Virtues Of Thai People.

Neeranam

One of the reasons I choose to live in Thailand is the general tolerance of the people. I like their compassionate, merciful natures. I love the way they go out of their way to help strangers, foreigners, and family.

I love the way that they don't run about with only work and money and improving their social standing, size of house etc. on their minds, like they do in my country. Well maybe in Bangkok they do, but that isn't real Thailand!!

I have been here for over a decade and sometimes have to remind myself what I like about this country and why I am here.

I love this country, but sometimes, like many good things in life when they become "common place" they are forgotten and I am not as grateful as I should be. That is why I am taking a little time out today to remember why I live here.

I am going on a trip today with my beautiful Thai family to a beautiful nearby lake, with cheap, good accomodation. The weather is beautiful, the first day of the rainy season, although not raining now, if that makes sense!

Sabai, Sa Ngop Sook.

I never said that in my home country.

Why do you choose to live here?

What do you like about Thai people?

NN

• Thanks 1

For five years I been worked here, I felt Thailand is my second home. THai people are friendly and you can see their smile most of the time. As mentioned they are so willing to entertain and help foreigner. They are very hospitable and very kind. Almost the same feeling I had when Im home (my Country). if I have a good chance I may bring my Family to stay here as well. :o:D

That is why I am taking a little time out today to remember why I live here.

Good advice Neeranam.

Sometimes we become a bit self-centred and focus on the daily trivial things hey?

I like the Thai open and generous nature... I'm not talking about scammers (like BKK tuk-tuk drivers, or the BIB, or the political power jugglers etc), I'm talking about the real people... the villagers... the kids... the elders... etc.

I have never experienced such fantastic people anywhere else in the world.

:o

That is why I am taking a little time out today to remember why I live here.

Good advice Neeranam.

Sometimes we become a bit self-centred and focus on the daily trivial things hey?

I like the Thai open and generous nature... I'm not talking about scammers (like BKK tuk-tuk drivers, or the BIB, or the political power jugglers etc), I'm talking about the real people... the villagers... the kids... the elders... etc.

I have never experienced such fantastic people anywhere else in the world.

:D

That's true, I been in North East Area once and the people are so great. :D:D I enjoyed my few days vacation there. :o

i love here and live here when i was born i know you are envying me , i love my land but i hate very hot weather of thailand, it is in conflict :o. Thais people are kind and welcome farangs becoz Farangs are na rak wiht thai people then thai people spent smiles to you :D ,i dont doubt why did farangs guys get marry wiht thai ladies, becoz they want to see loving smiles of here

Thais people are kind and welcome farangs becoz Farangs are na rak wiht thai people...

I'm not sure what you mean by this impossible_me... :o

Can you explain some more?

Footnote: for those TV members that don't know, impossible_me is a Thai girl, so please keep that in mind if replying/commenting on her post.

Thais people are kind and welcome farangs becoz Farangs are na rak wiht thai people...

Footnote: for those TV members that don't know, impossible_me is a Thai girl, so please keep that in mind if replying/commenting on her post.

JD, I think the lady means"thai people are kind and welcome farangs because farangs are in love with thai people " MMM nice sentiments ,sort of 'SMILE AND THE WORLD SMILES WITH YOU "

JD, I think the lady means"thai people are kind and welcome farangs because farangs are in love with thai people " MMM nice sentiments ,sort of 'SMILE AND THE WORLD SMILES WITH YOU "

I think you're right ozzydom. :D

Warm fuzzies.... :D

The loyalty and solidarity of the family which envelopes you when you marry (before the cynics comment, I am not a rich farang).

The respect shown you, when you return a smile and show respect to whoever you meet (I have only ever met one “bad” Thai and my father in law nearly shot the man because he showed disrespect to my wife).

The importance of friendship.

The slow, lazy way a conversation can develop over a beer or whisky and end up with singing and dancing.

But of course, what is absolutely unique is found in the nickname LOS. No other land in the world comes near to earning this title.

The Siamese smile charms everyone.

What a lovely warm and fuzzy topic. At our small community in the Australian outback (population 6), our farang chef married his Thai sweetheart last week. They are going on holidays later this week. He will take her to meet his parents on the east coast of Australia, then they will visit her family in Khon Kaen.

