement Visa Proof Of Income

I am a 50 year old male and currently dating a Thai woman who lives in London, as I do. Her visa to stay in the UK expires in May, so I wish to move to Thailand with her. I have read that I can get a retirement visa but need proof of income. The income I intend to use to live there will be from my property in London that I currently live in. Will this rent be acceptable as my income? I can get rental estimates from a few estate agents, but won't actually get any of the rent until I leave the UK. Will this be a problem.

Also, I'm a bit confused about all the visa types. While in Thailand, I would like to travel a fair bit, so need to leave the country and return quite often - I will probably visit Vietnam, Laos, China, Japan, Korea, Australia, etc. Maybe not all in the first year, but I'd like to be fairly free to come and go.

Another option may be to come on a tourist visa and then get a retirement visa later.

What suggestions do you have for my situation? And am I best applying myself or using an agency. I don't mind paying if it makes the whole process easier.

Finally, how far in advance do I need to apply.

Tou get a non-O visa you don't need to show any income. Advise to apply at the consulate in Hull, you can do so by mail.

When In Thailand, yu can extend you permision to stay with one year, if you can show either an incoem of 65,000 baht a month OR have 800,000 in bankaccount in Thailand in your name for at least 2 months OR have money in a bankaccount plus a yearly income that together is more than 800,00 baht.

Income from abroad, as in your case, must be proven with a letter from your embassy. It is up to the embassy to decide what they will accept as proof. But rental income is generally accepted. You can inquire at your embassy in Thailand what they will accpet as proof.

You best option now is a multi entry non immigrant O visa which you can easily obtain from Hull Consulate. You have to exit at least once every 90 days but it provides one year of unlimited entry/exit without an need of additional financial.

During the last 30 days of any entry you can extend for one year at Immigration by meeting the 800k in bank account 2 months, 65k per month income in Embassy letter of a combination of the two. While here you can ask Embassy what they require and will have time to get property rented.

Thanks for the replies, but I'm now even more confused.

1. Is an O visa a retirement visa?

2. If it's a retirement visa, I've read that I need proof of income, but you say that I can get this visa from Hull without proof of income. What's so special about Hull?

3. Are you saying I can get this in Hull but not in London.

4. Just to make sure I understand you both correctly, you are saying I can apply for an O visa (retirement visa) in Hull, UK and I will get a 12-month visa that will allow multiply entry. I will also need to leave the country every 90 days (not a problem for me).

5. Why is there the proof of income requirment if I can do it without it? Or is the difference that if I have proof of income, I don't need to leave the country?

Thanks for you help.

1. No. But you can obtain in Hull for visiting friends or checking on retirement options.

2. Para one - most Consulates do not issue for visiting friends.

3. Yes.

4. O visa - not retirement - Hull can not issue retirement OA visa and that would require financial paperwork in any case.

5. One is a visa that few Consulates will issue and requires exit every 90 days. The other allows you to remain in Thailand and never leave if you meet the conditions each year.

1. No. But you can obtain in Hull for visiting friends or checking on retirement options.

2. Para one - most Consulates do not issue for visiting friends.

3. Yes.

4. O visa - not retirement - Hull can not issue retirement OA visa and that would require financial paperwork in any case.

5. One is a visa that few Consulates will issue and requires exit every 90 days. The other allows you to remain in Thailand and never leave if you meet the conditions each year.

So how do I apply? Do I call the consulate in Hull or can I get the form online? What should I say to them? That I'm considering retiring in Thailand but need a year to explore my options?

Have a look at this link. Minimal paperwork. You will need to send in application form, passport, recent passport sized photograph and fee by special delivery. Suggest you enclose a pre-paid special delivery envelope for return of your passport/visa - will cost about £4, otherwise Hull will charge an £8 return postage fee. The visa is routinely issued by this consulate so should not be a problem.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

I've now found the visa application for for Hull consulate. It all seems straightforward apart from this part...

Evidence substantiating purpose of visit:

Extra evidence, as detailed below, is required only for Non-Immigrant Visas Categories “B” and “ED”:-

Category “B” = Letter from sponsor or copy of company documents or valid work permit

Category “ED” = Sponsor letter from educational establishment

Category “O” = Copy of Marriage Cert (if married to Thai national) or Pension Book or Sponsor Letter

I will be applying for an O visa, but don't have any of the proofs required. Any advice?

You do not need proof of funds. This section of the consulate website is rather confusing as combines the requirements of different visas together. You need to look at the text you state in conjunction with 'Purpose of Visit'

Purpose of visit:

NON-IMMIGRANT:

'O' = Friends/family, Extended Stay, UK Pensioner, Volunteer Worker, Seek Work

Evidence substantiating purpose of visit:

Category 'O' = Copy of Marriage Cert (if married to Thai national) or Pension Book or Sponsor Letter

Read the website text this way:

Friends/Family: Nothing required

Extended Stay: Copy of marriage certificate (if married to Thai), otherwise nothing required

UK Pensioner: Pension Book

Volunteer Work: Sponsor Letter

You will not have a problem applying on basis of visiting friends; you can give the consulate a call to confirm if you are still unsure.

