Boddington's Pub Ale, The Cream Of Manchester

zaphodbeeblebrox

Friendship is a pricey market. I only shop there when I go to TukCom, and use Friendship for their car park. I run in and buy a few things at Friendship and get a validation stamp. I noticed two posting about specials at Friendship: back bacon and Heladiv teas (English Breakfast and Ceylon). Well, I picked up a few liters of coca-cola and a bright yellow can catches my eye. BODDINGTON'S. I couldn't believe my eyes.

In the U.S., I became addicted to Boddington's. It was the only beer I could drink in quantity. A large amount of beer upsets my stomach, but Boddington's is naturally carbonated, and I can drink a lot without any unpleasant effect on my stomach. The thing I missed most when I moved to Thailand was Boddington's. I've never seen it sold in Thailand before. So, for the last two years, I haven't had a sip of alcohol. I even have a bottle of unopened Glenfiddich that I picked up in Cambodia from a border run in October '07. I've never been a heavy drinker, but I really miss drinking good British ale.

So, as I sit here, now that the beer has been brought down to temperature, I am about to pop the top, and ignite the CO2 cartridge. The price is 138 baht per pint can, which is almost what I would pay for a 4-pack in the U.S.

Anyway, cheers, and I will definitely treat myself once a month to my favorite beer from now on.

boddington.jpg

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

That is great news!

I missed seeing them in Friendship, but I'll look out for them next time.

2.75 GBP per pint!

A bit more actually when you take into account the exchange commission. Assuming Friendship will only accept payment in baht, you may visit Kasikorn Bank just down the street from Friendship; suggest you take 3 GBP with you to be sure you'll receive at least the needed 138 baht.

Was drinking San-Mig last night and i was thinking to myself "this is piss" :) so I will head down today and grab a few cans of Bods... whats the best temp for serving ??

Do Friendship enforce that retarded rule of not serving between 2 and 5 or whatever the hel_l it is ?

Was drinking San-Mig last night and i was thinking to myself "this is piss" :) so I will head down today and grab a few cans of Bods... whats the best temp for serving ??

Do Friendship enforce that retarded rule of not serving between 2 and 5 or whatever the hel_l it is ?

54 degrees fahrenheit, 12 degrees celsius

I don't know about the 2-5pm rule, I bought mine around 1pm.

I'd love to see Tangle Foot or Old Speckled Hen sold somewhere here - or better yet - on tap at a real British-style pub with polite staff, smoking permitted and no slags full stop.

One can dream.

Slags here? Pesky women in another thread?

Is that the piss weak San Mig Lite or have you tried the San Mig Pale Pilsen? In a brown bottle, not generally available in bars and only seen in smally bottles at certain Family Marts (never in a 7-eleven) and in Carrefour. In big bottles only at most Tesco's.

If you do get Boddington's, it needs to be served cold as all buggery or else it tastes <deleted>... like most beers.

No alcohol sales before 11am and between 2pm and 5pm... so send the wifey out early.

Edited by NanLaew

I'd love to see Tangle Foot or Old Speckled Hen sold somewhere here - or better yet - on tap at a real British-style pub with polite staff, smoking permitted and no slags full stop.

One can dream.

Missing the uk then are we?

One can dream.

Seems like it. :)

And I bet they would all sit around the bar, sucking their tabs right down to the filter, cradling their warm beer (one pint/hour) with nicotine stained fingers and wingeing about the lousy exchange rate for the pound.

In reply to the above poster.

Friendship Supermarket does not enforce the alcohol ban from 1400-1700. It only observes the holy days eg. Last Sunday Makkha Buucha Day.

FYI: Big C, Carrefour and TOPS do enforce the alcohol curfew.

Friendship & Foodland do not.

One can dream.

Seems like it. :)

And I bet they would all sit around the bar, sucking their tabs right down to the filter, cradling their warm beer (one pint/hour) with nicotine stained fingers and wingeing about the lousy exchange rate for the pound.

Well the last time i was in the UK last year the pub trade was dwindling and also no smoking in any premises anymore....the bar staff where as miserable as sin..the only saviour was indeed a nice pint of cider and of course good old Holts bitter....obviously the no slags comment means you prefer drinking in the vault?

Friendship Supermarket does not enforce the alcohol ban from 1400-1700. It only observes the holy days eg. Last Sunday Makkha Buucha Day.

excellent information... unfortunatley I ended up in Tesco Lotos today as the mrs wanted to get a bag of Tesco dogfood.. they had signs proclaiming the 2-5 ban so couldn't but any alcohol as i was there about 4pm

Well, it looks like i'm going to limit my weekly shopping to Friendship and Foodland from now on... anyway they do have the best selection of booze and fags :D so up yours, Carrefour, Tops, Tesco. Big C :)

excellent information... unfortunatley I ended up in Tesco Lotos today as the mrs wanted to get a bag of Tesco dogfood.. they had signs proclaiming the 2-5 ban so couldn't but any alcohol as i was there about 4pm

Well, it looks like i'm going to limit my weekly shopping to Friendship and Foodland from now on... anyway they do have the best selection of booze and fags :D so up yours, Carrefour, Tops, Tesco. Big C :)

If you ever get stuck out-of-hours at Carrefour, use their free home delivery service and buy three cases of beer. The alcohol curfew does not apply to those people who buy 10 litres or more of beer.

If you ever get stuck out-of-hours at Carrefour, use their free home delivery service and buy three cases of beer. The alcohol curfew does not apply to those people who buy 10 litres or more of beer.

Nope, unless i am told otherwise, I will continue filling my trolley with acoholic beverages that are on display, only to be told i cannot purhase them at the checkout.... I feint confusion and indignation and walk away leaving a trollyfull of groceries behind me...

Obviously you have to rotate this ploy so they don't regonize you but i have great satisfaction doing this for the last year.....the more expats that do this the better and maybe this stupid law is changed (or ignored)

Not sure about Friendship but Foodland does enforce the rule, definitely.

It is not the supermarkets who make this law, unfair to let them pay for it. I'm sure they would love to sell booze 24/7.

Agree it's a stupid law but tell that to the politicians who made it.

Edited by Phil Conners

Not sure about Friendship but Foodland does enforce the rule, definitely.

It is not the supermarkets who make this law, unfair to let them pay for it. I'm sure they would love to sell booze 24/7.

Agree it's a stupid law but tell that to the politicians who made it.

Foodland, Pattaya Klang?

I bought a 3l box of wine there last week at about 3.00pm no problem.

Maybe I was lucky.

^ Yes, it's the only Foodland we have in Pattaya. I don't know, maybe it was a weekend, maybe the cashier was sleeping or maybe 3L is considered "bulk purchase" (which for some weird reason is exempt).

138 baht for a pint of Boddington in Friendship supermarket sounds a lot considering it's 140 baht during happy hour at Tropical Berts pub.

Edited by Phil Conners

^ Yes, it's the only Foodland we have in Pattaya. I don't know, maybe it was a weekend, maybe the cashier was sleeping or maybe 3L is considered "bulk purchase" (which for some weird reason is exempt).

138 baht for a pint of Boddington in Friendship supermarket sounds a lot considering it's 140 baht during happy hour at Tropical Berts pub.

Does Tropical Bert's have Boddingtons? I wasn't aware of any bar stocking it.