Good (modest) Car For Expat And Family?

corkman

Hi All,

I'd love to get myself a BMW 3 series, or even a Fortuner, but I am thinking more in the proce range of a Yaris. There is basically myself, my Mrs., and a 3 year old. For use primarily in and around Bkk suburbs. Questions:

1. Any recommendations?

I know certain brands offer better value for money than others in Bkk, due to region of manufacture etc. while others a taxed heavily. So I ask, if it were you, what would you buy for somehwere in the Baht 500-600k.

2. Finance Options?

I could probably get the cash together to purchase outright (if in the 500k region) but I am open to (and unknowledgable of) finance options in Bkk. I am not adverse to leasing if it is cost affective, nor am I against "baloon payment" options, again if it is cost effective. Any opinions, suggestions, or otherwise would be aprpecaited.

Generally, I am open to comments like "if you could stretch an extra 10% you'd get an xyz" and similarly. Basically what I am asking is, 'what would you do, what have you done, and what would you NOT do'.

Many thanks in advance!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically the two choices are the Honda City/Jazz or the Toyota Vios/Yaris. Everything else will have a negative such as poor resale, poor aftersales support, etc. Sure you won't stand out in either but you won't regret it either when it comes time to sell.

Yes, I am sure this advice is the best really. I am a rebel by nature, not going to change now at almost 60. The government are no more than criminals with their 300% import tax.

My attitude tends to be you can shove your cars up your arse then. If I buy new import, I have them become a victim of government extortion, so it has to be an old one where the value has dropped to be comparable to a Jap.

I also find the local stuff very unappealing, plastic fantastic interiors, and the Yarris in particular must be one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen, perhaps it's good in other respects, never driven one.

I have owned two BMW 3 series here, and must say I was happy with them. Cost of repairs wasn't so bad, not as easy as owning a local car perhaps, but when I sold I got my purchase price back. I at least felt some pride of ownership which I would never have with a local Jap.

I recently bought an old Audi 100, which has turned into a bit of a nightmare. Maybe I have been unlucky with that one.

When I sell that I will likely buy another old Beemer. When you drive you feel you are sitting in some quality.

I tend to go with my heart not always the best, depends on how you feel. If I bought a local Jap, it would never be washed, cleaned or taken care of, I would hate it. If I had a free choice as to what I bought then it may be different, but I think I would still buy a Beemer.

I would consider the honda city / jazz. The top models are around 700K. Good resale, quality and quite fuel efficient. The recent auto section of the BKK post, if it means anything, put the jazz as number one of 4 similar cars.Thgen there is the ford fiesta due out soon. Your best bet is to test drive a few models and see what you like. Avoid newish second hand as the price is not much lower, and interest rates can be high. They might be worth considering if you can pay cash though. Personally I would stretch it to a larger car (I have a civic). The jazz and similar are quite small - I wouldn't want to be hit hard by a pickup in one of them. Its not that they aren't safe in their own right; its just there are much larger cars on the road.

Yes, I am sure this advice is the best really. I am a rebel by nature, not going to change now at almost 60. The government are no more than criminals with their 300% import tax.

On the other hand, quite succesfully, the same Government try to keep jobs and money in Thailand.

Also on the other hand if one wants an imported car it is one's own choice to help the Government keeping jobs and money in Thailand.

And again on the other hand, you being a self-proclamed rebel, buy an imported car, take finance (if available), help the Government.

But, indeed, Honda Jazz and Totoya (meant to be wrong) are, for the time being, the best bet for 500 k plus .

For the use you intend, a smaller car like these would be a good bet, both are rather strong, and the inside measurements are quite generous.

In fact, they feel, and sometimes are, much roomier as bigger models.

Yes indeed, there are a lot of bigger cars on the road.

Oh yes, and a lot of buses and big trucks.

So to be on the safe(r?????) side you could buy a second hand truck.

But the again, seen your intended use, something like that on the streets in Bangkok and surrounds, maybe a little over the top.

Basically the two choices are the Honda City/Jazz or the Toyota Vios/Yaris. Everything else will have a negative such as poor resale, poor aftersales support, etc. Sure you won't stand out in either but you won't regret it either when it comes time to sell.

seconded, and finance is easy on these. expect 40% down if you have no thai credit history, or 10% down if your rating is excellent. 2,35% interest presently

On the other hand, quite succesfully, the same Government try to keep jobs and money in Thailand.

