Jomtien Immigration Office

Tried to get my visa extension today at the Jomtien Immigration Office, what a bad experience. The farang who is helping the farangs when you get in is totally rude, he refuse to give me a ticket number before I fill the papers. So I fill the papers and got back in and I got a second refusal for a ticket number, the farang told me to come back in the afternoon because they were to many people. I got out of the office but coming out I saw him giving ticket number to other farang, I was very pissed off but decided not to do anything that can get me in trouble. Went to the restaurant next to the office to have breakfast. I came back early to get in line and the same farang was getting out of the office and he told us to come back the next morning because they were to many people and we didn't have number. I got very pissed off and told him in front of everybody that he refused to give me a ticket bur I saw him giving ticket to other farangs also told him that if I saw him in a bar in Pattaya that I will punch his light out. :D:)

Did I miss something, do I have to give tea money to the farang to get the ticket?

This office is way to small to handle that kind of load and mind you it's a new office.

I can wait to get my extension in Phuket so I will do so and be very happy to wait 1 or 2 hours at this well organized immigration office :D

Yeah, the tickets could be for 90 day reports, which take just a few minutes. I suggest arriving late in the afternoon, even for annual extensions. I have never waited longer than 20 minutes and never had a problem getting a ticket. The charge that a foreigner volunteer is taking bribes is outrageous, sorry.

Same happened to me one morning when applying for a reentry permit. I was told by same seriously obese farang they were too busy to accommodate me that day even though it was probably no later than 9:30am.

I went back the next morning and had it done.

Maybe Percival his ultra sweet Thai ticket # hander outer counter part is instructing him to do this as it was always his job in the past.

Phuket Immigration office is well organized and all the officials (except one) are generally jai dee. The chief of the office is a woman of very stern demeanor ((edit)) No messing around, tea money, nothing but quite efficient processing. The several farang aides are decent and helpful.

He was quite right to refuse a ticket if you had not completed the forms, otherwise people turn up at the officer's desk with a half completed form and delay the whole process while they complete the paperwork; and then still get sent away because the documentation is incomplete. Complete all the paperwork, then get a ticket; very sensible.

I was in on Monday and both the Thai and farang behind the counter were recommending that people come back the next day because it was so busy. No point giving out tickets if there is no chance of you being served on that day. As someone else has said, those being given a ticker were probably doing a 90 day report. I then went in on Tuesday morning and it was much quieter, had a visa processed in twenty minutes. Picked my passport up this morning when indeed it was very busy again.

The farang was probably Barry Kenyon, the British Consul, who, as far as I know, helps out in immigration for no remuneration. He and all the immigration staff do a pretty good job as far as I can see; especially given some of the difficult people they have to deal with....

I went there last Tuesday at around 9.30 for a 90 day report only to see people queued in and outside the building so I expected the worst.

Had my paperwork already prepared and quickly received a ticket from the very polite Thai officer behind the counter. Within 30 seconds the number came up and 5 minutes later I was walking out the door all done. Don't know what all the others were doing there...

I agree that nobody should be given a ticket until their forms are filled out.

As far as the well known volunteer. I won't go into details but I did ask him a question last year and he answered authoritatively to me. Then, it turned out later his advise was completely wrong. He gave the advice in good faith. However, I just mention it to not take any one person's advise as gospel, including high profile local people. Better to get a balanced view by educating yourself and also using this forum. If I had just taken this one's mans advise and not followed up on it myself, I would have had a very serious problem last year with my extension. Just a friendly warning.

Edited by Jingthing

Phuket Immigration office is well organized and all the officials (except one) are generally jai dee. The chief of the office is a woman of very stern demeanor ((edit)) No messing around, tea money, nothing but quite efficient processing. The several farang aides are decent and helpful.

You are totally right about the Phuket office. I am used to that kind of good service that's why I think the Jomtien office is a total chaos.

Just wondering - does the 'farang' doing voluntary work have a valid work-permit? :)

I would think so. If it is Barry Kenyon then he is the Honorary British Consul in Pattaya and has been for many years.

Just wondering - does the 'farang' doing voluntary work have a valid work-permit? :)

I would think so. If it is Barry Kenyon then he is the Honorary British Consul in Pattaya and has been for many years.

If it was the man I see on Monday it was not Barry Kenyon the man I see was very polite he took my paperwork out of my envelop checked it and gave me a number and then apologised for not putting it back they were very busy I have seen this farang nearly every time I have been to Immigration in the last 12 months

In my experience at the Pattaya immigration, patience is the way to go. You have to realise that not everyone is there to get their visa extended and that is why tickets are still being handed out after your refusal.

It is common practice to ask people to come back the next day because only the staff know how many people are waiting to have their extention done. It takes a while even if you have all the correct documentation. To avoid all the tension I now make sure all documentation is ready, all forms are filled out and arrive early to avoid what you have described. Getting upset and abusive at the immigration office will get you absolutely nowhere.Patience my friend.

The last three times I have gone to Pattaya Immigration for 90 days reports I have been in and out in less than 5 minutes. There of course will be days when there will be bottle necks. Recently though, I have been in and out quickly and only this last time did I require a ticket. Two times previous I was just told to go to the desk and have a seat.