Tou get a non-O visa you don't need to show any income. Advise to apply at the consulate in Hull, you can do so by mail.

When In Thailand, yu can extend you permision to stay with one year, if you can show either an incoem of 65,000 baht a month OR have 800,000 in bankaccount in Thailand in your name for at least 2 months OR have money in a bankaccount plus a yearly income that together is more than 800,00 baht.

Income from abroad, as in your case, must be proven with a letter from your embassy. It is up to the embassy to decide what they will accept as proof. But rental income is generally accepted. You can inquire at your embassy in Thailand what they will accpet as proof.

Yes rental income IS "Income"..Income is income you can say..Just take your bank statemant copy to the British embassy pay 2,088baht and they will give you a letter to take to immergration to extend your visa when needed.But As Mario says get the visa in the UK first..

…Just take your bank statemant copy to the British …

I don’t think a bank statement is evidence of income.

w11guy, after a year in Thailand with the multiple-entry non-O visa you will probably already be letting your property in the UK and a letter of confirmation from the letting agency will be the supporting document to use to get the embassy letter.

--

Maestro

That is not an issue with any Embassy that I know of - if you have paperwork showing current income they are not speculating on what might happen next month.

But that does make an argument that it might be best to do the extension when you do have the money proof rather than assuming it will still be there six months later.

A bank statement from your UK bank is fine as proof of income at the British Embassy, I just got my letter last week.

Also, if your income is a bit limited, it might be better to consider the marriage visa rather than the retirement visa, the amount is 400K or 40K a month rather than the 650/65k for retirement. As your wife is Thai you qualify for that. As mentioned, get the Non O, one year, get the 12 month extension, then get the visa you need to stay long term.

• 2 weeks later...
Just to play Devil's Advocate, what if the tenants move out and you cannot find new ones.................

Rental income is not assured. :)

I live in an area where demand exceeds supply by a very large amount. There is no reason that it won't be rented out. I get letters from estate agents almost every month saying they have tenants waiting for apartments in this area. But if things changed and it didn't rent out then I'd cross that bridge if/when I got to it. I am not relying on rental income totally. I just want it to show I have an income. But can you show a cash amount instead of an income? If so, how much do you need?

Edited by w11guy

Just called the Hull consulate and they said to just send the form and they will return within 3 working days. They said not to expect any problems as it is very straightforward.

So thanks to everyone for their help with suggesting the Hull consulate and the 12-month visa.

That will do me for now. No point stressing about what to do in a year's time because it's anyone's guess what I'll want to do then. But if I need proof of income I'll take my bank statement and a letter from the estate agent.

Edited by w11guy

Just to play Devil's Advocate, what if the tenants move out and you cannot find new ones.................

Rental income is not assured. :)

I live in an area where demand exceeds supply by a very large amount. There is no reason that it won't be rented out. I get letters from estate agents almost every month saying they have tenants waiting for apartments in this area.

The British Embassy in Bangkok have confirmed to me that they are willing to take UK property rental income income into account so long as evidence in the form of a current tenancy agreement can be provided to them. Proof of actual rental receipts (e.g. in the form of managing agents' monthly statements) would also be useful.

Just called the Hull consulate and they said to just send the form and they will return within 3 working days. They said not to expect any problems as it is very straightforward.

So thanks to everyone for their help with suggesting the Hull consulate and the 12-month visa.

That will do me for now. No point stressing about what to do in a year's time because it's anyone's guess what I'll want to do then. But if I need proof of income I'll take my bank statement and a letter from the estate agent.

As per my previous reply, I doubt whether a simple estate agent's letter would suffice for proof of income purposes as far as the British Embassy was concerned. I would strongly advise you to get the tenancy issue sorted out with the assistance of reputable managing agents before you move out here, since you should then have at least 2 months under your belt come the time you need to provide the required income evidence.

Edited by OJAS

• 1 month later...
Have a look at this link. Minimal paperwork. You will need to send in application form, passport, recent passport sized photograph and fee by special delivery. Suggest you enclose a pre-paid special delivery envelope for return of your passport/visa - will cost about £4, otherwise Hull will charge an £8 return postage fee. The visa is routinely issued by this consulate so should not be a problem.

Can someone try downloading a file from the above. I need to apply for my visa but I can't open any of the files. They look like acrobat files, but if I try to open with Acrobat I get a message saying they may be corrupt.

Can someone try downloading a file from the above. I need to apply for my visa but I can't open any of the files. They look like acrobat files, but if I try to open with Acrobat I get a message saying they may be corrupt.

I managed to sort this out. I just opened as a Word file.

I managed to sort this out. I just opened as a Word file.

That was clever. They do, indeed, seem to have a problem with their website. I have now brought it to their attention.

--

Maestro