Also on the other hand if one wants an imported car it is one's own choice to help the Government keeping jobs and money in Thailand.

And again on the other hand, you being a self-proclamed rebel, buy an imported car, take finance (if available), help the Government.

The government care that much about local jobs they all drive Mercedes. C'mon, they don't care a toss about local workers, only care about how much they can make for their own pockets. Generally that applies all around the world, not just here. I don't know if there is anywhere else with such a horrendous import tax though. Correct me if I am wrong. 

Anyway, now a bit off topic, so I say no more on that one. I cannot comment much on Japanese cars as I have never owned one, drove a few, but generally I just sit in them, and that's the end of it, I just find them unappealing. The Japs actually do make some much more desirable cars, but again they are all imports, the stuff here, I don't want.

My rebellious attitude does cause me headaches in respect of spares etc, more expensive and difficult to find, but I have enjoyed ownership. I glance back, when I park up, you know what I mean, I wouldn't do that with a Toyota, unless an MR2, "yea baby, nice", again imported.

The government care that much about local jobs they all drive Mercedes. C'mon, they don't care a toss about local workers, only care about how much they can make for their own pockets. Generally that applies all around the world, not just here. I don't know if there is anywhere else with such a horrendous import tax though. Correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, now a bit off topic, so I say no more on that one. I cannot comment much on Japanese cars as I have never owned one, drove a few, but generally I just sit in them, and that's the end of it, I just find them unappealing. The Japs actually do make some much more desirable cars, but again they are all imports, the stuff here, I don't want.

My rebellious attitude does cause me headaches in respect of spares etc, more expensive and difficult to find, but I have enjoyed ownership. I glance back, when I park up, you know what I mean, I wouldn't do that with a Toyota, unless an MR2, "yea baby, nice", again imported.

IF the government all drive Mercedes, thats great for local thai jobs cause they are made in LOS :) A class from 2 mill baht to 500SEL at 11 mill baht :D

IF the government all drive Mercedes, thats great for local thai jobs cause they are made in LOS :) A class from 2 mill baht to 500SEL at 11 mill baht :D

Really, I didn't know that, who'da thought it! Anything else nice that's made here? Someone mentioned Ford Fiesta.

Everything Pattayabuggy says is correct, but he comes to the wrong conclusion (for anyone else but himself). In Thailand cars are utilitiarian, nothing more. They aren't sexy, jazzy or "fun", they just get you from point A to point B, and the good ones do it efficiently, reliably, safely and in comfort. An old BMW fails on at least 2 of those requirements. And your getting old technology (which was admittedly first class when it was new, but things change). Perhaps as an around the town second car with a reliable 1st car, an old BMW could make an interesting "toy", but not as an only car for a family. If you want to pay half (or more) of the purchase price as tax to the Government, then there are many options in the B 2 to 11 Baht range. If not, its Toyota and Honda, ONLY -- full stop. And they are both wonderful options for good, solid, efficient utilitarian transportation. Hondas are great, but I think that Toyota is a better overall choice. Look at the taxis in Bangkok (or anywhere else in Thailand), 99.56% Toyota. As the taxi drivers tell me, it has to do with maintenance cost and maintenance options. In the price range you are suggesting, there is the Toyota Vios, Yaris and the Honda City. The Yaris is a very ugly car, but I think that design offers more interior space. An Altis with more room could be had for a bit more (starts at about B700k). The available models are worth considering. The Vios is amazingly roomy for a very small car, with a strong air conditioner and a suprisingly good stereo system. The "E" model is the most popular, but the "G" model has a folding rear seat, which makes it especially handy for carrying longer kids items, etc. For mainly around town driving, they (the Vios or the City) will provide everything that you "need" a car for (minus the "fun" factor). As has been said many times on this forum, buy new. The price reduction on a used car in Thailand does not justify buying used. So, the Government has narrowed your choices, but it has still left you with some very good ones.

Really, I didn't know that, who'da thought it! Anything else nice that's made here? Someone mentioned Ford Fiesta.