The falang in question is indeed Barry Kenyon. He is an honorary British Consul and has no official function inside the immigration office unless it pertains to the British citizens entering there.

I must also admit that I have never seen him as rude to anyone but hel_l, we all have bad days. I do not agree with the OP the common practice is to have you return the next day. That is fairly recent. I have always been able to get in there by 0830 for visa extension and only be asked to return in the afternoon after lunch to get my passport. I also do a 90 days report and get a re-entry permit after I get the passport back as well.

Just finished a conversion from A-O to Retirement Visa at Jomtien. Had a letter of income verification from the US Embassy in Bangkok, filled out the application with an online from so everything was neatly typed in place, had my house lease and TrueMove bill, copies of passport pages and a passport size photo. Entered Immigration at 2PM on a Wednesday. It was crowded but I managed to get Barry's attention and before he would issue me a ticket he went through all my paperwork. He complimented me on how neat and organized it all was but informed me that I still needed a bank letter and copies of my bankbook pages. I decided to go home and return the next day with the additional information. Up Thepasit, across Sukhumvit, onto Khoa Noi I noticed a new Bangkok Bank so I went in and asked for the letter. Five minutes later I had a letter stating my account balance of 900 Baht. My pension check doesn't hit until the 1st of every month and my bank book reflects this so I took a chance and went back to Immigration. It was now approaching 4PM. I saw Barry again and he went through the paperwork, again with compliments on efficiency. He gave me a number and said it was the last issue of the day and it was now being called so I just went back to desk #6. The young officer checked the pages, removing some additional crap (letters of pension statement) which were unnecessary, handed it to the young lady next to him. She took my picture, asked for 1900 Baht and told me to go to the desk behind her. An older woman then scoured my paperwork page by page and informed me I had to put more money into my account. She did notice the prior deposits so this must have counted for something. My Visa expired on the 8th of March and this was the 24th of February. She told me she would issue a Visa good until March 8, 2011 and for me to return on Friday (2 days later) to pick up my passport. She issued me a numbered card. Went back on Friday, straight back to the last desk and had my brand new retirement Visa. A very good experience overall.

I now have a couple of questions that they could not answer. My 90 day report is due on March 2nd. I thought the new Visa would cover this but the young officer at the front said no and that I still must come in on the 2nd. Is this correct?

I would like to get a single re-entry while I am there because I plan to visit the US in July. Can I just get the reentry and fill it out when I firm up my plans or do I have to have exact dates and flights to get the re-entry permit?

If you have been doing extensions of stay, as it appears and would be the case if on an non immigrant OA visa/extension of stay previously the new extension of stay would not be considered an address report. If you were here on a 90 day visa entry before doing the extension of stay it should be considered an address report (that first time only).

Just did a 90 day thing, 5 minutes at Jomtien

A couple of weeks later, Retirement Visa renewal, 8 minutes

Wanted to covert to a Multiple Entry, TOOK ME 5 DAYS. What the heck is that all about?

Same thing, the falang (not his fault) kept telling me to come back afternoon, then come back tomorrow

Just unfortunate that I have to renew in high season and don't let anybody tell you that there aren't tons of tourists in Thailand this year!

Renewed my Retirement Visa. Picked it up the next day and had to start all over again for the Multiple Entry Visa. Started Thursday, finally got it next Tuesday after waiting 5 hours and not listening to the falang who told me to come back tomorrow for the 4th time. Now all set till high season next year........

Why is it not possible to apply for the Multiple Entry in the first place? The big delay is because they put you in a lineup with all the tourists who are looking for 30 day extensions to their free visas.

You obtained a new one year extension of stay for retirement - you did not obtain a retirement visa. The terminology can cause confusion. Visas for retirement are not issued in Thailand.

You must have the extension of stay stamp before you obtain a re-entry permit. They are separate actions (I have not obtained a re-entry permit for the last five years). Once you have the stamp you can apply (as the re-entry will use that stamp for its expiration date). They are not directly connected with each other - you can get a re-entry permit for any type of entry if you want.

Pattaya I suspect has more than the normal number of 'longer stay' tourist visa holders so an abnormal number of extension of stay requests.

I went in last week about 11:00am and it was packed so returned the next day at 8:30 am I was 6 weeks over my 90 day report and as the law is a 2,000 baht fine slipped the one officier 1,000 and got my new 90 day report. Also needed an extension for my Cambodian gf visa.

all in all in and out in 10 minutes and smiels all around.

Phuket is great

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the Phuket office for my extension and I confirm that this office is quite efficient and well run. I went in, fill the papers, they gave me the number and 15 min later I was out with my extension. They took around 5 minutes for each extension so the service is very fast. If you know the chief office woman give her my best regards for her well run office.

Same happened to me one morning when applying for a reentry permit. I was told by same seriously obese farang they were too busy to accommodate me that day even though it was probably no later than 9:30am.

Well, Mel Gibson. That fat bastard was probably jealous of your good looks. Why not start the reply with "I was told by a farang volunteer they were too busy".