Police Release Sketch Of Thailand's Largest Bank Bombing Suspect

webfact

Police release sketch of Thailand's largest bank bombing suspect

gallery_327_1086_48.jpg

BANGKOK: -- (TNA) – Thai police have released an artist's sketch of a man suspected of throwing a hand grenade at the Bangkok Bank’s Silom Road branch as they believe the incident might be linked to another three bombings at the bank's other branches.

Metropolitan Police Bureau chief Pol Lt-Gen Santan Chayanont said the sketch drawn from witness' accounts which matched the image recorded by the bank's surveillance cameras was useful for solving the bombing cases at four branches of the Bangkok Bank in Bangkok and the neighbouring province of Samut Prakan.

He said the police knew the group that the suspect belonged to and believed that the incidents were politically motivated and were the work of the same group.

Metropolitan Police spokesman Pol Maj-Gen Piya Uthayo released the sketch of the suspect to the media, showing the suspect in his 30s with a large nose and high cheekbones with short hair.

Witnesses said he was a passenger on a motorcycle and threw the grenade at the bank office in Silom.

Gen. Santan ordered security stepped up in the capital on Sunday night when numbers of Buddhist faithful will go to temples across the city to perform Buddhist religious ceremonies on Makha Bucha Day.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, who oversees national security, also ordered police to set up additional checkpoints, to patrol the capital by motorcycle and on foot, as well as to work on intelligence.

He instructed the police to cooperate with the armed forces if they need reinforcement- (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-03-01

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Nice job by the witnesses who could clearly identify someone riding on the back of a motorbike at night. Good that the security cameras, which are usually in an elevated position, could clearly pick out his face too. :)

he could easily hang around in a could lets face it a sketch could be anyone, with no name or i.d. as shaggy says if they pulled him up he couldjust say " that wasn't me "

Edited by BigC

He don't look all that large to me.

Just normal-sized.

I would have expected someone extremely fat or 2.0metres tall.

Nah - this can't be Thailand's largest bank bomber.

(Or were they meaning he bombed Thailand's largest bank??) (Which is that? Anyone know?)

Sinister scowl - Check

Evil eyebrows - check

Pressed lips - Check

Weird hairdo - Check

Yes, ladies and genlemen we have a generic artistic rendition of what a stupid idiot looks like.

If there were no witnesses as reported, how now do they come up with an artist's rendering?

What about the CCTV images?

UPDATE

1 bombing suspect sketched

BANGKOK: -- (NNT) – The police have sketched one of bombing suspect in the Bangkok Bank’s grenade attacks, according to Metropolitan Police Chief, Police Lieutenant General Santhan Chayanont.

Police Lieutenant General Santhan said the investigation of the recent blasts was progressing well due to evidence from CCTVs and other sources. The suspect who threw a grenade at the Bangkok Bank’s Silom branch was male, the official said.

In addition, the metropolitan police chief said he believed that the sketched bombing suspect would be the same person who hurled an explosive object into Bangkok Bank's Prapradaeng branch in Samut Prakan province, since he wore the same clothes.

Police Lieutenant General Santhan viewed the bomb incidents in five spots last Saturday night might be politically motivated.

The bombs were hurled into four branches of the Bangkok Bank as well as one branch of Thanachart Bank. Two of them failed to explode and another bomb found at Thanachart Bank was a fake one. There has been no report of deaths and injuries.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-03-01

UPDATE

1 bombing suspect sketched

BANGKOK: -- (NNT) – The police have sketched one of bombing suspect in the Bangkok Bank’s grenade attacks, according to Metropolitan Police Chief, Police Lieutenant General Santhan Chayanont.

Police Lieutenant General Santhan said the investigation of the recent blasts was progressing well due to evidence from CCTVs and other sources. The suspect who threw a grenade at the Bangkok Bank’s Silom branch was male, the official said.

In addition, the metropolitan police chief said he believed that the sketched bombing suspect would be the same person who hurled an explosive object into Bangkok Bank's Prapradaeng branch in Samut Prakan province, since he wore the same clothes.

Police Lieutenant General Santhan viewed the bomb incidents in five spots last Saturday night might be politically motivated.

The bombs were hurled into four branches of the Bangkok Bank as well as one branch of Thanachart Bank. Two of them failed to explode and another bomb found at Thanachart Bank was a fake one. There has been no report of deaths and injuries.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-03-01

One look at the picture says it all!!!

Arrest warrant issued for bomber; PM receives 'underground movements' report

BANGKOK: -- (TNA) A Thai court has issued a warrant for the arrest of a man suspected to have thrown a bomb at Bangkok Bank’s Silom Road branch in central Bangkok during the weekend, while Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he has received an intelligence report on “underground movements” ahead of a planned mass rally by anti-government protesters aimed at toppling his administration.

Police asked the criminal court to issue an arrest warrant for a man aged slightly more than 30 whose picture was sketched from closed-circuit television installed at the bank and from evidence given by eyewitnesses.

If apprehended, the suspect would be charged for possessing explosives without license and would face a maximum 10-year imprisonment, police said.

Bangkok Bank’s Silom Road branch was one of four bank branches targeted for bombing on Saturday. Glass windows and the ceiling of the bank were damaged along with nearby telephone booths.

No casualties were reported in the incidents; two grenades exploded, one was defused, and one appeared to have been a dud.

Prime Minister Abhisit, meanwhile, told journalists on Monday that police had concluded that similar explosives were used at all four banks and were investigating which agency is using this kind of weapon.

He denied that his government has black-listed some key leaders of the anti-government movement of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) who plan to mobilise the group countrywide from March 12, converging on Bangkok for a mass protest on March 14.

Reports on what security agencies termed “underground movements” have been received but further investigation is needed, Mr Abhisit added. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-03-01

I think I saw a guy who looks exactly like the sketch in Chainat.... and in Bangkok..... and in Nakorn Sawan..... and in Saraburi.....Korat....

Seems everywhere I go, I see a guy who looks just like that.... so, it shouldn't be too hard to catch him :)

That narrows it down to 50% of the population. Nice work Sherlock.

Breaking News: The police have narrowed down the search further to 'guys with dark skin', ' drug users', 'communists', and Thaksin.

Edited by Changian

I think I saw a guy who looks exactly like the sketch in Chainat.... and in Bangkok..... and in Nakorn Sawan..... and in Saraburi.....Korat....

Seems everywhere I go, I see a guy who looks just like that.... so, it shouldn't be too hard to catch him :)

Tell the BiB. Quick !! And you can have that reward :D

That narrows it down to 50% of the population. Nice work Sherlock.

Breaking News: The police have narrowed down the search further to 'guys with dark skin', ' drug users', 'communists', and Thaksin.

and foreigner, probably Burmese immigrant.

There may be useful clues on the dud bomb - fingerprints, materials sources from....? ...or tool markings. There's at least on case file where a bomb maker has been convicted by scientifically tracing the tool markings on fragments - back to the tools owned by the bomber. We can all joke about the photo and other elements, but tossing bombs in a city is serious stuff. A car driver would be justified in running the motorbike over if he/she witnessed such an event. I'm just crazy enough to do something like that.

Does that look anything like a sketch to anyone here? It looks like a photograph to me.

gallery_327_1086_48.jpg

Digital Sketch? I know some police departments use a piece of software in the US that you basically choose different characteristics of a person, and it outputs a photo-like composite sketch.