She is a typical country Thai lady. Very sweet and kind to everybody who meets her. We are helping her with her English. She is teaching all of us a bit of her language.

The two Managers have decided to take holidays in Thailand after meeting her.

I will head back to Issan to see my partner in a couple of months.

That only leaves one staff member who is considering Thailand for his next holiday.

To those TV readers who have only dreamed about visiting Thailand, you will find it is called the Land of Smiles (LOS) for a reason.

Please don't just visit the major tourist spots in Thailand. Try and get away to the countryside and meet some of the locals.

They are some of the most genuinely friendly people on this planet.

Peter

• Thumbs Up 1

What is known as Sin Ha or the 5 virtues is fantastic.

No Smoking, no Drinking, no Lies, no killing and no cheating on your wife. when you meet people like this, you can only aspire to that.

Thomas Aquinas claimed that there are four fundamental virtues which are prudence, temperance, justice, and fortitude.

But TA never visited Siam, unlike that fellah in the avatar.

Good point and like most good points it brings up a good question. Are virtues universal or are they culturally dependent. I think that TA viewed them as universal but I know next to nothing about him. You probably know more about him than I do. Am I correct? Also does that fellah in the avatar think that virtues are universal?

Thomas Aquinas claimed that there are four fundamental virtues which are prudence, temperance, justice, and fortitude.

Good point and like most good points it brings up a good question. Are virtues universal or are they culturally dependent. I think that TA viewed them as universal but I know next to nothing about him. You probably know more about him than I do. Am I correct? Also does that fellah in the avatar think that virtues are universal?

It is worth reading The Asian Journal of Thomas Merton again. This is the closest TM comes to bridging Christianity and Buddhism.

And the last writing he made before his death in Bangkok in 1968.

What a lovely warm and fuzzy topic. At our small community in the Australian outback (population 6), our farang chef married his Thai sweetheart last week. They are going on holidays later this week. He will take her to meet his parents on the east coast of Australia, then they will visit her family in Khon Kaen.

She is a typical country Thai lady. Very sweet and kind to everybody who meets her. We are helping her with her English. She is teaching all of us a bit of her language.

The two Managers have decided to take holidays in Thailand after meeting her.

I will head back to Issan to see my partner in a couple of months.

That only leaves one staff member who is considering Thailand for his next holiday.

To those TV readers who have only dreamed about visiting Thailand, you will find it is called the Land of Smiles (LOS) for a reason.

Please don't just visit the major tourist spots in Thailand. Try and get away to the countryside and meet some of the locals.

They are some of the most genuinely friendly people on this planet.

Peter

Three a side cricket match be interesting Pete, over the fence 6 and out :o

It is worth reading The Asian Journal of Thomas Merton again. This is the closest TM comes to bridging Christianity and Buddhism.

I thought that the avatar was you. I've never heard of The Asian Journal of Thomas Merton. I was hoping you'd give me your opinions in answer to the questions I asked.

I thought that the avatar was you. I've never heard of The Asian Journal of Thomas Merton. I was hoping you'd give me your opinions in answer to the questions I asked.

I would not presume to precis TM.

If you are really serious in your quest for knowledge, then reading the works of TM will help.

After all we wouldn't want to think you had other ambitions. :o

Divine patience with loved ones. Generosity and sharing. Tolerating and letting live. Not getting worked up because of minor details.

Gentleness, smiles, joking nature.

I really love Thailand.

That being said, as for straight-forwardness and logic, a bit more would also be appreciated.

• 17 years later...

Thais are not friendlier than others because they are biologically different from the rest of the world.

It's a cultural thing. They are raised with the teachings of Buddha. Among others: Show no outward anger/discontempt. Show no animosity. Be friendly and peaceful at ALL times. On the surface, this makes for a "pacifistic" environment.

Two worlds colliding: For the sake of "honesty" and straightforwardness, Farangs prefer to "speak their minds" not afraid of confrontation in order "to clear the air".

To be sure: Thais are capable of feelings like anger, hate, revenge, jealousy etc etc just like all the other earthlings.

Not having understood this (having been lulled-in by the benighn Thai behaviour) has caused a lot of grief for Farangs and Thais. But mostly for Farangs.