Made in LOS

Benz, A, C, E, S, SEL

BMW 3, 5, 7

Ford, several models including Fiesta starting March I believe

Toyota, Vios, Yaris, Altis Corolla, Camry, Fortuner, Vigo

Honda, City, Jazz, Civic, Accord

Nissan, Tiida, Teana, Navara

list goes on, more than one million units a year, more than 50% exported

Made in LOS

Benz, A, C, E, S, SEL

BMW 3, 5, 7

I am out of touch, just checked out the new Fiesta on the Internet, what a monstrosity, it's even uglier than a Yarris! I owned two Fiestas in the UK in the 80's lovely little 2 door cars, I was thinking of a newer version of something like that. Ah well, looks like being another Beemer! I will tolerate the difficulties to own something which gives me pleasure, rather than a domestic appliance type of vehicle.

Made in LOS

Benz, A, C, E, S, SEL

BMW 3, 5, 7

I am out of touch, just checked out the new Fiesta on the Internet, what a monstrosity, it's even uglier than a Yarris! I owned two Fiestas in the UK in the 80's lovely little 2 door cars, I was thinking of a newer version of something like that. Ah well, looks like being another Beemer! I will tolerate the difficulties to own something which gives me pleasure, rather than a domestic appliance type of vehicle.

Like in Eastern Europe 30 years ago. Choices are very limited and in this priceranges you can get only the 2 (boring) brand named above. Sad but true! Feel sorry for that.

Edited by stingray

Like in Eastern Europe 30 years ago. Choices are very limited and in this priceranges you can get only the 2 (boring) brand named above. Sad but true! Feel sorry for that.

and mazda, and proton, and soon Ford Fiesta, and Nissan Tiida, and Suzuki Swift, thats 7 brand names in LOS 5-700k range as I recall at the moment

but the major players 5-700k are still the pickups, Izu, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsu, Chevy, Ford, Mazda, Tata, any forgotten?

With a new one, you'll be able to get financing from the bank, with a pretty low interest rate.

And you'll get a new one, sure of the quality and good resale value if you go for the main brands.

Buying a second-hand car in Thailand is just not that attractive actually, too expensive and with no guarantee the car won't fall apart within a few months after you bought it. :)

Whats wrong with the site? I can't edit nor post replies, only quick responses?? It has been that way for a week or so now I just wasn't posting but tried about a week ago I have also signed on and off but no change..

I wanted to add to the above post and say that of the few I've seen being resold they seem to hold decent resale value as well.

*edit* I can quick edit though I see, but to be more specific I couldn't use my cursor to begin a post in those other function modes..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Anyway the market is totally upside down here as major German brands which hold much higher resale value over time due to higher quality in other markets drop dramatically here and I'd take a BMW,Mercedes or VW over any Jap brand.. But here though you pay really high prices for a new German brand (taxes not withstanding) they do not finance them for nearly as long nor do they hold their value due to lack of future financing and overall consumer ignorance of the brands..

I am finding this discussion very interesting and informative, thank you all. I hope it also helps the original poster.

My Audi has been terrible as regards reliability, but I don't blame quality or anything like that, it's simply old. I am normally very easy going and expect any old car to give problems from time to time, normal. But this is the unluckiest car I have ever owned. So I wonder what to do in the future. I do like German cars, I think overall they are the best.

My problem is I find just about every Japanese car pig ugly, certainly everything made here, as if the factories are in a competition to see who can design the ugliest creation. I just looked up Niisan Tiida, no exception, horrible. On the same web page, I scrolled down to find Audi A5, beautiful, looks great.

Looks aren't everything I know, but I find it hard to buy something I find ugly, know what I mean?

Funny thing is, I have seen the Protons running about, and I think they look really nice. They have that nice clean look. Japanese are tasteless, all chrome bits and badges all over the boot lid, and headlamps that look like Marty Feldman's eyes.

The Honda Civic isn't bad actually, that's the only one I find even remotely attractive to look at. Maybe I go and try a test drive in one.

I do need to think what to do for the future, but I do know a nice Beemer will still be the most tempting.

Thanks to you all.

The Honda Civic isn't bad actually, that's the only one I find even remotely attractive to look at.

Actually the Honda Civic is very good.

If the OP can afford to shell out a bit more money, I would indeed go for that one.

More suited for a family than the City.

Edited by eurasianthai